HD-28 for D12-20 trade

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have an HD-28 6-string, and a fellow from the UMGF and I are discussing an interesting trade. He has a D12-20, which (to me) is one of my bucket list 12-string guitars. It's a slope-shouldered mahogany dread with slotted headstock. Just beautiful.

Anyone think I'm nuts? Unfortunately, this means we have to ship these guitars cross-country, and I may hold off on that until spring. Haven't decided yet.

[edit: 9-Mar-2013: Say hello to the new member of my 12er family. I am absolutely thrilled!]

IMG_4228_zps17bd9bff.jpg

ladytexan

Reaction score
Charlie, I sure don't have an answer for your conundrum, but the D12-20 sure is a great lookin' model, huh? ;) Having a 12-fret, 12-string....well, WOW! 8) Just one kewl guitar!

Martin_D12-20_fr_opt.jpg

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Not nuts at all. I've owned a D12-20 and have played another. Mine was nice, got it as a project. Needed a neck reset, bridge was lifting, few loose braces. When it was all done it played very well. The other D12-20 was simply stunning. One of the very best 12'ers I've ever played. Bright shimmery sound that is very different than any other 12 string I've ever played. Mine was close, but not quite as good. It may well have improved once it settled in after all the work. But I sold it, plus my F-212 suits my needs a bit better.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's it, Toni. This fellow's has a replaced pickguard, but other than that it looks like your picture. It's a 1970 model (my HD-28 is 1995).

Keel, thanks for the thoughts. Whew. I'm glad I'm not apparently crazy on this. The truth is, I've never played one, so I've really gone on other peoples' opinions on this one.

I suppose the better questin will be whether I'm nuts to own 7 12-strings.

Where's 'Strang???? :D :D

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The good news, Shady....

I like pears. :D :D

This shape is called "slope shoulder" dread. I don't know who coined it, but Martin has been making a number of their 12-fret slotheads this way for a long time. What do you think?

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Re: HD-2''8 for D12-20 trade

Go for it, Charlie! I had a D12-20 when I lived in Texas (and had a real job), and I loved it. In fact, it was my first 12 string. It's one of those "wish I had it back" guitars but I let it go to add to my 'Westward Ho' war chest.

If it feels good, do it! :wink:

Joe

frettedstrings

Reaction score
I am not a Martin Guy (I like my Guilds) but I do like 12 Strings and Old Acoustic Guitars. A Martin for a Martin ... sounds like a good trade ! ... Now if the 12 er was a GUILD .....

-frettedstrings

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
frettedstrings said:
I am not a Martin Guy (I like my Guilds) but I do like 12 Strings and Old Acoustic Guitars. A Martin for a Martin ... sounds like a good trade ! ... Now if the 12 er was a GUILD .....

-frettedstrings
Got all the Guilds I could want, Tim. Well, maybe not all. :D

frettedstrings

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
frettedstrings said:

-frettedstrings
Got all the Guilds I could want, Tim. Well, maybe not all. :D

Chaz,

I only see 4 Guild 12 ers on your list !?

-frettedstrings

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I'll add a few more comments. The tone of my friends D12-20 was spectacular. Warm, chimmery, very woody tone. Very bright but w/o any brittleness. This is going to sound like blasphemy but the Guild Jumbo 12'ers, particularly the spruce/rosewood models have to much of a good thing for me. Huge overtones, ton's O' volume, lots of low and high end oomph. My F-212 with the smaller body and mahogany back fits the bill for me because it does not have all that going on. Same thing with my friends D12-20, but with an even better tone quality.

I also should admit a part of the reason for selling was the slot head. Restringing a 12 string slot head I found to be a big pain in the butt. Always resulted in a bit of blood loss and some rather bad language. :wink: :roll:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
tim said:
Hehehe.... not enough, Tim?! ;) Seriously, there are only two more that interest me, the F-312 and F-612. An F-312 is probably a likely trade someday when I unload the G-312, which just gets no playing time. The F-612... well... the word "unobtainium" comes to mind. ;)
keel said:
I also should admit a part of the reason for selling was the slot head. Restringing a 12 string slot head I found to be a big pain in the butt. Always resulted in a bit of blood loss and some rather bad language.
I'll probably pick up an auto-winder. I had a Taylor slothead 6-string for a while, and that was pretty easy. I'll have to see if I can perfect a method that keeps the blood in my fingers. ;)

6L6

Reaction score
The D-12-20 is my all-time fav 12 string.

Here's a pic of my '69 right after it's recent neck reset and fret job (all work done by Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA):

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

Bill

6L6

Reaction score
6, you're gettin' me all jazzed up here!

Well, don't get me wrong here. I love Guild 12 Strings too! The '06 F-412 I used to own was a fabulous instrument!

But when it gets right down to it, those 12 fret D-12-20's just have a uniqueness in tone that I don't find elsewhere. For many years I owned a '69 Martin D-12-35 that sported the most beautiful Brazilian rosewood back and sides I've ever seen on any guitar. But then I walked into Gryphon one day and played the D-12-20 shown above. The D-12-35 was quickly sold to another owner and replaced by the D-12-20.

All of that said, I miss not having the extra two frets on some songs...

Bill

frettedstrings

Reaction score
Chazmo said:
tim said:
Hehehe.... not enough, Tim?! ;) Seriously, there are only two more that interest me, the F-312 and F-612. An F-312 is probably a likely trade someday when I unload the G-312, which just gets no playing time. The F-612... well... the word "unobtainium" comes to mind. ;)
keel said:
I also should admit a part of the reason for selling was the slot head. Restringing a 12 string slot head I found to be a big pain in the butt. Always resulted in a bit of blood loss and some rather bad language.
I'll probably pick up an auto-winder. I had a Taylor slothead 6-string for a while, and that was pretty easy. I'll have to see if I can perfect a method that keeps the blood in my fingers. ;)

Do you have pictures of your G-312, Chaz ?

-frettedstrings

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Chaz,
I had a D-12-20 for a year or so before it was stolen from my son's apartment. I thought it was okay, but I wouldn't put it in a class with my 212 or 512. My brother-in-law, who had it before me, said he always regretted selling his Gibson 12 and buying the Martin, it just didn't sound as nice as the Gibby to him. I don't know if mine was typical or not, or just that I was so used to the sound of the F-212 that I couldn't bond with it, but I was more upset that my son didn't tell me about the theft than actually losing the guitar.
Brad