Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you smell your guitars

My guitars smell like butter and mint. :)
    T100 Mod Adventures!

Old tunes written and recorded in good ol' college days.

'95 DV52
    '94 JV52
    '93 F4CE
    '77 CE100D
    '58 T-100
    '57 T-100

Late to the thread here, but Chazmo and I are sound hole sniffers from way back! Of note is my new-to-me 2010 F512, which is so pristine, that it still smells like the New Hartford factory.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602M, '10 F512NT,
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst) '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype

Oh boy do I smell them....
    As Joe pointed out, (and I am a true living example of it) olfactory sensations are intense memory trigger points.
    For instance, if I smell a particular plant or flower while walking outside, and it happens to be a plant or flower that was part of the garden at my parents house or neighbor, the smell will immediately transport me to a very specific era (when that smell impressed my brain), along with minute details of what I was doing then. Brain is an amazing piece of equipment....
    Back to guitars: As a kid growing up in the family home, I remember very well the smell in one of my brothers room (the one who played guitar), as it was a combination of cigarette tobacco and inside of guitars, and I used to love smelling this exotic wood aroma by sticking my nose in the sound holes, well before I even knew I would ever get to play the thing!
    Love the smell of guitars. ;)
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

I can't say that I actually sniff soundholes or f-holes, but I do notice different aromas from different guitars. Some is a wood smell (my Martin D18V) others a lacquer (poly) smell (newer, less played guitars like a PRS or X160). It's usually a good smell, but I'm always leery of sniffing a used guitar that might have been under someone's arm while playing!

On a side note, I also enjoy the smell from an old Fender amp - hot tubes and electronics, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Haddad View Post
    I'm always leery of sniffing a used guitar that might have been under someone's arm while playing!
    Let me be very clear: I enjoy sniffing the INSIDE of the guitar, though the sound hole. And I don't think anyone's underarm or any other body part ever for that matter went in there.... or we need to discuss this on a whole other kind of forum! ;););)
    D25BR 1972
    DV72 1994
    F212 1975
    S100 1973
    S100 1974 (carved)
    Starfire IV 1966
    X175 1978
    Jetstar 1974

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    In this world there are always those who march to the sound of a different drummer. These wayward marchers go off and break boundaries. Blistering leads on an acoustic. Purple spandex, and proud of it. Gibsons on a Guild forum. But the world is a better place for their pioneering efforts.

I returned a Guild that I bought on EBay a while back because it absolutely reeked of cigarette smoke, and nothing I was going to do would change that smell. As soon as I opened the case, I knew there was a problem. The seller, of course, had mentioned nothing about it, probably because he was the smoker!

That's an angle from the other side of a guitar that smells like a nice, aged guitar might smell. ;)

Joe
    "Just give me one extra season, so I can figure out the other four."

Westerly:
    '75 D35
    '76 F112-6
    '94 D4-12

Other:
    Seagull S6

Quote Originally Posted by bluesypicky View Post
    Let me be very clear: I enjoyed sniffing the INSIDE of the guitar, though the sound hole. And I don't think anyone's underarm or other body part ever went in there.... or we need to discuss this on a whole other kind of forum! ;););)
    The AGF?
    Whoah, I just got a pop-up dialog box telling me that reply was too short to post, said I needed at least 10 characters.
    Gentlemen, I think there's an evil postbot on the premises.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Yeah - no more "+1" allowed!

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Now you have to be verbose with your veerage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    I am going to hang onto this little F-20 and play it as a reminder that life is sometimes rough, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the damage you accrue along the way defines who you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcellis
    Growing old is a bitch.
    Guild 12-strings:
    1978 G-312NT (Westerly) - "Franzz",
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Non-Guild 12s:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655