Leadbelly, Where did you sleep last night?

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
That man is a legend. That video is a good sample of 'why'. Enjoyed that one Steve.....some great photos too.

Edit: Here's Nirvana unpluged, Giving due respect to Leadbelly in the intro, All members claiming he's their favorite performer and playing the same song as above. Pretty cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcXYz0gtJeM

Also mentioned is the story of how Cobain wants to buy Leadbellys Guitar for $500.000.

Plus.......Guild content!:love-struck:

Last edited:

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Thanks Steve!

BTW, this video:

[video=youtube;qJNvuvaIQe8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL8787F4C6EC9 7EB9F&v=qJNvuvaIQe8[/video]

Got me hooked, definitely, in Huddie Ledbetter's music. Pick a Bale of Cotton, wow...

All the best,
B.

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The video tag is the little film icon, boys! We don't need no stinkin' links!
mexica10.gif

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Being a child of the '90s, I discovered Leadbelly because of Nirvana's admiration for him. Being a big Nirvana fan even to this day, I searched out Leadbelly after the Unplugged album. I'm really glad I did as my knowledge of music history has expanded since then. As a side note, the Nirvana Unplugged session consisted of mostly covers from lesser known bands…much to the chagrin of MTV.

Guild content: That Guild bass does not belong to Nirvana. I believe they were going to use an Ovation until the Guild, owned by either the venue or MTV, was brought to them. They pissed some higher ups off by joking that they were going to throw it and destroy it during the show like they regularly did. It survived and can also be seen on the Eric Clapton Unplugged Sessions.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Guild content: That Guild bass does not belong to Nirvana. I believe they were going to use an Ovation until the Guild, owned by either the venue or MTV, was brought to them. They pissed some higher ups off by joking that they were going to throw it and destroy it during the show like they regularly did. It survived and can also be seen on the Eric Clapton Unplugged Sessions.

Great additional info there Ridge. I had no idea about that stuff. Wonder who has that Bass now.

charliea

Reaction score
Pete Seeger's "12-String Guitar as Played by Leadbelly" is long out of print, but shows up on eBay and is worth studying. There's an accompanying record (later CD) which can also be found. "In the Pines" (originally "Black Girl") and "Down in New Orleans" are my favorite Leadbelly numbers. I can play the same notes he did, however, and not sound very good. Others make the effort with similar results. Usually if I want Leadbelly, I listen to the original.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Okay, so we should post as many covers as possible…especially if there is Guild content. Probably one of the simplest versions out there, here is Dave Van Ronk singing an almost a cappella version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG_p61cRArs). If you listen closely, you can hear the rich meaty strums of his F50R.

Guild Dawg

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hell, southernGuild, I didn't even notice to begin with. Probably because the video quality online is so poor. Now that you mention it, though, it looks like they might all be playing Guilds. They also play a second musical number "Juliet" earlier in the same film.

I'm not as good at sorting them on sight as some other members of our little group -- maybe we need to make some flash cards like we used to have in the Army for aircraft and armored vehicle identification.

Here's a UK print ad from 1964 (same year the film was released) identifying The Four Pennies as one of a list of artists who use Guild guitars:
http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/adDetails/297