'57 A50?

Reaction score
There's an old Guild guitar for sale locally. From the serial number it appears to have been made in 1957. The only catalog reference I could find was from 1956.
The catalog shows a sunburst "Granada Acoustic model A50". This particular guitar is a solid color.
I can't seem to find much info on this one.
Basically, is it worth anything? Sentimental value?
Any help would be great
Thanks

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The A-50was called the Granada from '56-'60, when it changed to Cordoba. It was Guild's low end acoustic archtop. In good condition, it's price ranges from $800-1000.

Reaction score
Thx for the info. I only saw the pics briefly before my my phone decided to stop displaying them. I think I saw some sort of edging that was funky. Since they were entry level guitars, I don't suppose they came with a case.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
lilricky said:
Thx for the info. I only saw the pics briefly before my my phone decided to stop displaying them. I think I saw some sort of edging that was funky. Since they were entry level guitars, I don't suppose they came with a case.
Sadly, deteriorating celluloid binding is a common problem in the 50's and 60's vintage guitars. Not always, but something you have to be on the look out for.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Don't be fooled by A50's being "low entry" - I had one and it played very well, sounded great. I'm sure others who have one would agree it is a well built guitar. And originally, they would have come with a case, the question is whether this one has it, or perhaps an aftermarket case. Since its a hollowbody, I wouldn't trust a gig bag!

So it depends on the condition and how much repair work needed (if any) whether its a good deal.

And welcome!!

walrus

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don't misunderstand. "Low end" just describes their entry level model. Like a "low end" Bentley, I'll take a low end Guild any day over a high end Takamine.
(Oh hush, all you Takamine owners. 8) )

Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
lilricky said:
Sadly, deteriorating celluloid binding is a common problem in the 50's and 60's vintage guitars. Not always, but something you have to be on the look out for.

I looked at the pictures. I posted these using photobucket. I don't know if thats the correct protocol on this board

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep, that's the typical celluloid shrinking. Most of the time it'll break apart as it shrinks, on this one, the glue gave out instead.

Other than that, it looks nice (a little tarnished on the tailpiece.) Can't tell about the string height or fretwear from the pics, but it certainly looks good if you can get it for a reasonable price.

Reaction score
I have the same model, but a 1959. Mine also had some binding issues (nearly fixed now) and some water damage to the finish on the side near the tail piece. Plays and sounds great, though. Made in Hoboken, N.J.

I used some Maas metal polish to clean up and polish the tail piece and tuners, etc. Works great!

IMG_1117RS.jpg

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG!

IMHO, entry-level Guilds (and others) from the 50's are often far better than many guitars made today - for any level. I have an old M-65 that's a great little player.

The binding thing can be fixed by most any decent guitar repairman. It's a very common issue with old Guilds. Otherwise, that guitar looks pretty darned good. And I think they all came with cases, but for the lower-end guitars they were often just the chip-board types that didn't hold up to 50 years of use.

Dave :D

jte

Reaction score
It was an entry level professional guitar. Now entry level means that crap that WalMart sells. Then, it was a serious instrument.

John