1969 Guild F512 Custom Brazilian-ANGELIC! PICS/sound clips

dadthrash

Reaction score
My good Friend and playing partner Duffy Callaway ("mcduffnw" on LTG) came over a few nights ago to help me do some recording. He broght his 1969 Guild F512 Custom Brazilian with him. Now mind you, I have known he has this Guitar and actually heard it a year or so ago.....BUT.....

I must have been suffering from "Vintage Guild GRAIL Tonal Amnesia" because when he pulled it out and started playing...I thought the Angles were singin' in my Front Room! I quickly grabbed my little Zoom H2 and got some clips. I've been arouind and heard lots and lots of 12 strings Guys, and I use alot of adjectives at times to describe tone. I had no idea any 12 string.....I mean any 12 string couild sound like this.....

SIMPLY ANGELIC TONE! That is the only word I can/could think of.....ENJOY!

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single ... i&newref=1

Best,
MRT

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Re: 1969 Guild F512 Custom Brazilian - ANGELIC! (sound clips)

Pretty starlight allright.... Nice touch, and Guild rules when it comes to 12 strings, that's a fact....jack :lol: Steffan

idealassets

Reaction score

Thank you for sharing the sound clips. Is there any possibilty that you can get a few images of this guitar. THat would be the frosting on the cake.

Thank you,
Craig

dadthrash

Reaction score

idealassets said:
Thank you for sharing the sound clips. Is there any possibilty that you can get a few images of this guitar. THat would be the frosting on the cake.

Thank you,
Craig
I actually think "mcduffnw" is planning on doing a pictorial and story about the guitar some time soon.

I'll give him a gentle nudge...but I don't think it will happen till after the 1st.

Best,
MRT

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Tonal magic. What a beautiful sound.

Dave 8)

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Nice picking!

Of course it didn't happen without pics!!

bdeclee

Reaction score

Lovely! I think Duffy and I might have corresponded at some point. I believe his serial # and mine are just a few #s apart, if I remember correctly. One more reason I'm glad I did not sell mine in the end. There is nothing like that sound.
Cheers,
Barbara

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Thanks for two very nice clips. What a sweet sounding Guild; started my day off right... :D

ladytexan

Reaction score

Thanks so much for sharing the soundclips with us! It's a magical Guild 12-string, for sure! Gosh, every Guild lover should have at least one 12-string, IMHO.

Can't wait to see the pictures. :)

mcduffnw

Reaction score

Hi everyone!!!

It's me...Duffy...

I thought I would take this Holiday season to introduce myself to this wonderful forum, and I thought I would do so by telling the long and remarkable story of my Guild 12 string. I am recovering form Hernia surgery last week, and since I also survived the end of the Mayan Calender, I thought this might now be appropriate time to meet you all and share my "tall and wonderful tale"!!!

I have been lurking on this site for a couple of years, and joined as a member a number of months ago, but I decided to wait to "come out" when I felt I had the time to share my story with all of you, which, I feel I can now, with some R&R time on my hands, AND...the gracious and generous help of my best friend...Mike "dadthrash", who will help me post all the pictures and offer "technical" assistance in this adventure.

I will send Mike some pictures to post of my guitar tonight, so hopefully sometime tonight/tomorrow, you will get a teaser peek at this wonderful instrument. My history with this guitar dates back to 1992 when I first laid eyes on it...and yes...even then...I knew what an amazing, and rare, and magical guitar this was...and this guitar weaved it's way, in and out of my life for 18 years, until I was finally able to buy it in 2010. It is a pretty cool story...I think, I hope...and I think you will be quite entertained.

FYI...the sound clips of this guitar...the second one is just me doing the "noodle" in drop D...but the first one is the guitar part to John Denver's song "Rhymes and Reason's", which is THE song that made me want to play 12 string when I first heard it in 1974 on John's first "Greatest Hits" album. And YES!!!...I am a HUGE JD fan...he is the primary person who made me want to play music, play the gutiar and sing.

