More hosting fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

dklsplace

Reaction score
If you hadn't noticed the outage for the past 60+ hours, your level of addiction isn't nearly high enough yet!

There is an LTG page on Facebook that someone created which I've posted to regarding outages recently, https://www.facebook.com/groups/185174848273856/. Or Frono has created a Yahoo group with mailing list that he uses to relay info in the event the site goes down. http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21220&hilit=yahoo+group

Basically, our hosting site said that LTG has been identified as having sent 105 spam emails that would seem to be some sort of bank phishing scam. According to their policies, the account automatically gets locked for 48 hours. I've been extremely unhappy with their level of service (or lack thereof in this case) as they didn't provide me with an example of the offending email, and locked me out of my control panel during the entire period so that I couldn't even log in to update any necessary security script. The support ticket generated for this outage also blocked me so I couldn't even access it on their own support page.

In short, LTG will be moving to a new server in the very near future, along with an upgrade to a vBulletin BB. Plenty of new bells & whistles included, so please be patient as you see things change. As I need to shut down this board at times during the upgrade, I'll include a status message on the main page so you know what's happening. Any main page message that isn't directly from me means that our host has done something again.

Thanks for hanging in there everyone!
Don

dklsplace

Reaction score
Just an update. We had been hacked & it appeared that some bot found a way in & changed permissions on some key files, allowing someone to piggy back from our system to send spam. Since it didn't effect the function of the forum, & our databases hadn't been compromised, it wasn't caught until the spam reports got back to the host. All is well there now, however the hosts handling of this, & the fact that they left us locked out well over their policy stated 48 hours was enough to tip the scales & we'll be moving to a new host shortly.

Stay tuned for further updates.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Clean up work is underway & some of you may have noticed the disappearance of some private categories that you were part of. Most hadn't been used or posted in for some time, but it's likely that the data transfer won't retain the private/hidden status of those groups.

At some point during the transfer, an archive section will be established which will house all posts beyond a specified date range.

Current passwords are encrypted & won't transfer, so after the transfer is complete, everyone will receive an email asking them to follow a link to update their password. PLEASE be sure that your email address is current now, or you won't receive the message with instructions to access the new system.

FYI, changing your email address here will temporarily deactivate your account as a security precaution. Don't worry, I'll be monitoring these and will make sure everyone is active before the change over.

Also, new member registrations are currently disabled, so if you know someone trying to register, tell them to be patient & check back after the change over.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Planning to have the forum down at some point Friday morning, 4/26, transferring data to the new system. Once complete, an email will go out to everyone regarding changing your password to access the new forum. Please note there may be outages or times that you aren't able to access the forum as we'll also be migrating to our new host.

This is your last chance to update your email address here to ensure that you'll receive notice and instructions for updating your password.

As noted in my first post, I strongly suggest that you also join or bookmark the LTG Facebook page, or join the Yahoo group for information and updates should there be any issues during the process.

Thanks everyone!
Don

dklsplace

Reaction score
Welcome to the new & improved LTG! There will definitely be a bit of a learning curve for everyone, so please be patient, and let us know if you discover anything out of place.

dklsplace

Reaction score
FYI, please access your personal profile to change or activate any personal notification settings.

Also, a couple folks noted that the system had told them they had been banned. Think I have that fixed, but if it happens to you, please let me know through the Facebook group, or the Yahoo group. My email address connected to LTG is flooded at the moment, so I probably won't see a response there right away.

dklsplace

Reaction score
LTG may be down for a bit again this afternoon. I'll be installing the new vBulletin system on our new host site this morning. Once that's complete, I'll shut things down here to run a backup of the board as it is now in order to transfer to the new host. At that time, the process of transferring the url to the new host will begin and we'll have one more temporary link to the forum until that migration is complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.