Nu Sonic pickups...

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
PXLated said:
Just for reference...I have an "66" Starfire 1 (bridge pickup version) and the Hagstrom has but one magnet. I'm the original owner.
Wait, you have a Starfire you bought in 66? That's pretty awesome. My longest-held I bought 40 years ago next month, but the original owner; cool.

henry norton

Reaction score
NuSonics are finished and ready for general release. It took a little longer than I thought ironing out some minor issues with the bobbins and mounting rings but I'm confident I've now got a pickup that looks just like a Bi Sonic but is a little more adaptable for pole spacing and number of strings!

For some reason I can't post pictures so here's the address to my website with pics and a soundfile link

http://lhnborn.com/page5.htm

As before, I'm always interested in feedback

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
NuSonics are finished and ready for general release. It took a little longer than I thought ironing out some minor issues with the bobbins and mounting rings but I'm confident I've now got a pickup that looks just like a Bi Sonic but is a little more adaptable for pole spacing and number of strings!

For some reason I can't post pictures so here's the address to my website with pics and a soundfile link

http://lhnborn.com/page5.htm

As before, I'm always interested in feedback

Not sure why you can't post pictures, but here is one of yours in hopes of generating some traffic and discussion.

DSCN3998.JPG

henry norton

Reaction score
Thanks :) I've been away for a while so maybe I just need to get back into it a bit...

The top one's got a standard mounting ring (before it's rounded on the corners ) whereas the bottom one has a wider ring to cover up a larger existing route.

PXLated

Reaction score
Technically I suppose the music store I got it from (B# Music in Minneapolis) was the "first owner ;-)

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No the pictures the right way up. Whether the pickups were photographed upside down is down to personal opinion I guess....

I guess it's just the picture, not a big deal.

This is what prompted me to ask...

Dave

henry norton

Reaction score
Ah I see. It depends on where the builder or player wants the pole pieces to be. The coil of the pickup is directly under and in line with the pole pieces, not the screws, so that's where the focus of the pickup is - I'll post some pictures up when I get a moment which'll explain it better than I can ;)

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ah I see. It depends on where the builder or player wants the pole pieces to be. The coil of the pickup is directly under and in line with the pole pieces, not the screws, so that's where the focus of the pickup is - I'll post some pictures up when I get a moment which'll explain it better than I can ;)

Interesting stuff, Henry. I suppose I knew that, but didn't really give it much thought.

Dave

Mungi

Reaction score
my holy grail bass tone is definitely Jack Casady in '68... here's a shining example... listen to that monstrous chord at 0:55!!! but the entire tune is unbelievable... oh and that run at the very end... mmmmmm 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=777OLZzfurc

There is nothing like Jack's sound in '68. Love that song also, especially the live version. I still get goosebumps every time I hear it even though I have been listening to Airplane for about 23 years now. To my experience, Darkstars will not get you there. Bisonics will get you half way only. I always wonder how much the pan-o-flex has to do with the sound.