And so it begins...... AND ENDS!!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, the roomie just got his Martin guitar kit delivered today. I'll tell ya.... if he can put that damn work station together over the weekend, he can build a guitar.... EASY!! He's built a guitar before, this will be number TWO. It's a rosewood jumbo. Here's what it all looks like unpacked....... let the fun begin!!! :D :D
martinkitw.jpg

CA-35

Reaction score
Re: And so it begins......

Stephen Stills sings a song called "And So Begins the Task" and it begins with "And so begins the task I have dreaded the coming of for so long....." :wink:
Your roomie has a task at hand and that's for sure Tom. :D He's a better man than I.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Joe, I'll be watching and advising and being a general pain in the a$$..... but it's HIS baby. I'd rather spend my time playing my new guitar than trying to build my own. It should be really fun though. He bought it directly from Martin, and as I said it's a rosewood jumbo, but I'm not exactly sure if it's based on any particular Martin model. Scott, I love that SS song!! Judy Collins covered it as well. I think it's pretty exciting..... no dread at all. :wink:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

I have not looked at the booklet which comes with Martin guitar kits, Joe. And they're generally panned online and by my roomie Don, to be vague and inadequate. He's downloaded some additional books and guides and consults a forum. I don't think they give a timeline. Seeing as it's bits and pieces of time here and there (work and life do take up their portion of time) I figure it's going to be a long process. It's all about doing it right and taking the time needed. Of course, if it ends up sounding great, then that's an added bonus, right? I'll keep this thread updated. :D

CA-35

Reaction score

killdeer43 said:
I especially like the 'custom' old board/cinderblock weight for holding that puppy in place. :wink:

Joe

Old blockheads think alike!! :lol:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

killdeer43 said:
I especially like the 'custom' old board/cinderblock weight for holding that puppy in place. :wink:

Joe
These are very specialized tools, Joe..... VERY specialized. I think they were found under the bench in the garage and in the backyard..... :wink: Blockheads, indeed, Scottie.....

Steelpickin'

Reaction score

I like it! :D I'll be "glued" to this thread :lol:
Love to see how other folks approach building guitars.
Looks great!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Thanks, Larry. If anyone would know about building a guitar, it would be YOU!! That last project of yours turned out AMAZING!! We have plenty of tools here at the house, but as you know.... there are some very specialized things that if you don't already have, you must build just so you can build your guitar. I think he's gonna do a waist clamp today. I'm sure mistakes will be made along the way. It's a learning process...... :wink:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score

davismanLV said:
It's a learning process...... :wink:
I can appreciate a good learning process....some of my favorite moments have been just that. I also appreciate that I'm open to learning new things, so there.

Keep the pics coming, Tom. I believe you're creating an audience! :wink:

Joe

Steelpickin'

Reaction score

You got that right,Tom...its all about learning! My buddy went to a camp where they build a guitar from a Martin Kit:
http://www.custompearlinlay.com/Classes.htm

it took a week of working all day long ( its faster when some of the parts are pre made)...came home with a very nice guitar that he will always be proud of! I have seen a few of these Martin Kits and I really like them :D

Larry

Yoko Oh No

Reaction score

i fixed a crack and major ding on the side of my d 50....took a week, and a lot of patience, but came out awesome. I was proud of myself....I don't think I'd have the patience for building a guitar...but I would love to try some day.

keep us posted...this is really good information.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

The neck block and heel block are glued and now the kerfed lining is glued and clamped. The kerfed lining around the top (bottom in this picture) has already been glued. It's starting to take shape......
kerfedlining.jpg