Early 50s Mastearamp

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Early 50s Masteramp

2x 12AX7 for the preamps, 1 6SN7 for the tremelo, 2x 50L6 output tubes, 1x 35Z5 halfwave rectifier.

IMG_4159_zpsc1917fd8.jpg

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Preamp section of board.

board_zps0daa178d.jpeg

Silly repair.

IMG_4167_zps7b208e3e.jpg

Mis-wired power switch.

IMG_4168_zps03b57b5a.jpg

Output and power transformer.

IMG_4170_zpsc011e350.jpg

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
C'mon, really?

IMG_4171_zpsbaf83f27.jpg

You aren't supposed to use 60 year old caps as tiepoints.

IMG_4173_zps73bcaa45.jpg

Normall ac/dc amps didn't have transformers, but you know Guild!

IMG_4174_zps479fa55a.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wanna hear, wanna hear!

(What you don't like those gen-u-wine vintage zip ties?)

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Considering that it doesn't work at the moment...

Why he didn't just buy a CE multicap, I'll never know. It would have been much easier. As of this moment, the power switch has been bypassed and there isn't any juice to the heaters at all. I have to draw a schematic to try and figure out what this puppy is supposed to be like.:chargrined:

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Does it really have a green pilot light?

I was thinking that it was a repair not unlike what my 99-J looked like when I got it, but the cap inside did not extend outside the chassis...yet there is a clamp for it? Good luck with your detective work, Steve!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You sure the "silly repair' isn't a bomb Steve?... Cuz that's what it looks like to me.

man, my thoughts exactly. I don't know much about amps but I do know if I ever touched that thing i'd be in big trouble. Steve will do it right though i'm sure. and carefully!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's a clamp for it alright. Not sure what the values are supposed to be, though. I might just have to wing it. The really scary thing is the fuse and on/off switch are on the neutral not the hot.
I'm collaborating with a couple of guys on the Ampgarage forum, but one guy is in Indiana and the other guy is in NC.

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Nifty, neato little Guild amp.......

The tube layout looks like my '55 Model 66.....but I'm not knowledgeable enough about the working of the chassis layout and wiring to make a proper comparison. It might be a different thing inside.
So far I'm doing my best to learn a few things but I leave the work to my amp repair guy who's been able to get my assortment of old oddball amps working quite well.

I had offered up some photos of the chassis layout once upon a time but got preoccupied with crazy life and never got back to it.
I'll make a better effort if the info might help. Mine's been serviced and made safe with an isolation transformer, so there were some changes made.
You might see and understand whats stock and what isn't and possibly it might be of help.
The important thing is that it works well, runs quietly and is reliable (so far)...the old RCA 12" speaker does its job nicely.
I think it sat for years in a closet under its nice canvas cover for years waiting for someone to solve its problems!

ziz

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd love to see them! This amp has been meddled with, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

alpep

Reaction score
I have plenty of 50l6 and probably 35z5 if you need them

Wilfred

Reaction score
The outside looks very nice, the inside would send me running for the hills. But as you know I'm a technofobe and very grateful that my little Guild amp was sorted out properly before it arrived at my door. I'm confident that you'll be able to bring this one back to life, but please be careful, in some pictures it looks boobytrapped! ;-)

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Note: It appears that the RCA speaker in this particular amp is 6 ohms. I'm not aware of a direct replacement speaker that is 6 ohms, so I would just replace it with the the more common 8 ohm variety.