Me and Guild not off to a good start!!

kbob2

Reaction score
revisit my D-55 expierience(disregard the title"me and guild off to a bad start".

Ok thankfully I was able to go through and delete all of my post and I am glad this is possible on this forum. My original post without intent was provoking but not intended to provoke negativity however after I read my post I displayed what appeared anger and frustration also it appears I wanted a bunch of guys to jump on the wagon and chastise Guild and or my dealer. However it was/is a disappointment and very circumstantial and things do happen not to receive my guitar when stated and yet to find it pushed further down the road. . I guess I could have ask guys on here first about guild experiences and it might have been proper and possibly could still have opened a can of worms and maybe not. None the less I retracted my post and re posted with these comments and say I am sorry and yes my post was provoking and negative. I could have simply posted my experience with the promises and let down as a experience and left it with some hope there would be another opportunity. None the less If I choose to revisit the Guild D-55 I just may when the dealer places one in stock and He is 200 miles away from me and the only dealer that close but yet go play the guitar first.. . Also he offers 0% interest for 24 mos. That was key. Considering all the things I mentioned from availability to playability with the AAA spruce top it might be better to head up and play the guitar before I buy it. This opening new experience for me and Guild guitar has not been a bad one but a simply let down on the delivery miss Que!
I apologize for my comments that didn't mean to rile and get negative come backs. I enjoy this group and also will continue to research Guild models and features before I commit and this way avoid top or composite confusion. So I am sorry and the door has been opened for a new day and learning opportunity without penalty or a financial disaster. So accept my apology! Thanks guys !

Last edited:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Sounds frustrating kbob, but we need the facts to fully understand where you are coming from. What retailer did you purchase the guitar from? Did they say in person or on their website that they had them in stock? Did you get pictures of the actual guitar before you bought it like MFG regularly does with Martin sales? I second Charlie's question about who "Guild in Phoenix" is. Is it the Fender headquarters?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have purchased three Guilds from an authorized dealer. One item was current production and in stock and the dealer was able to provide me an estimated delivery date, which turned out to be accurate. In the other cases my orders were effectively pre-orders and the delivery dates were expected to be uncertain at the time of order.

Since Guild is capable of accurately counting stock and projecting delivery in at least one instance, I suspect your experience is not the result of widespread incompetence but of someone talking to the wrong person. For starters FMIC is in Scottsdale and some Hew hartford guitars are stocked in New Hartford. So talking to "Guild in Phoenix" is either a previously unknown to us facility or not part of any known distribution chain. I apologize in advance if Phoenix is just a "typo" on your part and your really knew it was Scottsdale.

guildman63

Reaction score
First of all, Guild in Phoenix is not a dealer, so tell us which authorized Guild dealer has 30 in stock and we can go from there. Second, you just recently posted a rant about ordering a D-55 that has a AAA Sitka Spruce top, and your panties were in a bunch because the lower priced D-50 has an Adi top that you in your expert opinion feel is superior. You were then called out on that and we all now know that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Honest criticisms are not only welcome, but they are encouraged. However, it appears to me that you are simply out here to complain and put Guild in a bad light, and you have no desire to contribute in a positive way to this forum. If you have something positive to add I, for one, welcome you here. If not, you can take your Guild-bashing back to any other forum you choose, just don't do it here.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Good case of buyers remorse.
I hope things work out for you but I'm thinking that you will probably never own a Guild.
If you are not sure about what you want, spend more time deciding and then get the right guitar for you.

PS, a Guild D-55 is about as good as it gets.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
First of all, Guild in Phoenix is not a dealer, so tell us which authorized Guild dealer has 30 in stock and we can go from there. Second, you just recently posted a rant about ordering a D-55 that has a AAA Sitka Spruce top, and your panties were in a bunch because the lower priced D-50 has an Adi top that you in your expert opinion feel is superior. You were then called out on that and we all now know that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Honest criticisms are not only welcome, but they are encouraged. However, it appears to me that you are simply out here to complain and put Guild in a bad light, and you have no desire to contribute in a positive way to this forum. If you have something positive to add I, for one, welcome you here. If not, you can take your Guild-bashing back to any other forum you choose, just don't do it here.
OKAY!! +1, +2 and +3..... all in one.

It sounds like you have plenty of guitars to choose from and are not "guitar-less" at this point. Go play one of your Martins and chill out, dude! Maybe they're having a delay in filling orders because too many fidgety and panicky people are ordering them, and then cancelling when the guitar doesn't show up the next day.

Take a pill, dude. :pig:

dklsplace

Reaction score
I worked for a dealer whose default response was "we can get that for you in 7-10 days" regardless of their knowledge of actual product availability. Unfortunately, there are many more dealers out there with less scruples than there used to be.

idealassets

Reaction score
kbob,
I'm on your side and predominantly hoping that you score a nice Guild D55. So don't forget that much. But aren't you a little harsh in stating "You and Guild not off to a good start".

