Guild Superstar Tremolo Problem...

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been fixing up a 1969 Guild Superstar. What a great sounding amp, and I have not even put my D-130 in it yet!

I'm having an issue with getting the tremolo working properly. The sound is weak and practically useless.

Someone butchered the tremolo circuit, which I had an excellent tube amp guy rebuild to the spec of the schematic. Tubes have all been tested as good and even swapped out just to be sure.

Perhaps it is just supposed to sound kind of Meh?

Does anyone out there have a Superstar? Would you be willing to make a recording of what a properly working tremolo sounds like?

Any help or input is most appreciated.

-ARegularJoe

bullet67

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been fixing up a 1969 Guild Superstar. What a great sounding amp, and I have not even put my D-130 in it yet!

I'm having an issue with getting the tremolo working properly. The sound is weak and practically useless.

Someone butchered the tremolo circuit, which I had an excellent tube amp guy rebuild to the spec of the schematic. Tubes have all been tested as good and even swapped out just to be sure.

Does anyone out there have a Superstar? Would you be willing to make a recording of what a properly working tremolo sounds like?

Any help or input is most appreciated.

-ARegularJoe
try guild amps on face book i think guy posted about having one fwiw the trem on my tbird is wierd also in a good way

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

-ARegularJoe

Hi Joe!
I don't think it's supposed to sound bad at all. Here is the schematic at Prowess Amps. Could be your guy missed something(it happens) or it could have something to do with the LDR in the circuit. Maybe it is bad or maybe your guy rebuilt it with a Fender part and that's why it doesn't sound good. Maybe subbing in the Ampeg trem unit would work.
http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/p-100087/tremolo-module-for-vintage-ampegs-tm1-m1-r

Reaction score
Hi Joe!
I don't think it's supposed to sound bad at all. Here is the schematic at Prowess Amps. Could be your guy missed something(it happens) or it could have something to do with the LDR in the circuit. Maybe it is bad or maybe your guy rebuilt it with a Fender part and that's why it doesn't sound good. Maybe subbing in the Ampeg trem unit would work.
http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/p-100087/tremolo-module-for-vintage-ampegs-tm1-m1-r

Thanks for the reply. That is the schematic we are working from. I'll double check the LDR and look into the ampeg part suggested.