Guild M-20 Case & Travel

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have what may seem to be a painfully obvious question, but I have done as of extensive research as I am able to only to come up short.

I have a very sweet, very fragile 1960-something Guild M20 that is in wonderful condition. It sounds like heaven and feels like playing a stick of butter. The highs chime and the lows bow and the soundboard is so thin that even putting your fingers on the strings is rhythmic. I love it so much and it was a dream guitar of mine. Upon my first strum, without even a chord shape, I said to my girlfriend, "I am buying this guitar today."

So, as you can understand, it is very important to me that it stays around for a long time.

I am soon to go to Japan for a writing trip, with the intention to only bring this guitar. The problem I am facing is that even though I have (what I think) is the original alligator skin case, that isn't going to do it for travel. I need to get something that will both be protective and can survive being checked into the freezing cold belly of an airplane. I have looked around and seen that SKB makes a TSA approved case for 000 guitars, but looking at the measurements, I am afraid that this won't be snug enough to the body. Here's a link to SKB's website, with the aforementioned case.

Now my question for you guys is two-fold: Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations of a case that would be suitable for checking this guitar? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for traveling with an acoustic guitar of this level of fragility? Perhaps I should get a humidifier to put in the case so that the cold environment of the baggage compartment doesn't do any irreversible damage? Japan itself is going to be as humid as you could possibly imagine, so climate will be A-OK for the wood, but I am concerned about the flight.

I am leaving for Japan on August 9th, so this is something I'll need to order ASAP. Price is not an issue, either.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate any information you all can pass along.

Skye

PS. Double points if anyone can help me out with the date of this guitar... The serial number is AH-802.

bobdcat

Reaction score
The M20 serial numbers are a bit hard to pin down in the mid-60s. The Guild website says M20s with AH-xxx are all 1965, but who knows? My Mark I has a serial number that is higher than the last "official" number in the series.

As to a sturdy case, one built for a Martin 0 size will probably do. Give Elderly Instruments a call. They carry the TKL/Canadian case line and will be able to select one for you based on your measurements. Their shipping is fast, too. I have a late 19th century Martin size 1 that they selected a case for that fits it perfectly.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know if it's TSA approved, but the case that I recommended for an F-20 in this thread is a nice sturdy case, and will fit the M-20 to a tee.

mr.d.bluster

Reaction score
I don't know if it's TSA approved, but the case that I recommended for an F-20 in this thread is a nice sturdy case, and will fit the M-20 to a tee.

First of all, welcome to LTG!

I have the case above (click through to the next referenced thread) and can confirm that it will fit a '60s F-20, which is the same size as a 60's M-20. I'm guessing yours is from 1965.

Regarding carrying it on a flight, I recommend talking up the flight attendants in the waiting area, and asking them if it can go in the overhead bin. It might fit OK, but they might not allow that. In that case, ask if there is some other space somewhere in the cabin where they can stash it. They can sometimes be very helpful, if they want to be, especially if you come across as very concerned about the safety of your instrument. If that still doesn't work, don't put it in checked baggage, but check it at the gate. That way it will go in last, and come out first, and will be hand placed on the ramp when you debark. Get some large "Fragile" signs and tape them to the case. Partially detune the strings to protect the headstock from jolts.

I wouldn't worry too much about temperature and humidity. As far as I know, the baggage compartment is at the same pressure and temperature as the passenger cabin. (Maybe someone else here can confirm that?) People pack all kinds of liquids in their checked luggage, and I've never heard of any freezing problems.

I suppose there's more, but that's all I've got right now.

mr.d.bluster

Reaction score
One more thing..you're right, a 000 case is too large. The M-20 is closer to a 00 size. Not sure how close, though.

AZLiberty

Reaction score
For Martins:
0 is nominally 13 1/2 across the lower bout
00 is 14 5/16"
000/OM is 15"
0000/M/J is 16"

I normally think of an F-20 as a 00 size, but it looks like it is probably a lot closer to an 0.

ratcab

Reaction score
I have the case recommended by Acornhouse for my 1965 M-20. It fits the guitar perfectly. It also fits nicely in the overhead of a B757 which is what I did when I took the guitar to Europe recently. No problems with either the TSA or the flight crew. That would be my recommendation.

Dan

Reaction score
Two points: First, I strongly second Mr. Bluster's suggestion to avoid the standard checked-baggage system and try to carry the guitar on board. It might mean sweet-talking the gate personnel (you know the drill--be really really polite and smile), but my experience with Northwest and now Delta has been pretty good--and every year I travel at least once with a truly huge-looking flight case that I know fits in the overhead of almost any modern full-size jet. (Came home on an A320 last week, and I could have fit myself in the overhead.) So a case for an M-20 should be no problem, whether the airline people realize it or not.

So go online, see what aircraft your flight is scheduled to use, research that model's storage capacity (note that not every airline configures a given aircraft the same way), and go to some travelers' sites to see what other fliers have experienced on those planes and/or from your airline. The worst that happens to me is that the plane is full or there's been an equipment change and the case just won't fit anywhere, so it gets gate-checked, which (depending on the airline's protocols) can mean hand-loading and -unloading and pickup in the jetway at the destination. But this is very airline-dependent.

Second, cases: As nice and sturdy and crush-resistant as five-ply wood cases are, they are not necessarily as shock resistant as a foam case, and dropping is probably the biggest hazard a baggage system offers. My big flight case is 3 inches of expanded foam with plywood or Masonite stiffening on top and bottom, and I trust my hand-built swing guitar to it. When I don't need a full-size guitar, I fly with a Taylor GS-Mini in a Saga Travelite TL-60 case--

http://www.amazon.com/Travelite-Case-Classical-Dobro-TL-60/dp/B000UGD1VY/ref=pd_sbs_MI_1

I haven't thrown either case down the stairs to test their shock-resistance, but I have seen it done--in person--with the much less fancy Tric foam cases that Seagull sells. Short of a Hoffee or Calton, the foam-and-wood formula seems optimal to me.

Reaction score
Wow, guys!

Thanks so much for all of the helpful information. I have opted to buy the Saga Golden Gate case. Glad to know that you guys have had first hand experience with it and that it's worked out well for you all.

I am going to try my hardest to carry it on, but I had a very unfortunate situation with that last time I tried. I had a double guitar gig bag for my '64 Jaguar and my '58 Jazzmaster, that I bought specifically because it takes up the least amount of room possible. I had flown countless times beforehand with it with no issues, but the last time was horrible and Delta's gate staff were just awful. I even emailed the head of the company because of the poor treatment! Oh, well...

Again, thanks everyone for the information. I'm really excited to be a part of this forum now and you all seem so knowledgable!

Skye