Welcome to Western Mass (R rated)

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
My wife is from Gloucester. (First time I ever saw it written, I had no idea it was actually what she had been referring to as "Gloustah") :lol:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
griehund said:
Qvart said:
In college and a little afterwards I dated someone for five years who was from Mattapoisett. I still catch myself saying wicked sometimes. It just fits. :lol:

Y'all can have WMA. Got caught in a blizzard in North Hampton one time. I'll take WNC over that any ol' day.

Northampton is a great town. Great concert venues and a Guild dealer. The blizzards only happen in the winter. :)

My mom was a Smithie, so there's always been an affinity for Northampton here. Well, that and the Iron Horse... :D

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I go there often, Pascal. My buddy and I go boating out of Marblehead harbor and swing up by Gloucester. Funny... we were visiting his boat repair people (also in Marblehead, and in the building where they have the shipyard is Bill Tippin's workshop. I met the man and talked Guilds with him for about 1/2 hour this year. What a nice guy.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
I go there often, Pascal. My buddy and I go boating out of Marblehead harbor and swing up by Gloucester. Funny... we were visiting his boat repair people (also in Marblehead, and in the building where they have the shipyard is Bill Tippin's workshop. I met the man and talked Guilds with him for about 1/2 hour this year. What a nice guy.

Oh that's right, I forgot..... there are several "Gloustahs". :eek:
My wife is from the one in VA. Hole in the wall by Yorktown, the pride of Lafayette! :lol:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
Chazmo said:

Oh that's right, I forgot..... there are several "Gloustahs". :eek:
My wife is from the one in VA. Hole in the wall by Yorktown, the pride of Lafayette! :lol:
:) That's funny. I assumed you meant Massachusetts. Those ole' British names... Very confusing. :)

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
bluesypicky said:
I Know that one!
I lived in NewPort News and later Yorktown in the Mid 80's. Lots of history there.
I actually lived in this very house!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5xpoziMp8
Whilst it was still in private hands. Lots of great memories.....Spooky stories too! :shock:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
southernGuild said:
bluesypicky said:
I Know that one!
I lived in NewPort News and later Yorktown in the Mid 80's. Lots of history there.
I actually lived in this very house!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5xpoziMp8
Whilst it was still in private hands. Lots of great memories.....Spooky stories too! :shock:
Now what about that? Amazingly small world ain't it?
So you're THE ONE knowing about Gloucester VA. hmmm? :lol:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"These days, it's got a zillion hospitals and collges, but a second rate airport and no parking at the train station. a world-class art museum, but no real downtown to speak of. Also, good luck finding a hotel to stay in. Just not a balanced economy at all."

Good description of Worcester, Chazmo! Never really has gotten its act together. I love driving through Worcester in the autumn, when the city actually TELLS people to rake their leaves into the street to be picked up! Of course, they very rarely pick them up before it snows - what a mess!

walrus

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
walrus, did you grow up around here? I'm an import. Graduated college in the the Boston area in the '80s and stayed up here for work, but I'm originally from New York City / Long Island.

I think the history of these MA towns is just fascinating.

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Being from Worcester County, Maryland, I can pronounce it, except we pronounce the "R", not "ah"(at the end).

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
walrus said:
I love driving through Worcester in the autumn, when the city actually TELLS people to rake their leaves into the street to be picked up! Of course, they very rarely pick them up before it snows - what a mess!
Well at least yer not gettin' as much government as yer payin' fer!