LMG IV report for the M-75 lovers

Reaction score
I suspect Terada may have been involved in the previous hollowbodies. I'm fine with that. The work and the materials are excellent as far as I can see.

Reaction score
Yes, Terada...that had crossed my mind too. I have been told different stories from different people but never the same story. I still like my GSR Starfire, mysteries and all. It is still a fine guitar.
Thanks John

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guild GSR M-75 Aristocrat Cherry Sunburst, only 23 (?) made. Looks nice!

10711781625_6b9efc566d_c.jpg

10712598393_821bb4d596_c.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

griehund

Reaction score
Now ain't that a pretty little thing. To think I knew her when. :biggrin-new:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wait.....they told you guys at LMG that these were essentially Korean-made bodies and necks, assembled, painted, and set up in the US. And they're $4000? So there's platinum or diamond powder in that paint?

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow. Pretty happy with my 60's version (with minis), especially after seeing that price.

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
me too, pretty happy with my Bluesbird Deluxe. I wonder if all 23 are cherry sunburst? I would to see an antique burst or black finish.

guildman63

Reaction score
Wait.....they told you guys at LMG that these were essentially Korean-made bodies and necks, assembled, painted, and set up in the US. And they're $4000? So there's platinum or diamond powder in that paint?

But you are failing to consider the leather Guild strap, the microfiber cloth, and an Allen wrench for the truss Rod that are all included...for free!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But you are failing to consider the leather Guild strap, the microfiber cloth, and an Allen wrench for the truss Rod that are all included...for free!
Plus you get a guitar that doesn't say "Made in Korea"...unfortunately it also doesn't say "Made in USA", except that we all know that a N serial number is made in New Hartford. But seriously, the used parts are higher quality at least. I also would guess it is a nitro finish vs. the MIK polyester finish, that adds cost. All other is marketing to position the GSR model at the upper band of the pricing scheme. At the end it is pretty close to the American Patriarch models.

10712387826_a2a4857bef_z.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

griehund

Reaction score
The AP Aristocrat lists at $7500. So the GSR listing at $4000 hits a price point. At LMGIV they said the high end models were selling well. Seems reasonable.

Thunderface

Reaction score
In your previous photos, the GSR M-75 had the three-line Chesterfield (top), and the photo above from the L.A. Music site shows the GSR with a G-shield (bottom), much like the American Patriarch M-75. Is that a photo of an AP M-75 advertised as a GSR on the L.A. Music site, or does it really have a G shield. I'm hoping the GSR has the three-line Chesterfield because, for me, it's three stripes or you're out.

GSRs_zps0cd84884.jpg

Last edited:

guildman63

Reaction score
Streetprice for the AP M-75 is $4999, and for the GSR M-75 $3999.
Ralf

And if the final price for the AP Aristocrat is consistent with what I agreed to pay for my AP X-500, and what I wad quoted for the AP AA it should be very close to $4000. All things being equal this GSR should be had for the low to mid 2000's. In keeping with prior GSR sales low to mid $3000's would be the final price. I always found the GSR electrics to be strangely priced as they are all listed at $3999. The T-400 had less bling than the T-500, and the X-180, while very nice is not in the same league to me as the T-500 or Starfire VI. All that said, Gretsch is making some guitars in Korea that have a pretty high MSRP, so if the quality is there perhaps it is justified.

Harpymorgan

Reaction score
Also do we know what tops they are? The American Patriot says its solid, but the Newark St is laminated spruce. My 67 is a laminate top. This might also dictate a price differential with the AP

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also do we know what tops they are? The American Patriot says its solid, but the Newark St is laminated spruce. My 67 is a laminate top. This might also dictate a price differential with the AP
According the specsheet from L.A.Music the GSR has an arched laminated spruce top with parallel tone bar bracing. (Actually the original Aristocrats also always had laminated Spruce tops, never solid!)
Also the American Patriarch Aristocrat has a laminated Spruce top, not solid: http://www.guildguitars.com/instruments/details/?partno=3827100837#simpleContained4
Ralf

Last edited:

Harpymorgan

Reaction score
I thought that was the case. So the AP deviates from the original by having a solid spruce top. I suspect it is still pressed however rather than carved.