(belated) NAD - 1941 National

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I got this '41 National about 4-5 months ago (been so long I've forgotten). When I bought it, the seller said it had a good, but underpowered sound. When it arrived, it got a tube hum, but no signal. So, to the tech it went. And stayed...., and stayed..., and stayed..... He was able to get the underpowered signal early on ( a decaying wire to the pre-amp can cap), but he couldn't get full power. Then he had some family issues come up.
But finally, he was able to get back to it, and after finding 3 different schematics, none of which quite fit, he was able to correct some incorrect wiring fixes that a previous person had done. (Part of the fun was that the wiring was pure point-to-point, no board.)
2i6w.jpg

But he figured it out and got it back to full strength.
zyp2.jpg

7ubb.jpg

Notice the field coil speaker.
dr2v.jpg

And the one, and only, control: On/Off-Volume.
5vio.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
How does it sound?
Great!:encouragement:
Here's a quick clip I made. Not up to Pascal's performance standards, I admit, but you get a good idea of the sound.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's amazing that some players have these hi tech rigs with pedal upon pedal just to get this sound that is pre-WWII technology. It's such a kick to play through something this old.