Guild in New Hartford

Geotrio

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've spent a few weeks getting the lay of the land here and appreciate your well run and thoughtful forum for Guild guitars.

I've had a relationship with the New Hartford factory going back to 1966 when my Dad started making components and fixtures for Ovation instruments. A that time our shop was right next door to the brand new guitar company and it was an exciting period of growth. For 3 decades this relationship was strong but all good things come to an end. In the late 90's everything changed at Ovation and we moved on. Over the years my Dad and myself aquired about a dozen guitars ranging from a 67 Deluxe Balladeer to the last one, a Millenium Adamas. Dad passed on several years ago and he generously left to me his collection which is now combined with my own. They all have a story and will remain in the family. More than once I've handed one to a disbeliever/snob and chuckle at their surprised reaction 'Hey this things sounds great!' Others are close minded and not interested in something different.

I've come to enjoy dropping in at the old factory and dropping a guitar off for routine maintenance or the odd repair. It was kind of weird going back after 15 years or so had passed and seeing all the changes. Even so, many of the people I knew from back in the day, including numerous skilled craftsman, still have a job which is a great thing. It's disapointing to see my beloved Ovations sort of fade into the background but they still make a few US models and the service department is top notch.

Recently I was waiting to pick up one of my guitars from service and had the opportunity to play a D50 on display in the waiting area. I was very impressed with the tone and build quality. It's the first time I've ever considered buying anything but an Ovation. I've played plenty of Martin and Gibson acoustics but not Guilds; for whatever reason they weren't available to try.

At any rate I instantly bonded with the Guild; perhaps it was psychological, knowing it was produced in the old factory to which I feel such an attachment. Or maybe I prefer things a little off the beaten path. More likely it was that when I started to play it spoke to me with a rumble and depth I just fell in love with.

I am enjoying the LTG forum, reading up on break in periods, all the models available and different eras and location of manufacture. From Hoboken to Westerly, Corona, Tacoma....and now finally New Hartford Connecticut, my home town. I just wanted to put in my two cents and confirm to all Guild enthusiasts that you landed in a great spot. There are highly skilled people with a lifetime of guitar manufacturing experience on hand and from what I've seen they are making a wonderful product with exceptional skill and care. I hope they have the die hard's approval, although it's never easy comparing a brand new off the shelf acoustic with one that has had time to achieve its full sound potential. That said IMHO a good guitar sounds good from day one and can improve with proper use and care.

I'm not sure what will happen with the economy or whether this will all work out but at least Guild has a fighting chance to go on manufacturing great guitars. Now I need to decide which one is best for me. I play mostly acoustic but having the ability to plug in is important. It's gotta have plenty of resonance, volume and balance. Maybe a D50 with D-tar? They seem to be selling for around a $1K-$1.5K, not too bad. I also looked at a brand new antique sunburst D55 with D-tar at a guitar shop for $2500.00

Decisions, decisions......

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, geotrio!

Thank you for that post and sharing your history with the New Hartford facility.

Quite a few of us will be converging on your home next Friday for our annual event at the shop. You live in a very beautiful town and I have enjoyed all my visits there.

Best wishes.

gilded

Reaction score
Welcome! frono, chazmo, is it possible for someone with a 'splendid association' with the New Hartford Plant to make a 'cameo appearance' at LTG IV?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Registration is already shut down, gilded. Otherwise, I would've invited our new member.

Geotrio.... while you cannot join us at the shop without being registered, you can join us at Ski Sundown in the afternoon on Friday. If you can swing by, please find me and introduce yourself.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome Geotrio!! Thanks for a great post and a nice story with some history to it. Happy to see you here. Enjoy the hunt for your first Guild. It's an amazing factory, you'll get no argument from us!!

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Welcome. Can't really help you with model choice as the D50 and D55 are both nice, but different. It really depends on you.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Registration is already shut down, gilded. Otherwise, I would've invited our new member.

Geotrio.... while you cannot join us at the shop without being registered, you can join us at Ski Sundown in the afternoon on Friday. If you can swing by, please find me and introduce yourself.

And another welcome Geotrio!

Thanks for your history lesson in New Hartford. While I don't presently own any Ovations, I owned a '78 Custom Legend that I bought new and loved, but it wasn't really suitable for the standards I was playing with my band at the time. I sold it to a good friend who still owns it, so I get visitation rights.

in addition to what Chazmo said, you can also join us for the impromptu jam sessions that happen Thursday, Friday and Saturday night over at the Homewood Suites, if you can make your way over to Windsor Locks. Be great to meet you.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome Geotrio.
Great intro and personal story.
With this kind of connection with the brand, it's only logical that you end up here.
Hope we can meet in a week or so...

Geotrio

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Thank you for a warm welcome. Very sorry to have missed the chance to register. Maybe I can sneak in via the secret entrance and blend in unassumingly.

Hope to make it to Ski Sundown. Please let me know the approximate time the gathering there begins.

merlin6666

Reaction score
It was announced on the Ovation Forum that member George Frey has passed a way at the age of 55. I think this was Geotrio on LTG. Very sad.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It was announced on the Ovation Forum that member George Frey has passed a way at the age of 55. I think this was Geotrio on LTG. Very sad.

Very sad indeed. That was Geotrio as I purchased one of his Guilds earlier this year. From my conversations with him he was a great guy and also stood behind his word. Thoughts go out to his family and friends and may he RIP.

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe we can get one of our Super Moderators to change Geotrio's status to "Gone but not Forgotten".

TX