New GSR T-500

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
t-500.jpg

Just out in the latest Guild news email.. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Only pic I could find...none on the website.

Hot!!

Bing k

Reaction score
The number won't trigger yet on orders. Was also a big surprise in the office in Scottsdale by the sound of things.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow! That is nice! Saw it in my email today - I hope it will sell for less than the MSRP...

walrus

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh wow. About time too!

That looks awful nice - I would have preferred a full-depth one, but it's not like I can afford it anyway - or as if I need another Guild archtop, ha!

Kslam

Reaction score
Zelja said:
I wonder if they are standard P90s or if they have been Franzified?

I hope they haven't been too Franzified. I've played a few Franz equipped old Guilds recently and was disappointed.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Kslam said:
Zelja said:

I hope they haven't been too Franzified. I've played a few Franz equipped old Guilds recently and was disappointed.

Franz pickups can be a little thin into the wrong amp, and if the setup isn't all there. Well set up, into the right Fender amp, with some reverb, they're heavenly!

Zelja

Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
Kslam said:
Zelja said:

Franz pickups can be a little thin into the wrong amp, and if the setup isn't all there. Well set up, into the right Fender amp, with some reverb, they're heavenly!
I find on my CE-100D that the neck is fine but the bridge can do with some more grunt. Being modern "Duncan Franz P90 pickups" makes me think they will have more output than a vintage Franz but not quite that of a modern P90. I bet the bridge & neck will be different specs too.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Would you consider this a "thin line"? Looks like it from the photo...

I could not find any specs regarding the body width.

walrus

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
walrus said:
Would you consider this a "thin line"? Looks like it from the photo...
I could not find any specs regarding the body width.
walrus
The prefix "T" stood traditionally for the "thin" version, so a kind of thinner X-500.
I am positively surprised to see a Guildsby again !!!
Ralf

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Zelja said:
I find on my CE-100D that the neck is fine but the bridge can do with some more grunt. Being modern "Duncan Franz P90 pickups" makes me think they will have more output than a vintage Franz but not quite that of a modern P90. I bet the bridge & neck will be different specs too.
Well, the way to set up a guitar like that, IMO, is to start out with the bridge pickup, get that as close to the strings as sounds good, then lower the bridge pickup until it balances with the bridge pickup, volume wise. It takes a while before you get it right there at that sweet spot, but it's worth it.

I have three Franz equipped hollobody Guilds, all three had the neck pickup too close to the strings to get any kind of balance when I got them.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, baby! :)

What is a "franzified" Duncan Franz pickup? Seriously, what are you guys referring to regarding the pickup? Just curious...

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Yeah, baby! :)

What is a "franzified" Duncan Franz pickup? Seriously, what are you guys referring to regarding the pickup? Just curious...
A Franz pickup is physically very similar to a Gibson P90 pickup, but typically wound to a lower resistance - so we're wondering whether there are typical Duncan Gibson P90 clones under the hood, or a "wound for Guild" version that sounds more like the old Franz pickups.

Hey, that German price isn't half bad, compared to similar guitars!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks, SF, I should have realized that! I know some people like the wider body better, but the thin line will be more feedback resistant, especially since this appears to be a fully hollow body.

walrus

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
walrus said:
Thanks, SF, I should have realized that! I know some people like the wider body better, but the thin line will be more feedback resistant, especially since this appears to be a fully hollow body.
walrus
But the one and only picture does not look like it is a very thin body. Really hard to say without seeing the specs yet.
Ralf