Price check: 1958/1959 T-50

maddox9

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a line on a nice, clean, all original T-50. Franz pickup, original pick guard, knobs, etc. Open book headstock.

What's a good price on one of these? It's in very, very nice condition.

Thanks in advance!

drc

Reaction score
IMO a good price on the "open market" prob. $1,200 - $1,500. Here prob. under $1,000.. LTGers are cheap stakes! LOL kidding kidding kidding.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There is/was a 1962 X-50 in the Philly area for a grand. Looked in nice shape.

maddox9

Reaction score
It's a single neck pickup, no cutaway, no logo on pick guard. Script logo on open book headstock. Clear skirted guild knobs. Harp tailpiece.

Could it be early 60s? I always associated the script logo with 50s but my guild knowledge is nowhere near your level, Hans!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It's a single neck pickup, no cutaway, no logo on pick guard. Script logo on open book headstock. Clear skirted guild knobs. Harp tailpiece. Could it be early 60s?

Yes, that could be early '60s. The earliest ones I've seen were in the # 14000-range, which would make them late-year-1960. Would be interesting to hear you've found an earlier one. Try to get a serial number and keep me posted!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

maddox9

Reaction score
Yes, that could be early '60s. The earliest ones I've seen were in the # 14000-range, which would make them late-year-1960. Would be interesting to hear you've found an earlier one. Try to get a serial number and keep me posted!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust

Will do! I'm going to check it out tomorrow morning. I'll report back with a serial number. If it plays well and sounds good, I may just snag it if the price is right and it truly is "all there"

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I have a T-50B serial number 14339 that I always assumed was a first year guitar from 1960.
I will always allow for exceptions!

Here 'tis........funky and well played, probably because for whatever reason this one's special.
Its.a blast to play with one of the nicest sounding Franz pickups of any Guild I have.
The finish has lots of wear....use but not abuse....and the script logo is there but has faded or been nearly rubbed away over the years.

Whats it worth? Priceless!
But to be honest.....I see these selling in a range from $800-$1200 .
I bought this one on Ebay four or five years ago for $560. Had a lot of "the guy" from South Carolna still well integrated with the finish......rub a dub dub........

ziz

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The earliest ones I've seen were in the # 14000-range, which would make them late-year-1960. Would be interesting to hear you've found an earlier one. Try to get a serial number and keep me posted!

Looked in my database and found another earlier batch with serial numbers in the # 13600-range, so that would be a little earlier than what I posted before, but still end of the year 1960.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

maddox9

Reaction score
Ok gentlemen! Here's what I've found out.

I played the guitar Saturday before heading out of state for a wedding gig. Serial number is in the 19000s, so assuming a '61 or '62 perhaps?

Man, it sounds great!! This was my first Franz experience, and I was quite impressed. The pickup is very chimey, which is nice for a neck pickup. It wasn't dark at all, but I could certainly jazz it up with the tone knob. The neck profile is excellent too; feels like a full C.

It's in great shape for its age. I was able to really inspect it, and the only thing I noticed was a potentially shimmed nut. Otherwise, everything worked well. Pots moved cleanly, great action with plenty of room on the bridge. Frets are in good shape. Original tuners. Pickguard DOES have the logo! Metal truss rod cover. The input jack was a little loose, but the shop will tighten it up for me. The seams on the back of the body were obvious, but not separated or anything. Take a look and tell me what you think!

BAF59948-4259-4859-B56F-5516311FE974-4520-00000218BDF4D0B2_zps28fa6137.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I like it! That looks really very nice - grab it!

walrus