Banjo Mute

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
southernGuild said:
Shoot, I already think a better guitar will inspire one to try harder, but now ya got me thinkin' 'bout zithers.... :lol:
:lol: I think that one has Brazilian Rosewood too Al. :wink:[/quote]
Steffan, help me out here!! REMOVE this temptation from before me, I beseech you!!!
:lol:

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
southernGuild said:
Shoot, I already think a better guitar will inspire one to try harder, but now ya got me thinkin' 'bout zithers.... :lol:
:lol: I think that one has Brazilian Rosewood too Al. :wink:
Steffan, help me out here!! REMOVE this temptation from before me, I beseech you!!!
:lol:[/quote]

I don't know how to do that Al. That might jeopardize my enabling status around here. Try Treem. :lol: Steffan

ladytexan

Reaction score
From a J. Henry ball-peen-like, mini-sledge hammer banjo silencer to zithers. It's never DULcimer around here! :wink: :lol: 8)

I luv you, Guys. Thanks for the veer....it's so much better than the original post. :)

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
adorshki said:
No apologies neccessary. :wink:
Obviously you don't know the movie or it would be forever branded on your brain, like me. :lol:
Orson Welles.
Cold War intrigue.
Vienna:
A crossroads on the Romany Trail.
Gypsy music influencing all of Europe and northern Africa to boot.
That stuff makes the hair on my arms stand on end. :D
More, here.
So if Anton Karas was an entree, here's the appetizer:
Zorba's Dance
Composed by Mikis Theodorakis.
In that one, I think it's actually bouzoukis and other greek instruments, but the connection is obvious, to me anyway, and confirmed by the map of the migrations in that Wiki article I linked above.
Finally, here's dessert, ala banjo:
Moscow Nights
I just loves turnin' on people to new (to them) music!
:D
Wow, Al:

Thanks for the links and all the enjoyment! :D

Orson Well's is known to me, but just by name. I think I've not seen any of his movies.

Zorba The Greek, is a familiar movie, to me, for my mom. She always talks about it and about Anthony Quinn... And with Mr. Theodorakis I'm familiar for his tribute to Pablo Neruda's Canto General, although I've not listened the complete work. And Mr. Ball is quite a player. I didn't have him in my notes: thank you, once more. I'll have it mind.

And well, the connections with Gypsy music are huge. That map is very illustrative. Unfortunately, here in Chile, Romani people are known, mainly, for their women who offer to "read" your hand or by his tents, not for his music or his culture. :(

I'll try to see that movie: Latcho Drum!

Thanks again! :D

A hug & All the best,
B.

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
southernGuild said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Good-Antiq ... 4d098ac381
Here's one , Good condition, and in a case! :D
As I said, I just met this instrument, but at that price, seems like a good deal. It could work, in the worst case, as a very cool ornament. :roll:

Anyway with that so specific and fully detailed, but short description, plus the absence of photos, I would doubt...

All the best,
B.

ladytexan

Reaction score
One of the best places to find used zithers, (mountain) dulcimers, and other stringed instruments is the Goodwill online auction website.

Here is an autoharp with a current bid of $24.45. :shock: With a case.......yeah!

sa8671837219-tt.JPG

Handmade dulcimer at $51.50

sa490991219-ht.jpg

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Toni,

Newbie question here:

Generally speaking, those items are in good conditions? or that place, is a good one for finding old-timey instruments like a zither, but not, for example, for a Stella guitar? or is a good place to find cheap instruments with certain potential, that worth the repair costs?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance! :D
All the best,
B.

ladytexan

Reaction score
SouthernSounds said:
Toni,

Newbie question here:

Generally speaking, those items are in good conditions? or that place, is a good one for finding old-timey instruments like a zither, but not, for example, for a Stella guitar? or is a good place to find cheap instruments with certain potential, that worth the repair costs?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance! :D
All the best,
B.
You know, Bruno, it's a toss-up....like most things. The instruments are donated to Goodwill (most cases, the givers take a tax write-off). Good will is a charitable organization to help those in need. So, if something didn't sell at a garage sale, folks will pack stuff-up and leave it at the Goodwill bin versus re-assimilating the unsold items. :) Sometimes, items are donated when a family is closing-out an estate, too. Goodwill is a very reputable charity.

Recently, a donated '49 C.F. Martin guitar sold for $3800. One buys an item, as is...with no return options. So, I imagine there are some very good buys and not-so-good buys. Buyer beware, and I recommend doing some double-checking before buying. Oftentimes, the shipping rates are rather high because the Goodwill folks haven't figured-out how to ship economically.

There are some good buys to be had, for sure. :)

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Toni,

That's a great initiative: worthy of being replicated, for sure!

And it's probably a better chance for US citizens, than for me. With patience you probably can find something really nice.

Thanks, as always, Lady Texan. :D

A hug & All the best,
B.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
SouthernSounds said:
And Mr. Ball is quite a player. I didn't have him in my notes: thank you, once more. I'll have it mind.
Surpisingly, I didn't actually know the name of the tune for many years. I always assumed it had its roots in an American southern folk tune because of the banjo and because it reminds me of "When Johnny Comes Marching Home".
It may seem amazing a Russian folk tune would sound like a dixieland song, but when you consider the "gypsy connection" to northern Africa and then the "banjo connection" from there to here, via the slave trade, it all makes sense, and is a fascinating piece of music history.
SouthernSounds said:
A hug & All the best,
B.
Right back at you! :wink:
AS a "finale" and to bring the thread back to the roiginal topic in honor of banjos, I'll also recommend Bela Fleck's "Throw Down Your Heart" in both movie and album format, with a sample here.
Like Mr. Theodorakis, he personifies the musician's role as ambassador of cultural exchange throughout history.
:wink:

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Al,

Once again, I'm glad to be here and to have the chance to share with folks like you.

adorshki said:
(...) is a fascinating piece of music history.
Absolutely & Very exciting, to say the least. :D

adorshki said:
I'll also recommend Bela Fleck's "Throw Down Your Heart" in both movie and album format, with a sample here.
That movie comes in perfect time. I've been listening to some of the instruments that appear in that movie: a kora or a n'goni and this blend with a banjo, seeking for his roots, is frankly amazing.
I'll see it ASAP! :D

adorshki said:
Like Mr. Theodorakis, he personifies the musician's role as ambassador of cultural exchange throughout history.
That's something that attracts me to music: that unique language. And that's why I admire, more than musically speaking, to Bob Brozman.

As always, thank you Al! :D

A hug & All the best,
B.