NAMM 2013: Newark St. Collection electric models

tele4tone

Reaction score
Re: NAMM 2013: Newark St.™ Collection electric models

SFIV1967 said:
Walter Broes said:
tele4tone said:
Any one catch the S73 label? I don't need a second one. Dude, how many posts does there need to be to show that we wanted the HB-1 back and they give us minibuckers? I'm sorry, but this fail is as bad as the Dearmond in my opinion. I hate being negative about this.
Jeff
Well, on the other hand, they're bringing back Franz pickups, and for guys like me, that's pretty spectacular. I honestly didn't think that was ever going to happen.
And the X-175 (and also X-500) sounded great! We listened to the 175 at NAMM when people played her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rok3MCHxng
Can't say the same yet for the mini humbuckers as there are no videos so far with a clean kind of Blues tone. And I didn't plug a Starfire IV in at NAMM unfortunately...
Ralf

I think a lot of this news is great. I'm just bummed it is turning out this way for the S-100.

jimmyl51

Reaction score

Bottom line an A-150b for approximately $1000 U.S. in today's economy? INCREDIBLE! jim at Tinker AFB Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Thunderface

Reaction score

SFIV1967 said:
The Franz copy pickups are the same as in the American Patriarch™ M-75 Aristocrat™.
That might just sell me one right there, that and the price. Did you pick one up and hold it, get a good look at it, Ralf? How does it compare to your real deal '56 Aristocrat?

Zelja

Reaction score

Thunderface said:
SFIV1967 said:
The Franz copy pickups are the same as in the American Patriarch™ M-75 Aristocrat™.
That might just sell me one right there, that and the price. Did you pick one up and hold it, get a good look at it, Ralf? How does it compare to your real deal '56 Aristocrat?
From what I have gathered this is true but this will be the pickups made by the "factory", presumably in Korea & are not the the same pickups that SD made for the recent GSR models. Ralf can you confirm?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Zelja said:
From what I have gathered this is true but this will be the pickups made by the "factory", presumably in Korea & are not the the same pickups that SD made for the recent GSR models. Ralf can you confirm?
Correct. Guild "own" pup, not SD.
The N St. X-175, N St. M-75, AP X-500 and AP M-75 all use the same P/U under the hood, just the white top outside is different. At least that is what I was told. SD does not make any for Guild anymore, but as MJ from SD told us she is happy to wind more for whoever wants them. So now we need to wait and see which one is the "better" Franz copy. The nice thing: There are choices!
Ralf

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Thunderface said:
SFIV1967 said:
Mhm, are you talking N St. or AP?
The AP one was spot one, same feel to the hand, same weight, absolutely same color of the burst. Basically one was fooled to hold the original '56 in his hands. Even same sound of the wood when tapped on top and bottom. I had no chance to plug her in, so can't comment on the pickups and there are no videos, but those pickups in the X-175 sounded fabulous!

The N St. is a '59 (?) model and I never had a '59 model in my hands, so I can't compare. The N St. model was feeling even lighter than the AP model. When tapping the backwood it sounded thinner! But Mike Lewis told me both use 5mm wood. He said that could be due to different wood qualities used, maybe the N St. model used less dense wood. I mean there is a difference for $4000 price difference... Also since it is a different finish it feels different in the hands. Not that there is something wrong with Poly, after all my Bluesbird from Westerly is also using Urethane and it is a great guitar.

So I think everybody needs to judge for himself, as Mike said, they are not re-issues but the 2013 versions...And clearly if I would not have my '56 M-75, for roughly the same price I would order that new AP M-75! I have two Fender custom shop guitars, a 50th year anniversary Strat from John Cruz and a 2012 Custom Pro Tele. Both are definitely nicer to me than the average $1000 Tele or Strat. So it all comes down what one expects and wants to do with it and is willing or able to pay for it. The good thing is: There are multiple choices now. (Didn't I say that before? :lol: )

Ralf

Last edited:

Thunderface

Reaction score

Choices are good. Thanks for the report, Ralf. I didn't expect the Newark St. Aristocrat to be spot on like the American Patriarch Aristocrat, but I'm gathering from your report that for the price, the Newark Street Aristocrat will be a pretty darn nice guitar for the budget conscious.

