1969 Guild F512 Custom Brazilian-ANGELIC! PICS/sound clips

mcduffnw

Reaction score
RussB said:
Welcome aboard Duffy! 8)

Thanks for sharing your great playing and pics of your outstanding Guild. A "Holy Grail" Guild I tell ya!

Hi Russ...

Again...Thank You...for words of good will!!! Yes...it really is a Holy Grail guitar for me, very much in the same vein as the fabled F-612. Of course, I still keep finger in the wind for that unicorn...but...if I never find it...very likely...I have no regrets, as what I have is so wonderful!

Kind Regards
Duff

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guys and Gals,

I had the most delightful opportunity to meet Duffy and his lovely wife, Tammy, today. And, yes, in a moment of generosity untold...I got to play that 12 string! In a word:

Unbelievable!

It is everything Duffy has described and more. The sound just *shimmers* off that instrument. To play it was an unforgettable experience, but I got to sit directly in front of that guitar while Duffy played it. As many of you can attest, I am rarely speechless ( :shock: ) but I was at a loss for words. And did I mention the color of the back of the guitar? WOW! It is truly a visual and sonic beauty!

I thanked him for the opportunity and tried to leave with the guitar, but he was much too sharp for that and blocked my exit. That was when I noticed the fire in his eyes. People, don't even think about acquiring this baby. It has a home forever. :D

Seriously, thanks again, Duffy. Downright 'Far Out'!

Christopher

mcduffnw

Reaction score
Christopher Cozad said:
Guys and Gals,

I had the most delightful opportunity to meet Duffy and his lovely wife, Tammy, today. And, yes, in a moment of generosity untold...I got to play that 12 string! In a word:

Unbelievable!

It is everything Duffy has described and more. The sound just *shimmers* off that instrument. To play it was an unforgettable experience, but I got to sit directly in front of that guitar while Duffy played it. As many of you can attest, I am rarely speechless ( :shock: ) but I was at a loss for words. And did I mention the color of the back of the guitar? WOW! It is truly a visual and sonic beauty!

I thanked him for the opportunity and tried to leave with the guitar, but he was much too sharp for that and blocked my exit. That was when I noticed the fire in his eyes. People, don't even think about acquiring this baby. It has a home forever. :D

Seriously, thanks again, Duffy. Downright awesome!

Christopher

HI Christopher...

Yes folks...It was a WONDERFUL morning!!!

Many of you know Chris...from all of his involvement here on the forum, and his involvement in the LMG series of events. Amazingly...he is a homeboy from here in Portland, and we had the great fortune to meet at my friend Luthier John Greven's house to visit and play guitars.

For those who do not yet know Chris in person...he is a man of enormous and radient positive energy and vibe, and you feel it instensely...in a good way...when he is around you. He regaled John, my wife Tammy, and myself with many wonderful stories of his life, and his times performing, and of course he played quite a bit for us...and he is a superb guitar player!!! John and I kept handing him different guitars to play, and I think he had quite a good time sampling a number of John's instruments...though I think he was particularly fond of two of Johns smaller 00-12 fret vintage Martin style guitars. Those two instruments ARE indeed exceptional...one is Lutz Spruce/Brazilian Rosewood, and the other is Lutz Spruce/Flamed Maple...and they both have a power and presence that greatly belies their smaller size...and Chris made them both sing beautifully. It was also quite fun to hear Chris play my 12 string...it is so nice to get to hear it from out front once in a while, and Chris more than did it justice with his fine touch...which is tricky because I have the action set extremely low...amazingly low for a 12 string, just ask Chris,he'll vouch for that...for gentle fingerstyle play...so you need good "touch" chops to play it...and great chops Chris does indeed have.

As Chris said that he will be in town for a while yet, we are looking forward to getting all back together...and I am going to get my great friend Mike "dadthrash" together with us all as well, and we are going to play and sing, and have a ball!!! Maybe we will attempt to record the festivities...just for posterity...or to cover our posteriors...or some such thing...

Thanks again Chris for a truly great morning...and here's to the great fun of meeting again to play...and Thanks to John Greven for playing host...a great guy, and a pretty fair luthier to boot!

Kind Regards
Duff

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
mcduffnw said:
As Chris said that he will be in town for a while yet, we are looking forward to getting all back together...and I am going to get my great friend Mike "dadthrash" together with us all as well, and we are going to play and sing, and have a ball!!! Maybe we will attempt to record the festivities...just for posterity...or to cover our posteriors...or some such thing...
Ohhhhhh you guys, That's a wonderful story! Really made my morning here! :D :D I can just imagine how nice that whole room would have sounded, and with such great folks.
Michael 'Dadthrash' joining in would have made it all complete! So glad that such an evening is planned. I can imagine how nice that wil be.
Good times, good guitars, good music with good people...........What a Great combination. :D
Good on you guys! :D :D

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
John's guitars are amazing and a testament to his years of knowledge and experience.

His 00 Brazilian 12 fret has completely altered my understanding of small-bodied guitars (and here I thought I knew everything - :lol: )

I, like Duffy, have always been a fan of jumbo's. You *feel* the guitar every bit as much as hear it. Smaller bodied instruments have smaller sounds and smaller vibrations, at least, that had been my experience over the decades...

...until I played a Greven 00. My jaw hung open when the first notes rang out and John laughed, saying that was the exact expression he has witnessed on the face of everyone who has played these guitars. The sound is pure quality, the volume is amazing, and the guitar fit so well in my lap I had to change my position to hold it, as I would a classical guitar. It was so very comfortable. I thought of all the "I have to sadly give up my jumbo because it hurts my shoulder / back" stories. This guitar is a viable alternative. As Duffy already mentioned, I played both the rosewood and the maple. Both were fine instruments. John pointed out that the maple records better than the rosewood with no equalization needed. The rosewood "sounds" better unamplified, as those complicated overtones fill the room. Interesting assessment.

I am impressed with John's guitars, but he is swamped with orders or some time to come, so it is pretty tough to get a hold of one.

Here is a link to an YouTube clip of a very similar Greven 00 12 fret, followed by a photo of the one I played:

http://youtu.be/0nbXjpW2iNs

Greven%2000%20Rosewood.jpg

Christopher

Reaction score
Hello, all! I have enjoyed reading the F-512 discussions you had several years ago and finally decided to chime in, hoping to discover even more interesting information about "my old Guild". Let me introduce my 1968 F-512, serial OC-215. I purchased this use on July 8, 1971 and have been playing it ever since. I am particularly interested in following up with "Duff" and his friends to compare and share.

Last year, I took it into a very reputable local luthier for a checkup. A few adjustments and she's playing just like in the 70's! I would love to share more information to see where she fits in the "story". I shared some facts with Hans a few years ago, and have been saving my research.

Big fan of JD's music; saw him in Aspen and Red Rocks years ago. Recently took some picks of his F-612 (really).

Looking forward to the discussion!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Hi Scott. Welcome to LTG! There's a great group of folks around here that enjoy talking' music and guitars. Obviously, Guild guitars in particular! I look forward to hearing more about your 1968 F-512. Those are extraordinary instruments that can sound like a symphony. And you have owned it for almost 50 years! That's great!

As always, we will want to see pictures of your guitar. There is a "sticky" under FAQs about how to post photos. You have to host them on another server. And a reminder, your first few responses won't post in real time because they have to be screened by the moderators.

By the way, I saw the Grateful Dead at Red Rocks back in the summer of 1978 while visiting my brother who lived in Colorado Springs at the time. That is an amazing venue! We had a good time and it was a great show.