Thunderbird Bafflement

Reaction score
Under the bed attempting to freebase Joe Strummer'
Guildsters-
The guitar in my profile pic is a 196? that I have had for about eighteen years, and I have no shortage of questions about it - right now I'll settle for addressing these three;
1- Is there an archive somewhere that lists the Thunderbird's switch assignment? I have tried every possible combination of the four given switches but have been unable to find a combination that gives me both pickups simultaniously, just numerable either/or arrangements.
2- What year could it be? Guild's website lists 38636 as the last with a five number serial, but my serial exceeds that by 202.
3- Far less importantly, what color was it? There is evidence of three previous paint jobs - one white, one black and one botched Van Halen style tape job. The least amount of evident paint is the black(just a little on the horn), and being that Hans Moust's site dosen't list white as an option that seems the best bet, but what little white paint is left (near the base of the neck)suggests a high quality job.

Beyond a new nut and fret job (both badly needed) it is in exactly the same condition as it was when my older brother yanked it out of the Town of Woodstock landfill eighteen years back. (And just so nobody freaks out, the Roland GK-3 is braced under the bridge, not screwed or bolted.)
So, any ideas?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Guild went through several serial number schemes and they did not just magically change on January 1. It is not unusual for a serial number to exceed the published dates. In this case I would be quite comfortable with the idea that your guitar's serial number dates it to 1965. Can't help with the rest but someone else should be along soon.