F50R vs D55

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The loudest acoustic I've ever owned/played is this '76 Guild F-50 I used to own. The maple sides/back made for an outstanding instrument in every way.
Question 1: Looks like an arched back?
Q2: Do you think that contributed to the volume?

jcwu

Reaction score
I have two Guild acoustics, a DV52 and a JV52. Both vintage-voiced, made within a year of each other, same depth, one's a dread and one's a jumbo. The dread is louder, the jumbo is more shimmery. That was my first observation upon getting the jumbo, and it's an observation that holds true to this day.

Reaction score
I have a 1978 F50r. When I played it at the local Bluegrass Pickin Parlor I had to switch from medium gauge strings to light gauge strings because I was drowning out the other guitars. Yes I'm talking Martin d45 D28 Gibson J 45 and even the Gibson SJ 200 maple. I have owned a lot of guitars played a lot of other people's guitars and have dabbled frequently and buying fixing up and reselling guitars . Here's some things I've learned about volume over the years the way you play makes a big difference. I have large heavy hands. where are you play on the strings makes a big difference. Also making sure you have a bone nut. saddle and Bridge pins makes a difference both in volume and sustain. It is the first thing I change when fixing a guitar for resale or to keep. A brass saddle or end pins adds volume and brightness but I don't really like the sound on most guitars although there was one hd28 at the parlor that when he switch to Brass had a drastic improvement because it it always seemed muddy weird for a Martin hd28 for some reason. You can also make a big difference in volume by which pick you use and that's by far the cheapest and easiest thing to experiment with. I personally use a Dunlop 208 which is a large very stiff pick I have a friend that uses real tortoise shell that are very heavy pics but without getting in a discussion about whether that is ethical or not I'd just like to say that's a very expensive way to go. Also I'd like to say that when he tried one of my Dunlop's he said I loved it and I gave him one last time I saw him he was still playing with it. So like save the turtles use a Dunlop. LOL having said all that the absolute most beautiful tone I ever heard in a guitar was a Guild d-55 I don't remember the exact year but I remember it was a very early one. He wants a lot for it but if I ever get up the money I'm buying it. And yes I'd still like to have a Martin d45 but mostly just because Crosby Stills Nash and Young had them.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I can't add any thing here that doesn't come down to build which if you add all the responses up its what you get in my opinion .
My custom builder Ben Wilborn makes orchestra type model called the Elli belle it's volume is ear plug worthy .
My Blueridge is loud my epi masterbilt needed a volume knob lol
Old Sitka will rock As well as Adirondack , build quality and or non performing wood combined will make a dud .
Some guitars past and present can and have been over built they might carry AAAA grade woods but it's so thick or over braced its like strumming a tank ! A darn good looking tank at that ! Haha
Also little things like action hieght will effect volume output.
Just gotta find the one that does the job.
My Cv-1 is loud .
Lastly one thing to keep in mind is and maybe many not agree but a guitar with great tone and balance might not sound loud but will cut through other louder "sounding " guitars that are not great tone and balance wise.