Starfire questions

mcflavin

Reaction score
My guess would be 2001, the last year Guild resided in Westerly. This is only a rough estimate as the chart I am going by is not reliable. Perhaps Hans will chime in and confirm or refute this date. Meanwhile, a picture is worth a thousand words! :wink:

Ok, I'll figure out how to post a pic. For now, imagine a blonde SF4 in perfect condition minus a ding in the top corner of the headstock. Actually, here are some pics: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350875527710?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

You might say I overpaid and if it is a 2001 with the newer Fender pickups, I guess you are right, but I fell in love with it as soon as I first played it so it isn't going back.

Dating it is a little tricky, though! Thanks for the guess! It seems to suggest that Guild made 800 SF4s in 2000 and 2001 though, and I wonder if that is a stretch.

Thanks again and kind regards to you,
Steve

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Pardon me, will you kindly point me to a thread where I can ask for assistance figuring out the date of a Starfire IV I just picked up? It has a number off all charts I can find online. AG001792
That puts it beyond 1999... The sticker says Westerly, but that is printed on the label.

My guess would be 2001, the last year Guild resided in Westerly.

Guild man63 is correct. That particular guitar was done during 2001.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

mcflavin

Reaction score
Many thanks, Hans, for the confirmation. So would you assume this has the newer Fender humbuckers that people are so down on? I understand from other posts here that if so, I should find and replace them with vintage HB1s.

steamfurnace

Reaction score
If you like the way the guitar sounds now, why replace them? My late 90's Starfire IV probably has the same pickups yours does, and it sounds great; I wouldn't change them.

jte

Reaction score
My SF IV is A0001784, purchased in 2001 from the FMIC sales rep's sample model. I generally like the way it sounds, but sometimes think it could use a bit more warmth ('though without sacrificing the top end). I've considered getting Seymour Duncan to rewind them like their '59 'bucker.

jte

guildman63

Reaction score
I have had several Guilds with post-HB1 pickups, and I thought they all had fantastic tone and played very well! I can understand the love of Guild HB-1's, but I do not understand the knock on the Fender or SD pups. They are all different, but all have their place. I would never have sold them if Guild had not decided to produce the GSR and AP guitars.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
My only remaining Starfire is a '00... or an '01. I forget. I'll wait to post to see my own sig to find out. :)

I've owned a LOT of Starfires, and this one is by far the most playable. My '76 'hog probably sounded the best, but this one gets close since I swapped out the pickups. Actually, I had the Fender pickups rewound because I like the Guild covers. :)

Edit - there you go - it's a '00.

jcwu

Reaction score
Question about the body contours for the different generations of Starfires - I seem to notice that the earlier Starfires seemed to have a wider upper bout and waist, whereas the 90's reissues had a narrower upper bout and waist? Or is that just my imagination?

Looks like the Newark Street series have gone back to the wider upper bout and waist. I think I like that look better. :)

Frank4001

Reaction score
I think the 90's - 2000's are more like 335's. I noticed some blondes had mahogany necks too. I like that thye are 3 piece. I think that make them stronger ad i bought mine a few months ago to play out.. Just played the King Biscuit Fest Saturday with Blind Mississippi Morris. What a thrill for me.. The Starfire did great.

jcwu

Reaction score
Oh yes, I remember the GSR Starfires were distinctly very Gibson-ish in their contours. I forgot to specify, I was asking about the Starfire II/III's. I was trying to confirm that it wasn't just an optical illusion or tricks played on my eyes that the earlier ones had a wider upper bout.