What strings for a Starfire I, and II basses?

Wilfred

Reaction score
Another TI Jazz flats enthousiast here, on about every kind of bass a great big help to produce the best bass sound ever.

Reaction score
TI Jazz flats are the best string I've ever played so far. Upset I haven't known of them!

Can't wait to gig the out this week and see how they sound with the band!

Cheers,

-Jeff

mikko

Reaction score
DR Legends - best flats ever IMHO.

Are short scale DR Legend flats suitable for Starfire bass? Short scale strings from some manufacturers are too short for Starfire, that´s why I´m asking.
I just bought a set of long scale Legends for my P-bass and I´d like to try them on Starfire too.

Mungi

Reaction score
Are short scale DR Legend flats suitable for Starfire bass? Short scale strings from some manufacturers are too short for Starfire, that´s why I´m asking.
I just bought a set of long scale Legends for my P-bass and I´d like to try them on Starfire too.

I have short scales on my SF. The silk starts just a few millimeters above the nut. So, yes, it works, but it wouldn't hurt if they were a couple of centimeters longer. I have not tried long scales.

Mungi

Reaction score
I like TI-flats a lot but I really don't think they go well together with bisonics and darkstars. They sound very weak and dull. I don't know why. On my Casady-bass they sound fantastic.

Mungi

Reaction score
Think what you'd spend on a night at a crap Hollywood movie and an unmemorable meal. Suddenly strings are cheep.

+1 And strings are cheaper than basses. The difference in sound can be bigger between two sets of strings on the same bass than between two different basses with the same strings.

Oldbassguy

Reaction score
Any one use the D'Addario XL 45-100 on theirs? That is what I have on mine. I used to have some sort of flats on it but they were like 15 years old - really loved the thump - but got talked into trying the XL's when I finally took it in for some needed love from a luthier... Which I think sound OK, but seem a bit brighter to me than my old flat wound strings...

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
I never thought I'd stray from the TI path. But on a whim, I bought a "barely used" set of Pyramids of the right size. I put them on the JS-II a week ago.

Somewhat surprised to find that I really prefer the sound and feel of the G string to a TI Jazz Flat. The jury is undecided on the D. Prefer TIs for the E & A at this point.

I'm gonna use the bass tomorrow night at a bar gig and see how they sound.

Who knows, maybe Ill end up with a mixed set of strings. Now that's real cost effective, right?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I never thought I'd stray from the TI path. But on a whim, I bought a "barely used" set of Pyramids of the right size. I put them on the JS-II a week ago.

Somewhat surprised to find that I really prefer the sound and feel of the G string to a TI Jazz Flat. The jury is undecided on the D. Prefer TIs for the E & A at this point.

I'm gonna use the bass tomorrow night at a bar gig and see how they sound.

Who knows, maybe Ill end up with a mixed set of strings. Now that's real cost effective, right?

You just need to find someone with a different opinion or who is less sensitive to split the sets with. Speaking of which I understand that a barely used set of TI Jazz Flats has been spotted on a Newark Street Starfire but the action, intonation, or player need some adjustment before a public debut. :)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Any one use the D'Addario XL 45-100 on theirs? That is what I have on mine. I used to have some sort of flats on it but they were like 15 years old - really loved the thump - but got talked into trying the XL's when I finally took it in for some needed love from a luthier... Which I think sound OK, but seem a bit brighter to me than my old flat wound strings...

You are probably talking about the D'Addario chrome flats medium scale, light gauge. it says "warm mellow" on the package, or something like that.

I am definately not one to be giving advice to anyone about any Guild bass, but those are the strings that were on my JS1 when I got it. The strings were basically brand new at the time. I loved the way they felt and sounded on the JS. They are more broken in now, and although I want to change them to a new set (of the same) I will probably ride it out a little longer after reading all the comments on old strings, on this forum.

Then we put a new set of them on Jules' 67 SF1. We were equally happy with that, and like I said I like them new and snappy, so to me they were perfect. I think the amp, amp settings, and tone setting on the bass make a big difference too...and how u play...but I like those strings.

Then a 68 SF2 bass came along. The strings on that one seemed much looser and I figured they were old, although they were clean and all...sounded great but felt sloppier like a rubber band. pretty much the opposite of the D'Addarios. I asked the seller what gauge strings were on there because maybe I would change them. this is what he told me: "The strings on the bass are Thomastik infeld jazz flats 32 inch scale. Guages are .043, .056, .070, and .106."

So with that I decided not to change the strings since the gauge is different, and the fact they are the TIs...figured maybe I should give it a chance. Plus I probably will not keep the bass, and I know most other people like those TI strings. So I have played it a little more and the looser strings are growing on me. It definatley sounds fantastic... Hard to say if I had to choose though, I'd probably go with the D'Addario flats for myself, based more on feel than sound. Definately for the JS, and ultimately for the Starfire too I suppose. But that is just me and likely speaks to my lack of experience with the instrument. With that said though we are all different and based on my experience thus far I prefer the tighter tension and smooth feel/texture of the strings.

