griehund

Reaction score
WMass.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's funny! My bride still can't pronounce "Worcester". It comes out sounding more like "Woooooster". :lol:

Qvart

Reaction score
griehund said:
That's over near Leicester. :)

Which is a town near me that the locals insist on pronouncing "Lee-sester." Although I met someone once from that town in England, and they pronounce it "Lester." :lol:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chazmo said:
Would you like a "badayda" with your dinna? I'm from Lesta
I don't have any cool old English town names to refer to since I grew up in Fall River. :(
I have to go back to an early name for the town — Quequechan — which is Narraganset for Falling River. (Pronounced kweh-kweh-shan, btw)

Qvart

Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
Chazmo said:
I don't have any cool old English town names to refer to since I grew up in Fall River. :(
I have to go back to an early name for the town — Quequechan — which is Narraganset for Falling River. (Pronounced kweh-kweh-shan, btw)

Yeah, but Buckeyes have fun German and Indian names like "Gnadenhutten," and "Tuscarawas." :lol:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Qvart said:
AcornHouse said:
Chazmo said:

Yeah, but Buckeyes have fun German and Indian names like "Gnadenhutten," and "Tuscarawas." :lol:
Hey! I may live in Ohio, and 2 degrees from Ohio State, but I'm not a buckeye! :twisted:

(Sorry, a sore point since I have to deal with crazed buckeyes all the time.)

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It used to be said of former Gov. Peabody that he had the same names as three MA towns, Endicott, Peabody, and Athol.
Brad

Qvart

Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
(Sorry, a sore point since I have to deal with crazed buckeyes all the time.)

I hear ya. I'm a Buckeye ex-pat myself (do I qualify as a tarheel after 10 years?). :lol:

Qvart

Reaction score
In college and a little afterwards I dated someone for five years who was from Mattapoisett. I still catch myself saying wicked sometimes. It just fits. :lol:

Y'all can have WMA. Got caught in a blizzard in North Hampton one time. I'll take WNC over that any ol' day.

griehund

Reaction score
Qvart said:
In college and a little afterwards I dated someone for five years who was from Mattapoisett. I still catch myself saying wicked sometimes. It just fits. :lol:

Y'all can have WMA. Got caught in a blizzard in North Hampton one time. I'll take WNC over that any ol' day.

Northampton is a great town. Great concert venues and a Guild dealer. The blizzards only happen in the winter. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The backstory behind the name of the California town of Coalinga is that it was in fact, once upon a time, known as "Coaling Station A", or "Coaling A"
Weed, on the other hand, predates the inauguration of its currrent predominant commercial enterprise by close to a century. :roll:
And finally, in other world geography, there's "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch"
:lol:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Used to be a lot of musical instrument manufacture in this crazy town of mine (well, neighbor, that is).

These days, it's got a zillion hospitals and collges, but a second rate airport and no parking at the train station. a world-class art museum, but no real downtown to speak of. Also, good luck finding a hotel to stay in. Just not a balanced economy at all.