D-55 binding lifting

Reaction score
Hi, I am a brand new member, this is my first post. I have a 2001 D-55 that I bought new at Guitar Center. It is a westerly. The binding is lifting in the waist of the guitar. You probably couldn't even see it if I posted a picture. I have never heard of this happening. Would this be considered a warranty repair? It sounds like warranty work can be a nightmare and even. If it's covered I'm not sure it would be worth it. I had a local shop offer to change the strings, set up the guitar and epoxy the binding for $85. He said that it's not a proper repair but that it would work. He said that a proper repair would involve refinishing the guitar which is a big job and not one he could do. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Last edited:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Guild will question you about how well you have humidified the guitar. Lack of humidity will cause the wood to separate from the binding. If this is what caused the problem, it won't be covered by warranty.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It happened on my '99 D4 too. I wonder if they had glue issues during the late Westerly years.

Reaction score
I live Long Island, NY. This is a pretty humid environment,so I haven't had a humidifier in my case. Any thoughts on how to fix it?

mutantmoose

Reaction score
It could be glue, it could be humidity, or it could very likely be shrinkage of the binding. This might actually be a really easy fix - make a slice in the binding, glue it back down with a gap in it, then add some plastic that has been softened in acetone to fill the gap. A little filing, a little touchup, and done. If you have a good luthier anywhere close by, it's not that tough a job.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Bschnurm, Welcome to the forum. D55... nice guitar. You don't say where in the world you are but must be U.S. for a GC sale. And if it was bought new back in 2001 then it should be under warranty. The thing is you gotta make sure you've kept it properly humidified and such.... and, honestly, a little binding coming unglued is not that big a deal. When I moved from Southern CA to Las Vegas, Nevada... my guitar got so dry it wasn't even playable and I had some binding come loose. So I took it in and had the binding reglued and it wasn't a big deal. If I had used the warranty and gone through all that folderol to fix something that was my fault and then go through the shipping and such.... it wouldn't be worth it. Just have the binding glued by someone you trust and make sure your guitar is properly humidified..... that's my take.

Last edited:

Ridgemont

Reaction score
I'm with Tom on this one. Arguing for warranty work will take some time, and if approved, will probably take even longer. Besides I doubt they will refinish the guitar after gluing back the binding.

guildman63

Reaction score
Bschnurm,

Welcome! If you give us a general location of where you are perhaps a member can chime in on a good luthier that can take care of it for you. If you are near Boston i have a great luthier for you. It doesn't sound like a difficult fix, and should not require a refin for something so minor. Just make sure you keep it well hydrated to help prevent it from worsening. Good luck!

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. I have updated my profile to show that I am from Long Island, NY. If anyone knows a good luthier in the area I would appreciate it. I am out in Suffolk County.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone. I have updated my profile to show that I am from Long Island, NY. If anyone knows a good luthier in the area I would appreciate it. I am out in Suffolk County.

Call ("Private message") Sandy, forum handle "Twocorgis." He lives in your area.
Welcome aboard!