Thinking of selling off some of my Guilds.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
67896_10151237805446586_615896378_n.jpg

To put words in mgod's mouth the black '70 Starfire II (back, third from the right) is likely for sale. I would muddy the waters by trying to confirm which black M-85 is less loved :)

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
To put words in mgod's mouth the black '70 Starfire II (back, third from the right) is likely for sale. I would muddy the waters by trying to confirm which black M-85 is less loved :)
Well not less loved, but less useful. Its the Bluesbird that is 2 to the right of that Starfire, the old one.

gilded

Reaction score
Dan,

I have read that you consider your '73 M85 II with DarkStar pickups a very versatile bass. Since you appear to be saying that the solid-body is more useful than the hollowbody M85, do you find that DarkStars can be more versatile than Bisonics (and hence more useful) or do you find that the solid body M85s are more useful than the hollow body ones?

I have a selfish reason for asking, since I have a '73 M85 II solid body. I like it, but it's pretty heavy at 9.5 lbs. Accordingly, I keep on wondering if I would like one of the earlier hollow body M85s better. Perhaps your point of view could help me sort all this out!

Thanks, Harry

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Well, in my view the semi-hollow M85s are not more useful than the solid ones, assuming a very good solid one equipped with Dark Stars. But that assumes a good solid one, and it assumes Dark Stars, not as they come. (But as I wrote before, I have 2 of the semi-hollow ones).

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Simian One, are we speaking of Sonics or playing comfort or both?

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Sonics primarily. I mean, I like Dark Stars better than Bisonics because Bisoncs all degrade differently. But its a tiny difference and my hand adapts immediately. If I were to look at the two bodies, I'd assume that the slim solid ones are more comfortable, but in reality they aren't. But again, even though I've off-loaded a few, I've still got something like 30 basses and i switch between them pretty seamlessly. And remember, the only solid one I've really spent a lot of time with is the one I have, which was exceptional, and it got the first pair of Dark Stars when Fred made them.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Thanks.

IMMHO (in my most humble opinion) the depth of the hollow M-85 takes a little getting used to. But for me 90% of it is because I have horrible technique and often find I'm hanging my right forearm on the edge of a bass. No can do on the M-85. That said, for me that's been a good thing. It had gotten me out of that bad habit, to some extent anyway.

I'll be curious to see what you get for that beauty. Hope it's a lot!

bklynbass

Reaction score
realistically prices will be high at first, like that "Sheryl Crow" bass. I've got a guy who will give me $5k for it, though at first I'll ask even more.

mgod, just curious, are you saying that bass was one actually played on the Sheryl Crow record? And the guy is willing to give you $5K for it partly because it's that particular bass?

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
mgod, just curious, are you saying that bass was one actually played on the Sheryl Crow record? And the guy is willing to give you $5K for it partly because it's that particular bass?

I love putting words in mgod's mouth but sometimes I actually get the right ones. Maybe this will be one of those? The allusion is to a story that Crow heard mgod's M-85, liked the sound, went out and found one but was insensitive to the nuances of Guilds and ended up with a solid with humbuckers whereas what she heard was a hollow with Bisonics. I believe the bass under discussion is the one that she heard but whether she heard it in recording sessions or elsewhere is unknown to me.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Yes, it was played on the record. But he's willing to give me that because I play it on Kevin Gilbert''s record.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Forgive me for veering back to some of the instruments that are not for sale, but how does the solid M-85 w/Darkstars compare sonically to the mgod pictured and/or Happy Face JS 2 w/dark stars? And How does the 66 Bisonic jet star compare? Is an M-85 "shorter scale" than a JS or Starfire bass?

I would imagine the semi hollow M-85 has an acoustic resonance to it. It must sound a little different from the solid. Would love to hear more of that. Which Sheryl Crow album are we talking about? I've always been a fan of her songs, to be honest.

also not familiar with Kevin Gilbert but always up for something new. Which record do u play on?

Last edited:

bklynbass

Reaction score
I love putting words in mgod's mouth but sometimes I actually get the right ones. Maybe this will be one of those? The allusion is to a story that Crow heard mgod's M-85, liked the sound, went out and found one but was insensitive to the nuances of Guilds and ended up with a solid with humbuckers whereas what she heard was a hollow with Bisonics.

...and then proceeded to buy every m-85 she could find, right? I'd be curious to know how many she has. Also how many of those single cut Kays.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
...and then proceeded to buy every m-85 she could find, right? I'd be curious to know how many she has. Also how many of those single cut Kays.
Also not a good story.

I remembered an Alembic guitar that's up at RT's too.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Forgive me for veering back to some of the instruments that are not for sale, but how does the solid M-85 w/Darkstars compare sonically to the mgod pictured and/or Happy Face JS 2 w/dark stars? And How does the 66 Bisonic jet star compare? Is an M-85 "shorter scale" than a JS or Starfire bass?

I would imagine the semi hollow M-85 has an acoustic resonance to it. It must sound a little different from the solid. Would love to hear more of that. Which Sheryl Crow album are we talking about? I've always been a fan of her songs, to be honest.

also not familiar with Kevin Gilbert but always up for something new. Which record do u play on?

M85 and Starfire and JS are all the same scale length.

Tuesday Night Music Club.

Kevin Gilbert's Thud, I believe.

idealassets

Reaction score
Well gents,
After all the comments, who's ready to step up and make an offer on a bass? Guild electric basses selling lately often have some issues involved. But a potential buyer here has a chance to get at least one cool bass that will be a top grade vintage example, and also that will be in good playing condition.

I'm better off on the 12 string, so no can do. Don't you just love these babies though?

CG

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
And How does the 66 Bisonic jet star compare?
Sorry, I missed this: the JetStar is very Guild-ish, but more mid-rangey. With the right person it can be exactly right, but with the wrong person it can be all wrong.