DV 73 nt hg?

Reaction score
In exchange for recording, a friend recently gave me a DV 73 nt hg. This has red and turquoise and black inlays. It's a bit gaudy but also pretty cool-looking. Definitely unique. The only one I could find online was at http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/dv73.html and there wasn't much info.

I've played a D-50 for 30 years and this is a few steps up. Sounds a lot like the 50.

I'm just curious as to its worth. According to that site, only 50 were made.

Anyway, any info would be useful.

Thanks

THis is my first post. Just joined today - 22, July, 2013.

Mike Schmidt

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG Mike, and that's a hell of a way to make an entrance! Pictures please...

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome aboard!!

Umm, you DO know that West R Lee is one of the most prominent members on this board, don't you?

Anyway, you will find a lot of love for those fine beauties here.

' Strang

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Melvoid, what would you like to know? You obviously know that there were 50 built. The design is that of the famed DV52, with some superficial inlay added, but I think better woods were also added to the high end DV series. The DV62, DV72,DV73 and DV74 were essentially the same guitar with different stone inlay.

West

Last edited:

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In exchange for recording, a friend recently gave me a DV 73 nt hg. This has red and turquoise and black inlays. It's a bit gaudy but also pretty cool-looking. Definitely unique. The only one I could find online was at http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/dv73.html and there wasn't much info.

I've played a D-50 for 30 years and this is a few steps up. Sounds a lot like the 50.

I'm just curious as to its worth. According to that site, only 50 were made.

Anyway, any info would be useful.

Thanks

THis is my first post. Just joined today - 22, July, 2013.

Mike Schmidt

A bit gaudy...that's funny! Kind of an inside joke, Mike. I think that is how Hans Moust, our resident Guild expert has described the DV-73, to the good natured chagrin of many. I've got a DV-73, I always describe the inlays as looking very similar to the YMCA logo. I bought mine needing some repairs, but after a bone nut and saddle, it is really one of the better sounding Guilds I own. Depending on conditon, and who is in the market, I'd say 1800-2300 bucks, give or take, YMMV.

My DV-73 is in the playing rotation lately, sounds very nice to my calloused ears!!

70man

Reaction score
There was a Dv74 on craiglist for a while,he wanted $3850.00 for a long time ,then dropped the price,I tried to refer to the ad ,http://atlanta.en.craigslist.org/atl/msg/3813266704.html but it's not there anymore,Only a few of these (22 made) around.Two Dv72 ,(197 made)was 2 but now 3,first one was $2800.00,now down to $2400.http://dayton.craigslist.org/msg/3914810926.html Then this Dv72 started at over $3000.00,been on Ebay about $months or more,down to $1950.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/200940819492?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:VRI&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2661 and now this one ,that looks like original guild case with Maroon interior and certificate.http://omaha.craigslist.org/msg/3951828147.html.So that may help,maybe not .As for the Dv73 there were 52 made.

and this Dv73 sold a year or so ago for $2200.00 number# 19
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-Weste...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mike, FNG kinda summed it up. We don't like to think of them as "gaudy".... we like to think of them as "fabulous". Just saying. That's an amazing guitar you've got there and FNG also nailed the range of value. All depends on the condition.... and if you can find someone who really wants one. And usually someone does. So between West R Lee and FNG... that's all the info. We do love it when we get new members with awesome guitars, and we like it even BETTER when they post some photos. We know what they look like, but we sure don't get tired of seeing a new one. Can you post a few pics? That'd be great..... :encouragement:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Can you post a few pics? That'd be great..... :encouragement:
@Mike: Just to add to this, on LTG you need to host your pictures on a photo hosting webpage like ImageShack or whatever you use. And you link the jpg picture link here in the post using the little "Insert Image button" right next to the two little globes (which are the URL link/unlink buttons).
Ralf

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Value of a DV73?.......oh I'd consider $3000, but I think $2500 is about the average price for a really nice one. You might find one for less, but you'd have to get lucky I think.

West

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score
i think they only built 50 because they weren't that good

i'd give you $50 bucks for it....ONLY if it's in pristine condition

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score
Mike, FNG kinda summed it up. We don't like to think of them as "gaudy".... we like to think of them as "fabulous". Just saying.

it's gaudy if you play dylan with it....it fabulous if you're playing broadway showtunes

just sayin (he he he)

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Value of a DV73?.......oh I'd consider $3000, but I think $2500 is about the average price for a really nice one. You might find one for less, but you'd have to get lucky I think.

West

Maybe things are different in Canada, I never had to get lucky to complete a purchase. Steffan

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
hey tom....you can play ANYTHING on a guitar....it's all in the delivery

happy strumming out there...i hear it's pretty hot again??
Not bad here, A. It's only 104 today and for August that's practically a cold snap!! Time to refill the humidifiers, however..... it's only 12% RH. Just a tad dry, which makes the heat tolerable but it sure does wreak havoc on these acoustics..... :wink:

Last edited:

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Yoko, you can play showtunes on a guitar? How could I be gay and not know this?? :smiley_simmons:
Indeed Tom!!!
Mate..... these Guilds can handle showtunes with great pleasure and ease! I put mine through the paces here regularly.........Even Doing Stephen Sondheim tunes! ( No joke!). :courage:
So ......Now you actually CAN 'be happy', and know this too!
Cheer up ol' chap!!! :smiley_simmons:

Last edited: