HD-28 for D12-20 trade

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
Good luck with the swap Chaz. I was following your posts on AGF and they love themselves the Hd28's. It's your swap so have fun with it.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Brad Little said:
Chaz,
I had a D-12-20 for a year or so before it was stolen from my son's apartment. I thought it was okay, but I wouldn't put it in a class with my 212 or 512. My brother-in-law, who had it before me, said he always regretted selling his Gibson 12 and buying the Martin, it just didn't sound as nice as the Gibby to him. I don't know if mine was typical or not, or just that I was so used to the sound of the F-212 that I couldn't bond with it, but I was more upset that my son didn't tell me about the theft than actually losing the guitar.
Brad
Hey, Brad... Nice to hear from you!! Hope all's well!

Well, almost all of the 12-stringer folks I've talked to over the years have a soft spot for the D-12-20. Yours is one of the few mediocre reports I've heard, but thanks for passing that along. And, well, yeah, I could understand how you feel about your son not telling you about the theft, but maybe he didn't want you to worry. :( Bummer, man.

There is one Gibby model from the early 60s that I would love to add to my collection, but I don't know if a trade will come along for that one that would make sense to me. Maybe someday.

Just for full disclosure, there are two Guilds that I've never owned that are on my bucket list... an F-312 and an F-612. What I'd really like to do is trade the G-312 for an F-312, but that would cost me some money. And, an F-612.... well, unless I can convince Kim to build me one, you know what the odds are I'll ever see one of those! :D :D My biggest fear is that Guild decides to reintroduce the F-312. Like I always say, be careful what you wish for! :D

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
So, my HD-28 is on its way to Cali, and a D-12-20 is on its way to me.

Super cool. Looking forward to a full report once you get it :!: :D :!: :D

charliea

Reaction score
Well, almost all of the 12-stringer folks I've talked to over the years have a soft spot for the D-12-20. Yours is one of the few mediocre reports I've heard, but thanks for passing that along. And, well, yeah, I could understand how you feel about your son not telling you about the theft, but maybe he didn't want you to worry. :( Bummer, man.

There is one Gibby model from the early 60s that I would love to add to my collection, but I don't know if a trade will come along for that one that would make sense to me. Maybe someday.

Just for full disclosure, there are two Guilds that I've never owned that are on my bucket list... an F-312 and an F-612. What I'd really like to do is trade the G-312 for an F-312, but that would cost me some money. And, an F-612.... well, unless I can convince Kim to build me one, you know what the odds are I'll ever see one of those! :D :D My biggest fear is that Guild decides to reintroduce the F-312. Like I always say, be careful what you wish for! :D[/quote]

I'm curious to hear what you say about it. My only Martin experience was a D12-35 and that guitar left a whole lot to be desired. Pretty, but with an unbalanced, muddy sound. Never could get used to the 12-fret neck, either. It's awfully short, and if you use a capo there's just no room to maneuver. Anyway, waiting for that report!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It'll be a little while, Charlie. :)

I've owned a couple of short scale guitars, and while we're not talking about the same thing here with a 12-fret, I think I'm going to like it. We'll see, right?

Ridgemont

Reaction score
I'm late to the party, but I think you made the right decision considering the 12-er is on your bucket list. While HD28s are nice, they are a dime a dozen and you can always get another. They are, after all, one of the most highly produced guitars to come out of Nazareth. Have fun with the new guitar Charlie.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, thanks, Ridgy.

The case latches didn't feel too cold this morning so I took the case out of the shipping box after about 15 hours of temperature equalization sitting in the box. I'll pop the latches when I get home tonight. Cross your fingers for me.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Say hello to my 1970 Martin D-12-20. She's a beaut and a real honey to play. Hard to believe she's 42+ years old!!! Doesn't look it. Oh, and yeah, that's me behind that Troy-Bilt blower! [TimAllen]Oink, oink[/TimAllen]

Color me happy. May take me a little while to get used to the 12-fretter. It feels like a short scale, but not exactly (it isn't, of course).

IMG_4212_zpsbe519c64.jpg

IMG_4211_zps00f1a674.jpg

IMG_4210_zpsbbe3ec90.jpg

IMG_4209_zps6e8131f0.jpg

IMG_4208_zps6a78a042.jpg

IMG_4207_zps21d63c29.jpg

IMG_4199_zpse6855ff1.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Hey, this is my first steel string without a truss rod! Neck doesn't need it, and it's nice and LIGHT! Lovin' it.

I don't particularly love the plate tuners though. They are grabby; maybe a sign of age as it's very reminiscent of my old Favilla classical. I'll try adjusting the screw and maybe lubricating the gears. I *do* know that I like 'em better than the monstrosities that they put on these guitars in the '60s.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Good to see that the guitar arrived in great shape.
The one that I played a few years ago was very nice.
It sounded great when I capoed it up 2 and strummed some Gordon Lightfoot on it.

Doesn't it have a non adjustable truss rod?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Taylor Martin Guild said:
Good to see that the guitar arrived in great shape.
The one that I played a few years ago was very nice.
It sounded great when I capoed it up 2 and strummed some Gordon Lightfoot on it.

Doesn't it have a non adjustable truss rod?
Yeah, I was on pins and needles all week while it was traveling across the country. But, yeah, all's well.

TMG, you're right on. There is indeed a metal rod in that neck. I hear from other Martinphiles that adjustable rods didn't appear until 1986.

I've been inaugurating this guitar with a smattering of Sheryl Crow songs. Might be more appropriate for a Gibson, though. ;)

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Congrats on the safe arrival of your D12-20. She looks terrific.

re: the tuners. It's a real pain in the neck, but if the "grabiness" issue becomes overbearing try taking the tuners off, taking them all apart, carefully cleaning and oiling them and then put it all back together. My experience is these tuners are very sensitive to dirt and grime. Just a tiny bit will cause them to hang up, stick, bind etc..