New GSR T-500

Reaction score
Hi Jeff, that's odd about the scale length - I just received my T-500 (10/25) and was surprised to find it measured 25.5 not 24.75 as per the specs from Guild and others. Sounds great although pickups buzz badly - I saw a post about that somewhere too.

Synchro

Reaction score
Just found out that my T-500 has a 25,5" scale, not 24,75" as stated in the specs on the website. Quite a surprise.

Mine just checked out at 25.5" also while my GSR Starfire VI is 24.75".

The GSR T-500 specs on the Guild webpage are all screwed up.
http://www.guildguitars.com/instruments/electric/archive/gsr-t500/#simpleContained4
Somebody at FMIC just copied and pasted the spec sheet template from the GSR Starfire VI, hence the shorter scale in the spec sheet!
For instance it shows: "Neck Material: 3-Piece Mahogany/Maple/Mahogany" when in reality it is a 5-piece Maple/Walnut/Maple/Walnut/Maple neck. Those are the ever inconsistent Guild specs sheets and catalogs...
Ralf

I'm going to have to check to see if mine also is a 25.5" scale. Maybe that's why some chords seem like a stretch to me. Too bad if it is a 25.5"; I prefer the 24.75" scale.

Funny, but I don't seem to notice a difference in playing between 24.75 and 25.5. Maybe that just means I have no skills?

No, Guildman, it means that you're a way more experienced player than me since I notice the "stretch" and you adapt to the longer scale with ease! I readily admit that I'm a novice. Well, I measured and measured again. 12.75" from the nut edge to the 12th fret.

Hi Jeff, that's odd about the scale length - I just received my T-500 (10/25) and was surprised to find it measured 25.5 not 24.75 as per the specs from Guild and others. Sounds great although pickups buzz badly - I saw a post about that somewhere too.

I hope no one minds a bit of Zombie action, but I was directed to this thread today with regard to a T-400 that I purchased and it too was listed as having a 24.75" scale in the specs but measures 25.5". I don't really care, the difference is about 3% and IMO, is imperceptible. I have 24.6" Gretsches, 25.5" Gretsches, 24.75" Guilds and this Guild at 25.5" and I go back and forth without a problem.

I find it interesting that I had some of the same minor QC problems as were mentioned in this thread including a stamped S/N that doesn't match the S/N on the tag.

jcwu

Reaction score
I usually feel the difference in scale lengths in the string tension. 25.5" being tighter.

Synchro

Reaction score
I usually feel the difference in scale lengths in the string tension. 25.5" being tighter.

I agree with that, I do notice the difference in string tension. I probably notice it somewhat less since I started using Thomastik jazz strings because they are round core and very supple. The flat wounds have decent brilliance and the round wounds are very bright but both bend quite easily.

As far as fret spacing is concerned I've never noticed a difference unless I was playing a Gitane with a 26.625" scale length. Every time in play one of those I tend to mess up the long arpeggios until I become accustomed to the scale length.