Bad Guitar/Bad Player

ladytexan

Reaction score
A good player can make a bad guitar sound good.
A good player can make a good guitar sound great.
A good guitar cannot make a bad player sound good.
A bad guitar and a bad player is awful.

Dang, this is sorta discouraging, as I have often thought that I would be better with a good guitar. :shock: :D

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Lady T, my guitar playing sucks. But I like good guitars so, as long as they make ME happy.... then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. That works for me.

To quote Julia Sugarbaker: “In the end, it doesn’t matter what anybody else thinks about you. People are gonna forget you about ten minutes after you die anyway. The point is, you have to be exactly who and what you want to be. Most everybody’s coasting along on phony public relations, people will say being beautiful, rich or thin makes them happy. People are trying to make their marriages or their children seem better than they actually are, and for what? Appearances. Appearances don’t count for diddly. When it’s all said and done, all that counts is what was true, and truly felt and how we treated one another. And that’s it.”
— Julia Sugarbaker (Dixie Carter)
(Designing Women, Season 4 - Episode 11 - “They Shoot Fat Women, Don’t They”)

ladytexan

Reaction score
davismanLV said:
To quote Julia Sugarbaker: “In the end, it doesn’t matter what anybody else thinks about you.
Tom, I was going more for the PING golf clubs scenario where golfers always talk about how their game would improve if they 'only' had a set of PINGs. :) ;) I play for enjoyment, not because I'm any good or want to impress anyone....the walls don't talk (thank goodness!). ;)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, I got the joke, Toni!! It was fun. And thank goodness my walls can't talk. They could tell you some really GOOD stuff and some really AWFUL stuff.... and everything in between!! I still want a better guitar!! :lol: :lol:

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
davismanLV said:
I still want a better guitar!! :lol: :lol:
Just the thought of the walls talking has me scared! :lol:
But Yes...........A great guitar makes me want to play it, and play it better. I'm not so good myself, but I enjoy the musical journey and the learning. Not to mention, the wonderful folks I've met along the way. It's been a pleasure and a privledge all along. :wink:

Emory

Reaction score
My guitars are far better than my ability, and that's the way it should be, imho. I layed off playing for about 20 years, got back into it when I was out on stress disability (I taught emotionally disturbed gangsters... duh). Found that guitar playing was about only thing that didn't stress my brain out. Better than prozac, guitars are my therapy. If you are happy, or happy enough, seems that is what counts.

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
ladytexan said:
A good player can make a bad guitar sound good.
A good player can make a good guitar sound great.
A good guitar cannot make a bad player sound good.
A bad guitar and a bad player is awful.

Dang, this is sorta discouraging, as I have often thought that I would be better with a good guitar. :shock: :D

How true, how true - and posted on my birthday too.

Pity to waste a good Guild on me really :mrgreen:

griehund

Reaction score
"It ain't the arrow, it's the Injun".

I keep myself from spending too much money by refusing to buy a "better" instrument until I play the ones I have better. So far it's worked.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
griehund said:
I keep myself from spending too much money by refusing to buy a "better" instrument until I play the ones I have better. So far it's worked.
Ahhhhh.....BUT....if the better instrument inspires you to try harder, as one of our new members mentioned recently, then a better guitar could make you a better player! :D

griehund

Reaction score
adorshki said:
griehund said:
Ahhhhh.....BUT....if the better instrument inspires you to try harder, as one of our new members mentioned recently, then a better guitar could make you a better player! :D

Ahhhhh....But.....It's wicked easy to rationalize the purchase of a new (fill in the blank). Self restraint is hard work and I'm a worker bee at heart. I've set a goal of a Newark St SFIII as the reward for an undetermined amount of practice. When I feel like I've improved enough to warrant a new guitar I will then reconsider. Think of the money I save. Like Pavlov's dog, sometimes I reward myself and sometimes I don't. It took me almost a year to buy my Gretsch. But that's just me and I'm kind of weird. :lol: :lol: :lol:

griehund

Reaction score
adorshki said:
griehund said:
Self restraint is hard work...
Some people make a show of getting out of a straight jacket....you make a show of gettin' back into 'em? :shock: :lol:

"If you don't eat yer meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you
have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?"

Like I said, I'm kind of weird. :lol: :lol: :lol:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
griehund said:
adorshki said:
griehund said:
Some people make a show of getting out of a straight jacket....you make a show of gettin' back into 'em? :shock: :lol:

Not too many here can beat me at my own game, but on this one I'll humbly concede... :lol:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
griehund said:
adorshki said:
griehund said:

Round this neck of the wood there has been a bit of a stir because the mincemeat used for burgers etc has been found to have more of Mr Ed than Mrs Moo in it :(

Brings a whole new meaning to Spaghetti Bologneighs :roll: :mrgreen:

griehund

Reaction score
JerryR said:
Round this neck of the wood there has been a bit of a stir because the mincemeat used for burgers etc has been found to have more of Mr Ed than Mrs Moo in it :(

I was just reading this morning that they have found pain killer meds in the horse meat. But I haven't found the story to verify it. Still looking. Just when you think you've heard it all. :roll:

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
griehund said:
JerryR said:

I was just reading this morning that they have found pain killer meds in the horse meat. But I haven't found the story to verify it. Still looking. Just when you think you've heard it all. :roll:

Yup - it's a painkiller used for horses that is harmful to humans, phenylbutazone. See some coverage on the BBC News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21482439

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
JerryR said:
griehund said:
JerryR said:
...... have more of Mr Ed than Mrs Moo in it :(

.pain killer meds in the horse meat. ..........

Yup - it's a painkiller used for horses that is harmful to humans, phenylbutazone. See some coverage on the BBC News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21482439

Phenylbutazone, Horse people here call it "but", pronounced butte.

Interesting read on Wikipedia on human side effects. Even more interesting since my sister, a horse person all her life, now age 58 has been diagnosed with mysterious blood disorder symptoms disturbingly similar to those described.

Thanks for posting it up Jerry, I'm off to call my sister.