HD-28 for D12-20 trade

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
evenkeel said:
Congrats on the safe arrival of your D12-20. She looks terrific.

re: the tuners. It's a real pain in the neck, but if the "grabiness" issue becomes overbearing try taking the tuners off, taking them all apart, carefully cleaning and oiling them and then put it all back together. My experience is these tuners are very sensitive to dirt and grime. Just a tiny bit will cause them to hang up, stick, bind etc..
Yeah, I think I'm going to give them some love and try a string change soon. Thanks, Keel.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
If this will be your first string change on a slot head, good luck and be careful.
Have some band aids handy.

What strings will you be trying?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:D :D Yeah, I know!!! :D I'm going to use the Taylor method (clip the ends, one wind to the inside, the rest to the outside)

Well, she's already got PB strings on her (probably D'Addarios) and sounds great. I'll probably stick with those.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
Congrats Charlie. I don't really care for the look of traditional square shouldered dreads, but am a sucker for the sloped shouldered version both 12- and 14- fret versions. She is a looker.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh my!!! Just got her back from Pete, my luthier, and I am really excited about this guitar. Just needed some filing of the nut, and the guitar is playing just the way it should.

This guitar is magnificent. I may have a new passion! FWIW, now that the D12-20 is setup right, I think I got the better end of this trade!!! I am thrilled. WHat an incredible sounding (and now playing) axe!

I put a new picture in the first post. I'll take some more if/when I restring her and give her some real love. The current strings are perfect right now, so I'm not touching her.

Oh, and for the record, Pete turned me on to a pinpoint applicator for some light oil that Stew-Mac sells. He made these old plate tuners work nicely.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories ... &xsr=60625

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
The new arrival sure looks great Charlie, and nothing benefits more than a 12er from a proper setup by someone who really knows what they're doing. Play it in good health!

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Sweet Very glad to hear you got the Martin all spiffed up and playing the way it should. Enjoy!!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
a little love today... new strings, no blood. :)

So, first of all, this is the properly functioning nut since Pete, my luthier, set me up. Kinda neat to see:

IMG_4255_zpsc1402fa1.jpg

Pretty fretboard:

IMG_4253_zpsd9295943.jpg

So.... not too shabby with the strings, right? I went with the Taylor method - one wind in, the rest out.... The only string I had a little trouble with was the high G (6th)... I've had the same problem on paddleheads where the string pulls back through the hole while I'm winding.

IMG_4260_zpsa812eca0.jpg

(a little less stark without flash):

IMG_4262_zpsa67c8d6c.jpg

She's a real honey. I enjoyed taking care of her today! Good day!
A few obligatory shots of the guitar interior. Boy.... pretty clean build considering this guitar is from 1970, except for the glue stain from where I presume they misplaced a brace!! :)

IMG_4242_zpsf37001ed.jpg

IMG_4248_zps6c0b2bec.jpg

IMG_4245_zpseeb4c98c.jpg

IMG_4247_zpsbfe31b24.jpg

IMG_4252_zpsbf358fef.jpg