Here is a little bit more of a teaser for you...

According to the original owner of this guitar, whom lives here in the Portland Oregon area, and whom I believe to be completely truthful in his story about how he came to this guitar, as a member of the New Christy Minstrels at the time...there was/is a "twin sister" to this guitar which was owned by John Denver, and this is how the original owner found out about his/my guitar...and...there is a picture of this "sister" guitar on the John Denver Guitar Research Website, though it is miss-identified as a picture of his #2 Guild F-612. Go to the site, go to the Guild Guitars Section, go to Guild 12 String #2 section.

Go to the second row, and then the 5th picture over from the left. It is a head and shoulders shot of John in a blue shirt with light blue cuffs and shoulder patches, and that guitar is John's 1969 F-512 Custom, and the sister to my guitar. Notice that the guitar's waist is not as deeply curved as the F-612 waist, and that the pick guard is a completely different color and dappling pattern than the pick guard of his F-612 #2.

So there you go...a little bit more to nibble on until Mike and I can cue up the 33 1/3LP version of the story...next week with any luck!

Have a wonderful Holiday Season!!!
I can't wait to be a more active member in the years to come!

Kind Regards
Duff

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Great story. Welcome aboard Duff...

Triggs

Reaction score

McD, that is a wonderful rendition of Rhymes and Reasons by John Denver!!

bdeclee

Reaction score

Hi Duffy!

Remind me what your serial # is again -- isn't it OC223 or something like that? I wish the John Denver research folks knew the serial #s of his guitars, because if you are right about a "sister" guitar, that would be the way to prove it. You might not remember as part of my story that the pawn shop dealer I bought it from claimed that it had been John Denver's guitar, but at the time I just thought he meant "John Denver plays one like this." Also, as Carlo Greco told me (and this is borne out by some real world evidence), he did make several of these guitars.

Looking forward to hearing your story! AND THE PHOTOS!!!

Cheers,
Barbara

ladytexan

Reaction score

Welcome to the gang, mcd! No better way to make a first post than with a story about a 1969 F512 Custom Braz! Quite an entrance. :) Well-done!

And, the story of your F512 and Barb's F512 may be being sister guitars makes me believe in Santa Claus, again! Now that, Virginia, is a GREAT story! Can't wait to hear and see more!

Again, welcome, Duffy! :D

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Welcome, Duffy. Great story, and fantastic guitar.

Dave :D

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

ladytexan said:
Welcome to the gang, mcd! No better way to make a first post than with a story about a 1969 F512 Custom Braz! Quite an entrance. :) Well-done!

And, the story of your F512 and Barb's F512 may be being sister guitars makes me believe in Santa Claus, again! Now that, Virginia, is a GREAT story! Can't wait to hear and see more!

Again, welcome, Duffy! :D[/quote

Makes me think, yes Santa Claus there is a Virginia. :lol: Steffan

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score

Thank you for posting the sound clips.
To me, nothing sounds better than a Guild 12 string playing a John Denver toon.
Your friend did a great job on it.
Sounds like a wonderful guitar.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Great sounding guitar! A guitar that sounds like that deserves a good story to go along with it!

walrus

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

I started playing Guitar due to John Denver as well. I used to know just about ALL his songs in strumming and simple picking pattern style, but, I have played must of his for years. Once I heard the intro , I knew what it was and could almost remember all the words. I've just recently gotten a used Ovation 12 string, which sounds darn nice too. I think some of what we heard was a well PLAYED 12 string. They can't sing by themselves, you know !

dadthrash

Reaction score

On behalf of "mcduffnw"......with pleasure Folks.....Here ya go.....1969 Guild F512 Custom Brazilian

MVC-571F.jpg

MVC-591F.jpg

MVC-606F.jpg

MVC-592F.jpg

MVC-595F.jpg