Mystery Guild Accordian Amp Model No. 50

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
(Posting for default, who seems to be having login problems)

From the Greek:

"You have an isolation transformer installed. You just need to have a three prong plug installed."

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
TonyT said:
Except for the getting dead part, that is one cool looking amp. I'd say worth the dough to make it safe.
But...
Play an Accordion, Go to Jail.
It's the Law.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But, OTOH, the best amps have accordion inputs. That might be a law, too.

Dave :D

josiahstumbomusic

Reaction score
Great news, thanks! Is playing it without without a grounded cord still potentially fatal? Would a diy install of the grounded cord be potentially fatal? Trying to weigh a calculated risk.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
josiahstumbomusic said:
Great news, thanks! Is playing it without without a grounded cord still potentially fatal? Would a diy install of the grounded cord be potentially fatal? Trying to weigh a calculated risk.

Yes and yes, but with plate voltages like that, I think just about anything associated with old tube amps is potentially fatal. :shock:

Still need default to install a grounded cord on my old Sunn 200S...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
twocorgis said:
Yes and yes, but with plate voltages like that, I think just about anything associated with old tube amps is potentially fatal. :shock:
And here I always thought "death caps" only referred to mushrooms.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
twocorgis said:
And here I always thought "death caps" only referred to mushrooms.

Death cap is when you wear your Washington Redskins logo ballcap to a Philadelphia Eagles home game.

(Feel free to substitute the teams of your choice. Eagles fans do have somewhat of a reputation but I am not suggesting they are any worse than the fans of any other team in any other sport).

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
(Feel free to substitute the teams of your choice. Eagles fans do have somewhat of a reputation but I am not suggesting they are any worse than the fans of any other team in any other sport).
From what I've observed Eagles fans are downright genteel compared to Oakland Raiders fans.... :lol:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The "death cap" is a .47 mfd cap connected from the hot to ground. If you want to depend on a 70 year old cheap capacitor to protect your life, you should rethink that. With no offense intended to adorski and frono, this is not a thread for joking.

josiah, if you don't know what a transformer is when you see it, you have no business mucking around inside of a tube amp. The cost for changing the cord is less than 50 bucks and the technician with be able to recognize repair issues that you can't.
Just spend the money and be safe, ok? :?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Default said:
The "death cap" is a .47 mfd cap connected from the hot to ground. If you want to depend on a 70 year old cheap capacitor to protect your life, you should rethink that. With no offense intended to adorski and frono, this is not a thread for joking.josiah, if you don't know what a transformer is when you see it, you have no business mucking around inside of a tube amp. The cost for changing the cord is less than 50 bucks and the technician with be able to recognize repair issues that you can't.
Just spend the money and be safe, ok? :?
Sorry Steve, and no offense taken.
I do recall learning about that whole issue about the capacitors when I first joined, even though I'm not a "leccie guy".
Josiah, I can assure you that Default knows whereof he speaks, just to emphasize his point.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Default said:
Just don't want to lose a forum brother over 35 bucks, y'know? :wink:
Or Burn down his house. :shock:
I rewire quite a few vintage lightfittings and cool retro appliances , just out of respect to the probability of that old wiring causing big troubles. Especially here in Aus. The house current is 240. If it bites you, It'll bite you good. :wink:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
southernGuild said:
Default said:
Just don't want to lose a forum brother over 35 bucks, y'know? :wink:
Or Burn down his house. :shock:
I rewire quite a few vintage lightfittings and cool retro appliances , just out of respect to the probability of that old wiring causing big troubles. Especially here in Aus. The house current is 240. If it bites you, It'll bite you good. :wink:

On this particular amp, it runs off house current, 120 volts. I really don't like the electrical tape on the cord, and the amp hasn't been recapped in decades.

josiahstumbomusic

Reaction score
Anybody want to add this to their collection?

I'm moving my family across country in a few weeks and looking at all of the music gear that I have acquired and not ended up using.

I never got the electronics on this amp updated and therefore haven't used it. Anybody interested in making me an offer on it? If not, would anybody be willing to give a shot at giving it a valuation? It seems like it's a pretty rare little gem.

Thanks!

Josiah

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
None of your previous images are showing, might be good to put them back up again.

Smart man, you lived to move your family across country! ; -)

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I never saw the original photos and no one ever ID'd the amp. Except for the "Sounds great with my Tele.." and the need to have the murder box made safe, I have no idea what it is.

What ELSE, besides and accordion would sound good with it ? Where does it live now ?

I just found THIS craigslist item. What makes me think IS the amp and Josiah >

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/msg/5454068964.html

All the safety warning are what caught my eye.

If so, Josiah, good luck with the sale. But, that is a hefty markup from the pawn shop price.

Last edited:

59Panhead

Reaction score
I'm always interested in such amps, as projects to revive and make as close to original in appearance and working condition. And, not knowing what the old amps sounded like when they were new, I'm content to say that it's working at its best, when I'm done.

That being said, if this is the same amp of this thread, you're right about the markup. Considerably higher than it's retail value. I hope the amp finds a good home. I don't think that it will move at this price.

Jack

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The pics are on facebook. It's interesting. It doesn't match any other Guild amp I have seen, although it has the Guild script logo and the green pilot lamp that Guild used. I don't know about the value, but I would not go for it at that price. That is Ampeg territory.

josiahstumbomusic

Reaction score
The pics are on facebook. It's interesting. It doesn't match any other Guild amp I have seen, although it has the Guild script logo and the green pilot lamp that Guild used. I don't know about the value, but I would not go for it at that price. That is Ampeg territory.

You guys found me! That's the craigslist post out of Minneapolis. http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/msg/5454068964.html

I was hoping to get feedback from you guys on the price. You can tell I had no idea where to start. I did the classic post-it-on-craigslist-high-and-see-if-anyone-bites trick.

Since you guys have the benefit of knowing how much I paid for it I'll tell you I would love to get between $250-300 for the amp. I'd like to think I found something of value that the Pawn shop didn't recognize? I can post more detailed pictures of the guts, or anything else you'd like to see if there is anybody that is interested in that price range. I'm going to move it down daily on Craigslist until somebody bites. If it goes lower than 250 I'll probably haul it around the country with me. It's a beautiful little piece of history--and it sounds pretty (as far as I remember, I haven't played it since you guys wisely warned me it's not worth risking my life).

If it happens that you live somewhere between Minneapolis and Cleveland we could meet in person in 3 weeks when we make the move! Otherwise I can ship it if you give me some advice on how to protect it in transit.

Thanks!

Josiah