Road Trip!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, check your lighting. At home, with compact fluorescents I got a major hum, on stage, none at all, also no fluorescents.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Buuespickey, I got the amp in poor condition, it had problems, so I don't really have a baseline to compare it to. As it was one of the less desirable SF amps, I didn't have any qualms about modding it. The tech made one of the channels more of a 'lead voice; very punchy.
I have not A/B'd it with a BF ProRev, but I can compare it with my BF DR. It definitely has that BF sound. I would like to do a side by side with a BF PR, just for kicks.

griehund

Reaction score
Would this have any effect on the sound?

If you replace the death cap is it still "original"? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. What is original? I can see why this stuff is so hard to decide. My head is spinning.:unsure:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you replace the death cap is it still "original"? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. What is original? I can see why this stuff is so hard to decide. My head is spinning.:unsure:
Replacing dead or leaky caps is considered maintenance, like tubes. Otherwise you would end up with an all original amp that doesn't work. Would you want a car with "original" oil?

griehund

Reaction score
Replacing dead or leaky caps is considered maintenance, like tubes. Otherwise you would end up with an all original amp that doesn't work. Would you want a car with "original" oil?

Good point. I guess you talked me off the bridge.:blushed: Although, I did have a 1935 Chevy coupe with mechanical brakes and it was not fun to drive. Well driving was OK, stopping was interesting.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you have an amp for collecting only and never intend to play it, then sure, keep it as is. But a working amp need to work. Unfortunately some necessary fixes do decrease the collector's value, which is a shame. What's the point of having something sit on the shelf, unuseable other than to say it's all original.
Even Stradivarius violins have had work on them and are loaned out, just so that they can be played.

griehund

Reaction score
If you have an amp for collecting only and never intend to play it, then sure, keep it as is. But a working amp need to work. Unfortunately some necessary fixes do decrease the collector's value, which is a shame. What's the point of having something sit on the shelf, unuseable other than to say it's all original.
Even Stradivarius violins have had work on them and are loaned out, just so that they can be played.

That's why I thought the 3 prong thing was a no brainer. If the drilling is done carefully, the receptacle covers the hole. Still looks original. But different strokes and all.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

That's why I thought the 3 prong thing was a no brainer. If the drilling is done carefully, the receptacle covers the hole. Still looks original. But different strokes and all.

Guys, you're preaching the choir.... I'm definitely not a collector, be it of amps or guitars. My only reason for hesitating here was not knowing whether I would keep it or not, but if I do, three prongs it will be..... Thanks for the input y'all!