Star Fire gigbag?

saemola

Reaction score
Hey guys,

do you have any suggestion on where to find a gigbag for my SFII bass?
the body is larger than any gigbag I've come by!

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Acoustic bass guitar gig bags do work. Though they're not a tight fit. I bought one of these for my Ibanez semi hollow bass:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... ar-gig-bag
pretty nice quality with a bit extra room

Otherwise, this thread over at talkbass.com might be interesting for you
http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/ngbd-950281/

saemola said:
Hey guys,

do you have any suggestion on where to find a gigbag for my SFII bass?
the body is larger than any gigbag I've come by!

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Gig bag?? For a hollowbody?

In a blink of an eye, you may be looking st hundreds of dollars in repair bills.

saemola

Reaction score
Happy Face... I hear you.
but unfortunately I don't have a car, and sometimes biking is the only way.
don't worry, I'll take care of the baby. :mrgreen:

mellowgerman, the Fender bag seems like a perfect choice for me.
I was looking for something not too expensive (i.e. no custom/lather/fashionable bags).

thanks!

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Perhaps a gig bag with straps that allow it to be carried on your back would be useful then?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy Face said:
Perhaps a gig bag with straps that allow it to be carried on your back would be useful then?

Or something like this for your hard case.

BACK.jpg

saemola

Reaction score
Happy Face said:
the Fender bag does seem to have straps.

fronobalux, never seen anything like that.
sounds like it's gonna be HEAVY though.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
saemola said:
Happy Face said:
the Fender bag does seem to have straps.

fronobalux, never seen anything like that.
sounds like it's gonna be HEAVY though.

Neither had I until someone was looking for something like it in another thread.

Not going to be any heavier than the guitar in a HSC I imagine.

While I cringe at the thought of a gig bag I do recall switching my tuba to the gig bag (from the HSC) when I had to travel to my lesson on what was essentially a school bus and walk to and from the bus stop. Of course the HSC for the tuba was at least 15 lbs empty and I had no straps so it was just a dead weight at the end of my arm.

saemola

Reaction score
dammit... the Fender Bag both at Musician's Friend and Guitar Center ship in March.
any other suggestion for a gig bag? :mrgreen:

edwin

Reaction score
I got a Glenn Cronkhite bag and it's great. It took a while to get and wasn't cheap but is hands down the best gig bag I've ever owned. Even the zipper is a luxurious experience. I can fit the Alembic power supply in the pocket along with the strap and 5 pin cable with room to spare and the padding is such that I have no fear of damage with reasonable use. Plus, it just smells great.

Now that he's done my bass, he has the bass on file, so you don't need to do a tracing.

http://www.glenncronkhite.com

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Hi Edwin, I linked your older thread over talkbass in a post up above. Always a pleasure to see that gorgeous instrument!! Did it start its life as a SFB-I?

Wilfred

Reaction score
Sorry for not being of any help concerning the original question, but as an (ex-) Alembician myself I have to contribute my sincere 'wow' here. Lovely Santa Rosa 'fairy dusted' Starfire, one of my ultimate dream basses!

edwin

Reaction score
mellowgerman said:
Hi Edwin, I linked your older thread over talkbass in a post up above. Always a pleasure to see that gorgeous instrument!! Did it start its life as a SFB-I?

It was a SFI, with the single neck pickup. I got in 1992 from a repair guy in New Jersey to whom I was referred by Wolf Ginandes in Boston. I casually mentioned I was looking for one when he was fixing another bass and his response was "I can't imagine why you'd want that. Oh well, no accounting for taste, my buddy in Jersey has one. Here's his number." I ended up getting it for $275 shipped in a big cardboard box wrapped in newspaper with no case.

The first mod, which was done by Jim Mouradian in Cambridge MA, was the addition of Bartolini triple coil GB pickups and a Badass bridge. That lasted for quite a while and when I moved to Boulder a few years later, Mike Stephens of Woodsongs Lutherie cut a door in the back to access the electronics. He did a great job, it looks like a factory option! Next, Fred started making the Dark Stars, so I got a pair of those. The electronics up to that point were Bartolini, with an 18 volt three band system. A few months after adding the Dark Stars, I put in an ACG 01 preamp. Around that time, I got the hardware together and Matt Bergdorf installed it. It sounded great with that combination and I toured with Great American Taxi for a few years like that and recorded Reckless Habits with it.

Shortly after that, I changed it back to the Bart triple coils for fun. Around that time, I found the Series pickups and electronics for sale separately and jumped on them. I also got a very nice Alembic Series I so I gave the bass to Matt and had him build the pickup rings. At that point, I had shown him pictures of Phil's modified Guilds, but he didn't really know that much about it, so he started doing some research. Even though he grew up in the Bay Area, he'd never listened to the Dead, so I lent him a few discs (notably Europe '72) and pointed him at Archive.org. It took him a few months (and about twice what I paid for the bass) to install the pickups as he really spent a ton of time to get the rings shaped perfectly to the curve of the top and by then, when I'd come in to check on it, he was already talking about different versions of the songs, etc. He became quite a fan, mostly of the early years. Meanwhile, I took the bag of electronic parts, which were mostly complete, and rebuilt them into a Series II configuration (misreading the caps in the filter by a factor of 100, thus sending the filtering into the megahertz range, but 10 minutes on the phone with Ron Wickersham sorted that out). It's a bit noisy and the pickups are microphonic (so no wild filtered feedback experiments. :( Someday I might replace them, but they sound soooo good!). Now, it is without a doubt my favorite sounding bass. Bandmates and soundpersons alike also love it. It's been a crazy ride, but well worth it.

Oh yeah, it has Phil and Jack's signatures on the back of the headstock.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I love Wolf. Good guy, good bass player.

Mungi

Reaction score
A Hagström hag bag for the Hagström Viking bass will fit perfectly I guess. They should be the same size.

Hagbag_Bass_66c9ced7a59ac6c4c0a2b2ace1628364.jpg

ukulelelab

Reaction score
I re-united the jetstar with an old friend today (original leather gig bag). I'm delighted!
S7000112.jpg

69fd0e56-2e6a-4aea-a737-1fbb9612760b.jpg

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

ukulelelab

Reaction score
Thank you Ralf. I'm also after a pair of thumbrests so will also check if they have any spare ones.