'55 Masteramp 66...interior chassis photos (lots)

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Hello oddball amp people......

I have a nice '55 Guild Masteramp 66 and had mentioned I'd shoot some photos of the interior chassis for those that are interested.
Keep in mind that this one's been serviced and made fully functional. No longer a "museum piece" so the speak.
It has some replacement filter caps and other parts, as well as a hefty isolation transformer to solve its "hot chassis" circuitry and safety issues.
The RCA 12" speaker is original and is an excellent sound producer.
I know little about the details of the work.....my amp guy, Chris Davis of Wappinger's Falls NY did it all and I must say was very successful.
Some of you might pick up something useful to know by looking at these photos....and I'll try to be helpful if I'm able.

Its a beautiful sounding and balanced amp. Not really a Gibson or a Fender or even an Ampeg thing. Kind of HiFi...a surprisingly deep bass is there, but the overall sound is not boomy in either the bottom and lower mids. The trebles are round but still bright and bell like...not lacking or rolled off unless you choose to EQ it that way. I like its clean sound and it stays that way for me at the upper reaches of its output......others might push it over the line and get some distortion but thats not my preference.
Yes.....clearly I need to figure out how to do some recording and soundfiles!!

So here goes....this is the amp....

The interior and chassis....

Hope you like and find some of this helpful....

ziz

Last edited:

Wilfred

Reaction score
Very, VERY nice amp, interior ánd exterior. My own little old Guild amp has a very low clean treshold, it just loves to provide warm fuzzy feelings and sounds. Good to hear yours gives you the sounds you like.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks just like the amp I got in the mail except my new one has 3@12ax7s, 2@5881s and the power supply and 5U4 rectifier tube are in a box bolted to the bottom of the cabinet.
It looks like a precurser to the 99 + 66Js. Or maybe they were using up parts.

skinny

Reaction score
Wow zizala !
Nice specimen of an amp.
Yours and Defaults' amps are a lot prettier than mine.
I'd love to hear a sound bite.

skinny