1961 T100C Special order - Cherry Red

mbrindell

Reaction score
Hi Friends,
I know that many of you must have seen this guitar on ebay. It was posted several times for pretty high prices. But it seemed the seller was willing to negotiate and I got this guitar for a very reasonable price that made me, the buyer, and the seller happy. My wife's first question was, "why do you need another T100"? My answer was another question. "Why not"? Man I love living rent free! Anyway back to the guitar. Here is the first picture.

The C in the model number stands for cherry red. There's not too many cherry T100s around. That was a special order color. The other upgrade was the bridge. Normally the T100 would come with a rosewood compensated bridge. This one is outfitted with the bridge Guild was using on the Starfire II at the time. I wish he would have upgraded the tuners as well, but that's cool.

The guitar is all original and in overall very good condition. Unfortunately it does not come in it's original case, but does come in a nice hard case. All the bindings and the peghead laminate are in fine condition showing no shrinkage or separation. No damage to the guitar. It does however show some finish wear. Mainly checking on the top and back but there is finish wear on the back of the neck as well. That's fine with me as long as it is in good shape structurally, electronically, etc... The fretboard is in fine condition with only minor fret wear. I do not know if they are original frets or not.

Has all the features of a '61 with the chevron logo on the guard, amber knobs, etc...

The label shows the model # as a T100C- and "spe" for special order. Man if I ordered this I would have had them install the cool Kolb tuners Guild was using at the time as well. Anyway, another cool find from ebay. And it never hurts to try to negotiate. Seems a strategy many folks are using on ebay these days is to start high and hope for the best reasonable offer. So it never hurts to ask. This has satisfied my current case of G.A.S, but that won't last long. Anyway enjoy the scans of this rare color T100 with it's single Franz pickup. I am hoping for it to arrive by early next week since I am in Florida and it's coming from the west coast. Thanks for looking and we'll see ya all soon. MB

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Another beauty, Mike! Let us know how it plays!

walrus

mbrindell

Reaction score
Thanks guys, It's arriving today so I will get back soon with a review. I love that color.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You should be concerned that your wife knows what a T-100 is. LOL

mbrindell

Reaction score
Actually my wife is cool with the whole thing because she thinks they're "ours". I know better.

mbrindell

Reaction score
Hello again friends, Well the T100C arrived yesterday and I fell in love with it as soon as I opened the case. After a setup the thing nearly plays itself. No fret buzz or issues all the way up the neck. All the binding and headstock laminate are in perfect condition. What a great find this guitar was. It is in better shape than I had anticipated. Today I will be replacing strings and giving it my usual complete clean up. I have no doubt that the franz will sound exactly like what anyone would expect. But I want to replace the strings before I give it a good whirl. Here is a photo comparing the cherry finish to my cherry 1963 Starfire. The T100's finish is a brighter color than the Starfire. I am certain this is due to the two different woods used in the guitars. That being maple of the T100 and Mahogany of the Starfire. The finish is simply outstanding on the T100. Take a look and see what you think. MB

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just be sure to stay married to her so you never have to find out what's *really* yours!

walrus

jimmyl51

Reaction score
Mike, the finish on your new T-100 is basically identical to the light cherry finish that I had Gibson do for me when I had an ES-350t built in the custom shop with a single P-90 in the neck position............long before I moved to the east coast and when Gibson still did stuff like that which they do not do anymore IMHO.............jim in Maine

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Special

1_zps7077e37f.jpg

The label shows the model # as a T100C- and "spe" for special order. Man if I ordered this I would have had them install the cool Kolb tuners Guild was using at the time as well.

Hello Mike,

The 'Special' designation would not always indicate a 'Special Order'; it could also mean something that Guild was trying out, just to see if there would be a market for it. However this is a good example that demonstrates that the real early Starfires were really T-100s with different pickup(s) and upgraded hardware, but built on an identical 'superstructure'.

The guitar in the next photo is a guitar from the same batch with the same finish, just 1 serial number apart, but this one became a Starfire III. Could have been the other way around!

EarlySFIII.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

jimmyl51

Reaction score
Hans,

In your opinion overall do you see any 'weak' years for Guild from the time that Al Dronge introduced them till the time that he passed away as a result of the airplane crash? jim in Maine

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
In your opinion overall do you see any 'weak' years for Guild from the time that Al Dronge introduced them till the time that he passed away as a result of the airplane crash? jim in Maine

Hello Jim,

Personally I like certain features that you find on instruments from the late '50s to the mid-'60s, but I would definitely not refer to any of the earlier or later periods as 'weak' years. Being able to choose from all these different periods is a luxury that people at the time didn't have. You simply bought a guitar if you liked it and that's what you played. During the biggest part of his career, Jimi Hendrix played Stratocasters from what we now consider to be the beginning of the 'weak years' for Fender. It didn't keep him from becoming the icon that he is today; when I think about that 'giving my opinion' becomes somewhat meaningless. I love the history part though!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mbrindell

Reaction score
Thanks Hans, That is very interesting. Always appreciate the education and I see exactly what you mean. Thanks

jimmyl51

Reaction score
I am looking at the headstock of my George Barnes at the moment Hans and to be honest in comparison to a guitar made in today's CAD-CAM world the inlay definitely does not look like it was done by a computer aided device but to be honest at least to my eyes I thank God that it wasn't done by a computer aided device! Would you know who was the fellow that actually would have made the inlay for my 1963 17" Acousti-Lectric by chance Hans? Thanks for any info. that you can provide me! That guitar sings! AND I'm no George Barnes who I have always loved........... jim in Maine