And considering I have four vintage Guilds right now, perhaps it's time to delve into something new. :D

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

The Guilds of Grot said:
SFIV1967 said:
iJ9ejXO9L0ktQ.JPG
Ralf, hard to find any faults in your post but if you meant to locate the Guild Hoboken factory with the red "X", you have the wrong building. The Neumann Leather building which is where the Guild factory was located, is the "U building to the right of the building with the X.

HobokenFactory.jpg

Hello Grot & Ralf,

Here's an old historical picture/drawing of the Neumann Leather Building. Where you see the 3 green X-marks is the second floor where Guild used to be located after they came down from the 6th floor.

NeumannLeathers_3.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

:) Ralf, Kurt, if you'd just averaged it out, you'd've been right on the money. :)

Thanks, Hans! Hey, were they originally on the 6th floor of that same building?

Zelja

Reaction score

With the American Patriarchs being custom orders, I wonder if you could ask for a bigger/wider neck than the 41mm currently specified. For ~$1k I could live with the 42mm neck on the Newark Street series, but no way could I spend $5k on guitar with a neck which is too narrow compared to my strong preference for 43mm necks.

Thunderface

Reaction score

Thunderface said:
Choices are good. Thanks for the report, Ralf. I didn't expect the Newark St. Aristocrat to be spot on like the American Patriarch Aristocrat, but I'm gathering from your report that for the price, the Newark Street Aristocrat will be a pretty darn nice guitar for the budget conscious.

And considering I have four vintage Guilds right now, perhaps it's time to delve into something new. :D
Is quoting yourself akin to talking to yourself? :? :lol: But seriously though, I thought I'd throw a little side-by-side of a real 1959 Aristocrat M-75 (currently listed at $8,500 at frettedamericana.com) and the 2013 Newark Street Aristocrat M-75, based on the 1959 and made in Korea.

59NS13M75_zpseb53cd4b.jpg

Some subtle differences and upgrades, but all in all, a pretty sweet Guild at an affordable price, no matter where it was made.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Thunderface said:
I thought I'd throw a little side-by-side of a real 1959 Aristocrat M-75 (currently listed at $8,500 at frettedamericana.com) and the 2013 Newark Street Aristocrat M-75, based on the 1959 and made in Korea.
Some subtle differences and upgrades, but all in all, a pretty sweet Guild at an affordable price, no matter where it was made.
Not a good example to compare with... The one at frettedamericana is an early '59 model, in later 59 the appointments changed.
Have a look at this later 59 one:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1959-Guild-M...cx/$(KGrHqF,!jME66NElpO+BO4iURsp7Q~~60_57.JPG
The only difference is the sunburst, which has a lot more red in the 2013 model.
Ralf

Qvart

Reaction score

That's one helluva a promo video. Honestly, the Newark St. series don't look half bad, and sound pretty good. My only thinking about them is...well...I have these:

031311.jpg

And now this:

04SFIV_zps1a49be68.jpg

I don't see how the new Korean models could ever compete with HB-1's, but they do sound nice. As for replicas of older Guilds, this line might definitely spark some interest.

Cheers.

guildman63

Reaction score

$8500? At that price I could get the American Patriarch M-75, and still have enough left over for a GSR Starfire, T-500 or X-180!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

guildman63 said:
$8500? At that price I could get the American Patriarch M-75, and still have enough left over for a GSR Starfire, T-500 or X-180!
Yeah, Fretted Americana's pricing is totally out of place, hence it is not sold since a long time...But hey, it was demo'ed by Phil X ! The YouTube video was uploaded in November 2010 already, that's at least how long that guitar sits in their shop...
http://www.gbase.com/gear/guild-aristoc ... 9-sunburst
Ralf

Thunderface

Reaction score

031311.jpg

04SFIV_zps1a49be68.jpg

Don't think the DV-52 is vintage just yet, but clearly with the other three you've "Gone Vintage." :D