F50 STD or F50?

Reaction score
I was thinking of purchasing an F50 or F50 STD and just noticed that the F50 STD has been discontinued.
So now I have to make a decision fast if I want the F50 STD.

There are really not many reviews of any significance that I can find, so I was wondering if anyone has
an F50 STD and can tell me how it compares sonically to the F50. I prefer the spartan looks.

Regards,
SL

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you prefer the look, definitely go for it, Larry. You'll save money in the process.

Just know that the Standard series has a satin-finished neck, which is (I think) the only playability difference you'll find. I can't actually say for certain, but I'm fairly sure everything else is exactly the same. The finish on the body might be slightly different than a Traditional series, but you'll never notice.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Quite a few differences between the F50 and F50 Standard really, and for me at least, I prefer almost all the features on the Standard. No ebony fingerboard, block inlays, or G shield headstock on the Standard, and I like the satin finish neck for playability better as well. Rocky at StreetSounds has one for a great price right now, too .

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think it's great that you can get a USA made F-50 for that price, they're smart to offer no-frills versions of the classics like this.

charliea

Reaction score
I'd say that even if they're discontinued, you'll probably find them in inventory for a long time to come. Some dealers seem to be selling NOS that's pretty ripe. On the other hand, that deal from StreetSounds is, and will continue to be, hard to beat.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I purchased a standard from Rocky today and it was a great deal.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations Larry. Always happy to spend someone else's money! :biggrin-new:

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations! That was a great buy. Looking forward to a report once you have it.

RussB

Reaction score
COOL!

I played an F-50 Std at LMGII that was a fantastic guitar. Another member here actually BOUGHT that particular guitar because of its awesomeness. 14 clams is an outstanding deal!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I should receive it on Monday and will provide a report a few days later.

Regards,
Larry

Reaction score
Very funny! Actually I have a 2012 F512 that I love. I have wanted a jumbo 6 string maple guitar for years and planned on buying a Gibson J-200 but like Guild, they discontinued their studio model this year and there build quality varies much more than that of Guild from what I have read. Besides for $1399.00 I just couldn't resist.

Regards,
Larry

Reaction score
Got my F50 Standard yesterday and my fingers are hurting!
Just can't put it down! ;-)

What an amazing guitar especially for the price! and beautiful!

Easy to play despite the medium strings, sounds well balanced with a unique tone.
Love the neck width.

The only curious thing is that there was not upper strap button installed which is
necessary in my opinion for a jumbo. One was installed on my F512 from the factory.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Got my F50 Standard yesterday and my fingers are hurting!
Just can't put it down! ;-)

What an amazing guitar especially for the price! and beautiful!

Easy to play despite the medium strings, sounds well balanced with a unique tone.
Love the neck width.

The only curious thing is that there was not upper strap button installed which is
necessary in my opinion for a jumbo. One was installed on my F512 from the factory.

Was your F512 equipped with pickup? Strap buttons weren't always standard on most models but seemed to be more common on pickup equipped instruments, probably on the assumption that they were more likely to be used while standing.
Also they installed a reinforcement block in the side where the button was mounted (extra production cost).
There was a bit of debate about it here when they started showing up and several folks mentioned they preferred to decide where to mount their own buttons, so it might have been a short-lived offering on acoustic-only instruments, if they weren't very popular and increased the cost besides..
I seem to recall a majority preferred to have the button in the neck heel.

Reaction score
Yes my F512 has the D-Tar electronics but has the button on the neck heel.

Its No big deal as I can simply install one. Actually now that I think of it, almost
All the acoustic guitar I have ever purchased didn't come with a top strap button.

I am more and more amazed and pleased with the F50. And I am shocked that Rocky hasn't sold them out yet!

SL