What strings for a Starfire I, and II basses?

idealassets

Reaction score
I'm going to replace the strings on my Starfire basses. I'm interested in knowing what strings work best, and why you like them. The music style is generic, mostly 60's folk and rock songs; Beatles, John Denver, Byrds, Gordon Lightfoot, etc.

The Starfire I has a Hagestrom pickup and the Starfire II has Humbucker pickups.

Much appreciated,
Craig

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've been using LaBella flatwounds. Not too bright, not too dead, not too tight (unlike Rotosounds), not too loose (TI Jazz Flats). Of course, these are all IMO & YMMV! For the kind of music you are playing, though I would think flats would be perfect, whichever brand you choose.

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
I LOVE T-I. The flats are great, the short-scale rounds are my favorite strings ever.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
ukulelelab said:
TI Jazz flats on my Starfire 2

Ditto, though on Mgod's recommendation, I may have to try a set of the rounds. I wish they weren't so gawdawful expensive though...

idealassets

Reaction score
Hello! Thank you for the comments. I thought my topic was not a very hot one for a day, or so.

I appreciate your opinions. I really should know about strings by now, but my bass playing has been slim to none lately. I can never get enough of the Guild F512 or Rickenbacker 360/12, both in practice and in public.

But perhaps with some new strings a little more bass practice is in order.

Thank you,
Craig

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got D'Addario flats on my Starfire now and used to have some Rotosounds - Jazz Bass, perhaps? From my research I should try the TI's but when I look at the price I don't think I am enough of a player to justify the price. Since "playing at" bass is a better description of me than "bass player" at some point "good enough" suffices,

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
I've got D'Addario flats on my Starfire now and used to have some Rotosounds - Jazz Bass, perhaps? From my research I should try the TI's but when I look at the price I don't think I am enough of a player to justify the price. Since "playing at" bass is a better description of me than "bass player" at some point "good enough" suffices,

Treat yourself Jamie; you only live once! And besides, you've got to hear the almighty thump that comes out of greenie through the Hartke Kickback 12 with the TIs. 8)

mgod

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Think what you'd spend on a night at a crap Hollywood movie and an unmemorable meal. Suddenly strings are cheep.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
mgod said:
Think what you'd spend on a night at a crap Hollywood movie and an unmemorable meal. Suddenly strings are cheep.

Puts this into perspective, doesn't it?

Dave :D

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Except I don't generally go to movies or eat a second time at restaurants that disappoint.

That said, if Greenie has TI's and if I get a chance to play it and if I can tell the difference between Greenie's TI's and my red Starfrie with D'Addarios then I will definitely splurge.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
Except I don't generally go to movies or eat a second time at restaurants that disappoint.

That said, if Greenie has TI's and if I get a chance to play it and if I can tell the difference between Greenie's TI's and my red Starfrie with D'Addarios then I will definitely splurge.

Are those the thirty year old strings? You're setting the bar pretty low! :lol:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
twocorgis said:
fronobulax said:

Are those the thirty year old strings? You're setting the bar pretty low! :lol:

No. The 30 year old flats were Guild strings. Those, along with the original packaging are now in Grot's Museum. The D'Addario flats are about a year old and actually a gift from another LTGer. The 30 year old strings are RotoSounds and now on the JS.

mikko

Reaction score
I have tried the following strings:

-D´Addario Chromes flatwound, medium scale (I didn´t like them because of too “modern” sound)
-Rotosound SM 77, long scale (like them on Rickenbacker but not the best strings for the bass in question)
-TI Jazz flats, short scale (good, except A-, D- and G are too skinny)
-Optima 4099 flatwound, medium scale (good)
-Pyramid Gold flatwound, short scale gauge but custom length (best but also very thumpy)

All above IMHO etc. Short scale strings are usually too short, medium scale is better. On the other hand TI for example, call their strings “short scale” and they are designed for 32” scale length. Many other brands call that “medium scale”.

swamp2

Reaction score
I've been happy with the GHS precision flats - have 'em on all 3 of my short scales. And they're cheap!

chefothefuture1

Reaction score
I use NOS Maximas on both of my Starfires. Lots of growl. Colorful overtones and low tension.
Very different from the modern Optima 4099.

Reaction score
I have only found success with 32" (medium) scale strings; as far as a proper fit.

I have used D'Addario #ENR71M Half Rounds (ground roundwound; Regular Light, 45-100, Medium Scale) and GHS Brite Flats #3065 (ground roundwound; Medium, 49-108). They have a feel and tone more akin to a flat (which would have been the sound back in the 60's when these instruments were made), but are slightly more bendable than flats.

I would like to try the GHS Pressure Wound #7500 (compressed roundwound; Light, 40-096), but feel these may be too light. I prefer compressed roundwound strings on my full-scale basses, but use a more robust gauge (medium light or medium).

Reaction score
just ordered a set of TI flats for the '68 SFII. Looking forward to tryin them out! When i got the bass it had a pretty decent sounding set of rounds on it that were quite old (at least 15yrs), but the bass definitely sounded better with a set of chromes.

i do enjoy the chromes, as they are a good price, and most of the time in stock at music stores. i put them on all the other basses ive got (a few p's and a jazz). all these 34'' scale basses seem to love them. i did try a set of Steve Harris flats on one of the p's just for giggles. i think itll make a good recording bass, but its just too much for gigs!

-Jeff