Journey back in time

X-170AB

Reaction score
I really enjoy playing my two Guild archtops, both Westerly guitars - my namesake X-170 (from the 90s) and X-500 (from the 80s). But for some time I've wanted to find a vintage Guild, particularly one with a Franz pickup. I've become more and more a fan of older single coil pickups, so the Franz seemed likely to fit my preference.

When the chance finally came, it was beyond what I had hoped. Welcome to the time capsule. First, here's what the guitar came in:

nt04.jpg

And this piece of case candy, seemingly barely used, fit the timeframe:

is5e.jpg

Alright, enough suspense, here's the guitar, a blonde T-100, with a single Franz:

ho8v.jpg

h55n.jpg

c4ld.jpg

sntg.jpg

zkfn.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Excellent first post!! Welcome!! Beautiful guitar, and I like the strap, too - what year is the T100?

walrus

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's beautiful! Welcome to LTG; you came to the right place.
Let's see the rest of your collection....

X-170AB

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

The seller wasn't sure of the date. Actually, he advertised it as a '57, but I knew that wasn't correct because The Guild Guitar book says production of T-100s didn't start until 1958. What I've gathered from the book makes me think this one is probably a '58 or '59, for the following reasons:

Open book headstock with peaked logo - on most instruments by '59
Hoboken "Ghost" Label - used in '59 and '60
Waverly tailpiece - replaced with harp ca. '60
DeArmond-style clear knobs - used through '58

The logo is unfortunately blank, with no serial number or model name. I welcome Hans, or any other "Guild detectives", to weigh in and let me know if I'm adding up the facts correctly, or can shed any further light.

Regardless of its providence, its a great guitar, really lightweight and resonant (particularly for a laminate), and full of tone. The sound of the Franz is great, and the single-pickup configuration is the one I wanted. The only real issue is the shrunken binding on the cutaway - I may try to re-fit it, but as it seems stable for now I may just leave it alone.

Here's a bit more...

hyw7.jpg

85qq.jpg

x2v3.jpg

mbrindell

Reaction score
Hello and welcome. Beautiful T100. A couple of things to note. The T100 and CE 100 were released in 1956, but the dual pickup models T100D and CE100D came out in '58. I too would agree with Hans that it looks like a '59 or '60, but mine have amber knobs with numbers. I thought the barrel knobs were done in '57 or '58. I am sure Hans can shed some light on that though. It's a real beauty. Congrats.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Gorgeous T-100. I love those early blond Guild archtops. Welcome to LTG!