I have also played a Newark Street bass and liked the way that one was set up with whichever rounds were on there from the factory, just seemed to work for me.

Happy Face

Reaction score
Anyway, I have to ponder attire and gear for our appearance tomorrow AFTERNOON at Bentley's Saloon in Arundel, Maine. ( http://bentleyssaloon.com/ ) I guess I'll haul out my M-85 for this one.

Us old guys love an afternoon gig, no? In fact, don't you all have some happy memories of playing outdoor afternoon gigs from back then.

idealassets

Reaction score
Anyway, I have to ponder attire and gear for our appearance tomorrow AFTERNOON at Bentley's Saloon in Arundel, Maine. ( http://bentleyssaloon.com/ ) I guess I'll haul out my M-85 for this one.

Us old guys love an afternoon gig, no? In fact, don't you all have some happy memories of playing outdoor afternoon gigs from back then.
Yes, most jobs ended at 1:30 bar time, which was actually 1:15 AM. I didn't mind it all because it paid very well at the time. Before Mothers Against Drunk Driving, lots of folks were out and about in the clubs until closing. Not today. That's a sign of the times I suppose.

So then if you do the math, my prolific days in music was all before MADD in the early 1980's; so therefore I am one of "us old guys". Today an afternoon music session would be ideal, but the next best thing is the 7PM til 10PM slot which works out just fine.

Craig

Happy Face

Reaction score
Yes, most jobs ended at 1:30 bar time, which was actually 1:15 AM. I didn't mind it all because it paid very well at the time. Before Mothers Against Drunk Driving, lots of folks were out and about in the clubs until closing. Not today. That's a sign of the times I suppose.

So then if you do the math, my prolific days in music was all before MADD in the early 1980's; so therefore I am one of "us old guys". Today an afternoon music session would be ideal, but the next best thing is the 7PM til 10PM slot which works out just fine.

Craig

Yeah, we were "lucky" to have been playing then, I guess. At least the crowd was psyched and stayed to the end of the night. But I had a reminder of it a couple weeks ago when we were asked to keep on playing until 1 am real time. And then we had to pack up our big ol' PA and amps. It's not so romantic anymore!

But, I was happily remembering outdoor afternoon gigs back in the late 60s and early 70s. Those usually were really fun.

idealassets

Reaction score
Yeah, we were "lucky" to have been playing then, I guess. At least the crowd was psyched and stayed to the end of the night. But I had a reminder of it a couple weeks ago when we were asked to keep on playing until 1 am real time. And then we had to pack up our big ol' PA and amps. It's not so romantic anymore!

But, I was happily remembering outdoor afternoon gigs back in the late 60s and early 70s. Those usually were really fun.

Actually yes, I can happily remember a few great outdoor afternoon concerts, one in particular playing on top of a flatbed semi truck. It seemed good except for when a few bugs decided to attack us. These outdoor crowds were also great. Coolers full of refreshments were usually not discouraged.

Happy Face

Reaction score
Actually yes, I can happily remember a few great outdoor afternoon concerts, one in particular playing on top of a flatbed semi truck. It seemed good except for when a few bugs decided to attack us. These outdoor crowds were also great. Coolers full of refreshments were usually not discouraged.

Ayunh. The best gigs, in so many ways...

idealassets

Reaction score
Ayunh. The best gigs, in so many ways...
I can recall the worst gig ever in the dead of winter.

About 200 of our pals vanpooled to the gig and paid the $2 cover charge. Many of them were "bikers", wearing Harley stuff, but actually owned no cycle- just acting the part. 20 minutes after closing time they were still demanding "One more song!". The club owner told us- "if your biker buddies ever show up again, you are gone". And guess what? We couldn't keep these underachievers away and not to our surprise we were out of that gig.

It was fun for a little while, but eventually that particular posse grew old before long at all. This was back before anyone was married, and they all had nothing but too time on their hands.

Its funny, that some of these guys (girls) are still around. Only now they actually have managed to acquire a Harley.

Craig

Last edited:

Happy Face

Reaction score
An army of loyal fans like like are worth a gazillion dollars! Well, maybe a couple hundred or so...

idealassets

Reaction score
An army of loyal fans like like are worth a gazillion dollars! Well, maybe a couple hundred or so...
Memoirs:
1. An army of fans can be great supporters, even when you know that you were only playing mediocre that day.
2. Hippy vans were popular, and you could fit 10 or more friends in there to take to the gig.
3. Harleys and German Shepherd dogs were popular at the time, so often the dog would be brought to the gig and sometimes lived in the van during the entire show.
4. I was often mistaken for a biker since I had the hair and played drums, and what else? I must of had to have owned a Harley too right? Actually I didn't. All my money went into equipment.
5. As long as we were booked solid, the army of fans followed us everywhere, as though we had our own Deadheads.
6. When I announced at 26 years old that I would begin to take my day job more seriously, we were ONLY a club act with no delusions of making it big, boom- I was out.
7. No problem I thought I was being a good example.
8. No one made it big, a few of them really hit the skids, still awaiting that big recording contract.
9. Life is good I can still play some music, and really like it.

Craig