What strings for a Starfire I, and II basses?

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
"6. When I announced at 26 years old that I would begin to take my day job more seriously, we were ONLY a club act with no delusions of making it big, boom- I was out."

I would have booted your *** out of the band if I suspected that you were even just thinking about getting serious about life!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have no idea where this came up and so where I should reply but the strings on my '67 are D'Adario Chromes, as Mr. Face correctly recalled.

idealassets

Reaction score
"6. When I announced at 26 years old that I would begin to take my day job more seriously, we were ONLY a club act with no delusions of making it big, boom- I was out."

I would have booted your *** out of the band if I suspected that you were even just thinking about getting serious about life!
I was especially serious about playing some great music at the time. Its all kind of hazy now, but back then it had something to do with the other guys cars not running, eviction notices, and no bass amp in the group, perhaps a few more things. Albeit in a few other groups there were some great gigs out there that were quite memorable, especially one stint right on Lake Michigan in Tawas City, beautiful place it was indeed.

The strings on my Starfire bass are still what was on it when I bought it, which is some type of flat wounds. There actually is an element of competition in the local music scene. I like the response I get either on a Guild 12 string and vocals, and especially on drums. But the local bass players need not to worry, I am no competition there.

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
"Are short scale DR Legend flats suitable for Starfire bass? Short scale strings from some manufacturers are too short for Starfire, that´s why I´m asking."

No: the silk on those particular strings (SFL-45s) lands in the nut slots. The extra distance between the bridge saddles and string anchor points on the Guild bridge is the reason for this and it is probably why some people mistakenly think that the Starfire is a medium-scale bass. This need for medium-scale strings also holds true for many short-scale basses with string-through bridges (such as the Fender Mustang).

I realize that this is an old thread, but I'm just resurrecting it to say I'm baffled as to why NS Starfire basses ship with rounds on them. Like most of those who responded above, I think these basses work best with flats (Chromes, IMHO) and also think that the rounds that the factory puts on them feel and sound like crap. Though there's really no way to know, I wouldn't even be surprised if a few sales have been lost because people tried out these basses strung with the factory rounds in a store.

OK: that's my 2¢. As you were...

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Wow! Enjoyed reading the nostalgia portion of the thread ��!

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have been enjoying the Deep Talkin' LaBella .110 set flats. On my NS SF1