Nld!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ok, I'm going to keep you in suspense for a bit, just to see if anyone can figure out what NLD is.:biggrin-new:

I'll post story and pics tomorrow morning. :victorious:

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
A New Lute Day? Because we're still talking about musical instruments, right? If not, the possibilities are enormous...

All the best,
B.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Southern (and Frono, who sneaked in while I was typing) got it right! NLD is a New Lute Day!

I was browsing the Gruhn sale/as is page, and after drooling over the Hermann Hauser lute, I scrolled down to find two new lute listings that hadn't been there before (and were much cheaper than the $3200 for the Hauser!) One was a 10 course (19 strings) German model from the 50's, and the other, which suited my Renaissance leanings more) was a 7 course (13 strings), also German from the 50's. both had a top crack and needed setup, but for $350, I had to go for the 7 course model.
It arrived safe and sound (great packing by the Gruhn people) and the crack was closed, so I was able to seal it up nicely with a little CA glue. What I couldn't do was tune it up to pitch, the pegs slipped or didn't want to turn at all. As I discovered after I got a new set of strings in, the strings that were on it were WAY too big, and if I continued to try to bring them up to pitch, it probably would have done some damage. The new strings made tuning much easier, the pegs gave me no problem at all. (If you ever want to lose an evening, try stringing up a lute! 13 strings that have to be tied on, and no mechanical tuners!)
Its got some minor non-historically authentic features like a saddle on the bridge, wire frets, fret markers, and the rosette should be lower, but that's pretty much the norm for mid-century. In fact, its very similar to the Hauser. It'll be a good starter lute until I can build one myself.
muj8.jpg

59jd.jpg

9ub7.jpg

907j.jpg

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And here's a comparison between the old strings (including a couple of steel string strings:
rxeo.jpg

And the new La Bella strings:
28y0.jpg

Notice that the new set has octaves on the lower courses. That was common in the early Renaissance, but they would be unison by the late Renaissance. I may switch at some point, but its a start.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very nice! Nice enough in fact to start a new forum....LTL. :anonymous:
But seriously, congrats on this lovely acquisition.

Joe
Thanks. It would be nice to have a lute forum. Except for the Lute Society (which is a membership fee based org.) there really isn't any forum that I could find. Most are dead links.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice. I guess I should check Gruhn's site more often, I'm always hoping for an affordable Vihuela, although I might spring for a lute like yours.
Brad

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's a very cool looking instrument! Although I would not know how to begin to play it without a lot of research, it looks like fun!

walrus

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here's a pic of the 10-course one they have for $300. The pegs and nut (and a bag) are included, but not installed.
MC0106.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Saw that, but I'm not anxious to tackle a 10 course instrument, mostly interested in playing Dowland and the Spanish Vihuelistas music on one.
Brad
Saw a number clips of Bream playing Dowland on a 10 course. Apparently the bottom courses are tuned in steps and are generally not fretted.