First Post - New Guild Day! SFIV Content...

speakerjones

Reaction score
Hey all. Nice forum you have here. I'm new to Guilds myself. I've always been curious, and after finding what seemed like a good deal on Craigslist (such a rare thing these days) on a '67 Starfire IV, I decided to check it out. What a cool guitar! The seller had it set up through an old Princeton and it sounded fantastic. I had checked what to look out for with these guitars, namely the binding, the headstock laminate and having the original case. This all checked out, so after a brief negotiation, I am now the proud owner. Here are some pics from the CL post. I haven't had a chance to take any glamour shots of it myself yet.

36149153-DF7B-4A18-9802-C4DBA84C85F1-2799-0000050A6C1CC1A3_zps45fb321a.jpg

AFCED411-85B7-49C2-9549-D8EB2ADD0415-2266-000003D89B16B458_zps4a83f8b5.jpg

E2729BCC-B80D-41BC-B9CC-0F9ADE42C4D6-2799-0000050A94BA37D3_zps8f9134b8.jpg

So, the original owner would have done well to leave the pickguard on, but I can live with some play-wear. I was going to get a repro pickguard for it, but I kind of like the way it looks without one. Plus, while the pickguard is readily available on ebay for $60, I haven't had much luck locating the bracket to hold on said pickguard. Anyone have one in their parts drawer?

One oddity, and I figure someone here will know - I haven't seen another SFIV of this vintage with a master volume. The SFV's have them, and later SFIV's but in my research I haven't found any other 67 SFIV that have that feature. Was it an option you could order? Or is mine maybe just a transitional model/year? Doesn't really matter I guess, just curious.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG! Looks like a nice guitar, but I have no clue regarding the master volume on a '67 SFIV. Maybe added later, or a special order? Someone around here will have the answer.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
One oddity, and I figure someone here will know - I haven't seen another SFIV of this vintage with a master volume. The SFV's have them, and later SFIV's but in my research I haven't found any other 67 SFIV that have that feature. Was it an option you could order? Or is mine maybe just a transitional model/year? Doesn't really matter I guess, just curious.

Hello speakerjones,

Welcome! We talked about that guitar when it was still on Craigslist:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?178604-60s-Starfire-IV-with-a-master-volume

Maybe you could tell us what's the complete model designation that's written on the label! That might explain the Master Volume.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

speakerjones

Reaction score
It's a little hard to make out. It says "Starfire IV ??? Special". It might say "o/c" or "ok" or "ck".

speakerjones

Reaction score
Just read through the thread. It must say "Starfire IV Ch. Special", which I assume stands for Cherry? BTW, thanks all for the welcome and info!

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations on a beautiful SF. I love the Cherry.
By the way, I took the pickguard off of my SF4 because it bothered my playing, it was at the same level as the strings and got in the way. Maybe that's why the owner removed it.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just read through the thread. It must say "Starfire IV Ch. Special", which I assume stands for Cherry? BTW, thanks all for the welcome and info!

Perhaps "Special" explains the master volume on an SFIV.

speakerjones

Reaction score
Thanks! Cruising around the site a bit, I think I see some familiar screen names from my old haunt at the Hamer Fan Club. I guess we're all kind of one big incestuous family now eh? I was pretty psyched when I heard that New Hartford was tooling up to make Guild electrics, as I'm sure those guys do the name justice. I'm still itching to play a new one, but when I can get a classic one made in NJ for a quarter of the price...