The possible reason for your dismay is that the D55 is more popular now than ever. A few weeks ago I was at Elderly Instruments in East Lansing, MI; and in stock was a new D50 & D55, and a used D55. In checking today, all 3 guitars are gone!

I believe that your dismay is in the fact that these models of Guild guitars are being eagerly scooped up by dealers needing the store stock. I have noticed some major bands such as The Head & The Heart, and Alice In Chains playing the Guild D55 in public, and as a result you can expect these guitars to jump right out of the store display racks.

Also it doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice that every popular guitar has become scarce and more costly on ebay as of late.

My advice is that you should not buck the prevailing trend, but hope that you get your guitar. I was going to offer you some help and direct you to Elderly to find a D55 "in the bag", but as I say- I am astonished that these 3 guitars have suddenly evaporated from their website. That is definitely a wake up call, and should alert everyone to the fact that the next step might possibly be a 60 to 90 day wait, for those placing a new order.

But don't buck the popularity trend and get frustrated with Guild. If you do get that D55, I would hope that you are not quick to return it. To be exact the fretboard and fret radius will allow for a more even tone from each string. My Martin HD28 actually has a flat, "dead" spot in certain places on the fret board. You just have to adjust to playing each one differently. But my Guild is more enjoyable to play, in the long run.

Craig

Last edited:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Anybody else's feckin' troll detector going off when reading kbob2's posts?

In reading his Guild interest posts over on UMGF where it all started, I do believe he is sincere and legitimate in his interest for Guild. Over on UMGF it is engrained that adirondack is a far superior tonewood to sitka and I think kbob thought that Guild's flagship would have it as such. Even though he didn't do his homework, he felt deceived. That, in combination, with not getting all the facts during purchase, makes for a very grumpy dude.

I get it. I get upset when I do not get what I feel I should have gotten. Could this have all been avoided by learning about the guitar before pulling out the Diners Club International? Absolutely.

guildman63

Reaction score
Funny, but there is only one guitar in my stable that I played before obtaining it, and that is the 1956 CE-100 I am selling. It is easily as good as my '93 X-500, but as my focus has turned to collecting the 500 series guitars the CE is somewhat redundant as jazz boxes go. My point is that I am a mediocre player that owns several guitars that are all well above my skill level, so buying these without first trying them is not a big deal. Others would never think of doing that as they are extremely particular about even the smallest details (like the shape of the GSR Starfire :smiley_simmons:). Perhaps kbob is just one of those people that should never buy a guitar online, but rather should buy only what he has personally played.

dklsplace

Reaction score
...just one of those people that should never buy a guitar online, but rather should buy only what he has personally played.

Over the years, I've had to tell more than one customer that they just shouldn't try to buy anything they haven't played first....and that we wouldn't ship them anything else.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
In reading his Guild interest posts over on UMGF where it all started, I do believe he is sincere and legitimate in his interest for Guild. Over on UMGF it is engrained that adirondack is a far superior tonewood to sitka and I think kbob thought that Guild's flagship would have it as such. Even though he didn't do his homework, he felt deceived. That, in combination, with not getting all the facts during purchase, makes for a very grumpy dude.

I get it. I get upset when I do not get what I feel I should have gotten. Could this have all been avoided by learning about the guitar before pulling out the Diners Club International? Absolutely.

OK - I may have been a little hasty with the snarky troll comment.

Withdrawn.

Agree that he should have done more homework - Guild certainly doesn't obfuscate their specs.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Craig, thank you for your thoughtful and measured response to the OP. I was lucky, the guitar I ordered from Guild, through an authorized dealer, was said to be in process but many weeks away...yet showed up in two. As mentioned above, nice to see that Guild is selling through these pieces!

rachelsdad

Reaction score
Also it doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice that every popular guitar has become scarce and more costly on ebay as of late.

ok, I'm in commercial real estate, not rocket science.

Why do you think this is happening?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, here it is directly from the Guild sales website: http://guildguitars.com/instruments/details/?partno=3850500821#simpleContained4 It states "AAA spruce top". Just for clarity what type of spruce is on the D55 guitar top, and how can we prove that for certain?
Hi Craig, the 2013 Guild pricelist shows the D-55 with "Sitka Spruce", so that should be the answer. But anyway, at least I always thought that if somebody talks about a "solid spruce top" it is always "solid Sitka Spruce". Otherwise it is usually clearly specificed differently, like Western Red Spruce, Adirondack spruce, Engelmann spruce, Alpine Italian spruce,...
But I agree that Guild should better define it on all their media to avoid questions!

By the way, I assume kbob2 means "Scottsdale" when he said "Phoenix", after all they are very close cities next to each other. (Just trying to keep peace here...)
But I am not sure how anybody in customer service can promise an endcustomer something, because all Guild guitars need to be purchased via authorized Guild dealers only! So kbob2 should not be angry about Guild but about whatever dealer he used! Because it is the dealers fault in that case...So kbob2, don't be angry about Guild here, complain at your dealer please...

Ralf

Last edited: