Fuzz: Crunch and Punch

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Looking for some heavy dirt for my p-board. Running a Li'i China and Ethos into a 15 Watt Bad Cat. Both of these are fairly low drive and the one I use live depends on the guitar I'm playing. The three most oft used guitars are a Starfire IV, 62 Strat with Fralin Blues Specials, and a DeArmond M77 with DeArmond 2k's. I like the sounds I hear on-line from the Wampler Velvet Fuzz quite a bit. I also have been intrigued by the Mastortion and some of the El Rey products. I've seen a couple of Nocturne pedals based on the old Mosrite Fuzzrite that are interesting, (I remember liking the pedal a lot in the 60's) but all I see is really awful psycobilly demos of those pedals. Any input from Guild people out there?

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Can't believe no one here has anything to add about fuzz boxes. Oh well too late now anyway. I decided on a Foxrox CC Hybrid. Fuzz Face circuit, more or less, designed to run with both germanium and silicon transistors. Should be here early next week.

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
I just play at home and usually just straight to amp. The only fuzz I'm familiar with is a BYOC kit I built. It sounds good, uses (supposedly) NOS germanium transistors. I briefly had an old Foxx fuzz/wah/volume - I fixed some minor issues and sold it but when it was on it sounded great. When it was off it sucked tone. But it was red and fuzzy (literally).

Does the Foxrox run either/or germanium or silicon, or both at the same time? Have fun with it!

I may have to get a fuzz pedal from TSVG called the Angry Jeff, but that's just for the name...

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The only OD I own is a Bluesdriver(shrug) and a Deathmetal pedal (it was a gift).

I'm not a fuzzbox connoisseur...:apologetic:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have Voodoo Lab's Proctovia fuzz/octave pedal for when I want that extra kick, but it's inability to handle chords (other than major triads) limits it.Tube breakup does it for me.

drc

Reaction score

guitarslinger

Reaction score
The hybrid runs both trannies together. The circuit, Im told, is different than the Fuzz Face but very closely approximates the sound. It supposedly ameliorates many of the "issues" of some fuzz boxes. Such as, placement on the board, don't have to run a carbon battery to get a decent sound and has a center negative jack (it is positive ground so it can't be daisy chained). For sure the samples I heard sounded good. Going for a bit of Gilmourish sound for lead. I recently purchased one of the new Newark Street Starfire IV's which sounds absolutely stunning through my current rig. Can't wait to try it with the new pedal. For now it's hurry up and wait.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just use the features that let me overdrive the preamp. Not a sound I am especially interested in adding to my arsenal. i suspect the reason the original posy was ignored was that folks just didn't see it. At LTG everyone has an opinion on something.

griehund

Reaction score
Right now I use two ODs. When I want just a touch of fuzz I use a Beringer blues OD. If I want more I use a Boss Super OD. If I want to get real nasty I stack them. I try to keep my amp as clean as possible cause that's why god invented pedals. yes/no?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Right now I use two ODs. When I want just a touch of fuzz I use a Beringer blues OD. If I want more I use a Boss Super OD. If I want to get real nasty I stack them. I try to keep my amp as clean as possible cause that's why god invented pedals. yes/no?

I thought God invented pedals so guitarists did not have to bend over and moon the audience when they adjusted things at the amp. That's why bassists put the head on top of a 2x15 cabinet with the speakers vertical - so they don't have to bend over.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
Thank the heavens. The mental visage of Leonard Sklar "bending over" could damage one's psyche.
Still waiting for the pedal.

griehund

Reaction score
I thought God invented pedals so guitarists did not have to bend over and moon the audience when they adjusted things at the amp. That's why bassists put the head on top of a 2x15 cabinet with the speakers vertical - so they don't have to bend over.

And my gratitude has expanded exponentially. :laughing:

Muovinen

Reaction score
I would be very interested to hear your thoughts about the CC Hybrid once you've tested it! I'm very close to pulling the trigger on that one. And the Crystal Dagger too ;)

I've been on the hunt for a good fuzz but no success yet. I'm more of an overdrive guy anyway because I take most of my gain from the amp and then just push it a bit with a TS-808, Klon or a Mad Professor sweet honey od (2 od's on and I get a nice chugga chugga). Would love to have a fuzz that could push the amp in the way a good OD does and not hijack my tone completely. Just to get that fuzzy thing going on, if you know what I mean :D It should also work with humbuckers and power chords.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
The unit is here and I'll post a review in a couple of days. My son is a Chef and I'm out of state attending a gourmet dinner sponsored by a German brewery in celebration of Octoberfest. I tipped one for all the Guild players, but, the other five were for me. I too am primarily a straight overdrive guy. My amp is set just at the edge of breakup and I use a Lil Cina and an Ethos to get that grind I so love. Think Robben Ford, John Schofield. Fuzz is a recent pursuit. More after I plug it in.

guitarslinger

Reaction score
First impression: this is going to be a great addition to my board and a pedal with which it's going to be easy to live. Three guitar tryout in order of great to very good sound; Dearmond with 2K's, Starfire IV, Strat. Easy to dial in very, very good sound with each guitar, but, I especially like the Dearmond. Powered it with a Voodoo Lab PP 2 plus on one of the outputs pon which one can adjust the "sag". More details later when I have more time.

magicpauley73

Reaction score
Have you tried a colorsound powerboost? Evil valve frying clean boost right up to.huge dirty fuzz! Not cheap but better than a Nocturne . I've use mine when I can' t get my amp mic'd up, I can set up with just a bit of natural drive then a snarling dogs bluedoo or vox valvetone, covers a lot of bases

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
The only fuzz that's ever worked for me is the Trombetta Bone Machine. Very cool pedal. All kinds of great sounds in here.
MD