New GSR T-500

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Walter Broes said:
Steve, who's Darren? And what's an X180?

Frono is correct, re: Darren and here's the X180 with alpep playing it.

picture-112.jpg

picture-96.jpg

Thanks Randy!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just a little more...

Walter Broes said:
Steve, who's Darren? And what's an X180?
Darren volunteered to have the Franz pick-ups in his vintage X-150 measured for the creation of the Duncan "Franz" pick-ups that are in the GSR T-500.

The X-180 is the latest Guild GSR model.

We saw the rest of the run in various stages of completion throughout the factory tour.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification guys! Hmm....of all the models they could bring back, they pick the (very) short-lived X180? Could it be that Guild headquarters could do with a copy of "the Book of Moust" on every desk for inspiration?

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Hopefully now that they have reverse-engineered the Franz pickups they will use them in other models. X500 anyone? How 'bout x175? I'm just glad they didn't do one of those next, it will give me some time to save up and be ready when something like those become available.

guildman63

Reaction score
Being that next year is when Guild is honoring their 60th anniversary there will be something coming out to honor that, they just would not tell us what. A nice Aristocrat would be pretty sweet, IMHO.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
guildman63 said:
Being that next year is when Guild is honoring their 60th anniversary there will be something coming out to honor that, they just would not tell us what. A nice Aristocrat would be pretty sweet, IMHO.
Indeed, we don't really know what's going to make it on the electric front. I'm hoping for a bit of a bumper crop (more even that what we saw this year)... But, don't forget, on the acoustic front we *were* exposed to the 60th anniv Koa F-30 which is definitely coming. That is really a looker!

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Walter Broes said:
Thanks for the clarification guys! Hmm....of all the models they could bring back, they pick the (very) short-lived X180? Could it be that Guild headquarters could do with a copy of "the Book of Moust" on every desk for inspiration?
Well we were informed that all the electric GSR's are a result from a project started years ago in Tacoma. All the bodies had already been built so that's the models they were stuck with. They then just completed the guitars with necks, electronics and finishing.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The Guilds of Grot said:
[quote="Walter Broes":3f8ey6f3]Thanks for the clarification guys! Hmm....of all the models they could bring back, they pick the (very) short-lived X180? Could it be that Guild headquarters could do with a copy of "the Book of Moust" on every desk for inspiration?
Well we were informed that all the electric GSR's are a result from a project started years ago in Tacoma. All the bodies had already been built so that's the models they were stuck with. They then just completed the guitars with necks, electronics and finishing.[/quote:3f8ey6f3]
For the moment, Kurt... For the moment. We don't know what else is going on, but we do know that something else *is* going on or at least is being considered.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Put my vote in for Franz electrics when I was talking to Ren and Darren in the dining room, fwiw.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
Indeed, we don't really know what's going to make it on the electric front. I'm hoping for a bit of a bumper crop (more even that what we saw this year)... But, don't forget, on the acoustic front we *were* exposed to the 60th anniv Koa F-30 which is definitely coming. That is really a looker!
Well, a Koa F-30 is fine and Dandy, but I for one would rather see guitars that have more "Guild identity" in a historic perspective than Taylor-esque variations on existing Guild models. Plenty of cool guitars from Guild's back catalog to pick from, I'd say.

Thanks again for the explanation guys, that makes sense then, about the completed bodies.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Walter Broes said:
Chazmo said:
Well, a Koa F-30 is fine and Dandy, but I for one would rather see guitars that have more "Guild identity" in a historic perspective than Taylor-esque variations on existing Guild models. Plenty of cool guitars from Guild's back catalog to pick from, I'd say.

Thanks again for the explanation guys, that makes sense then, about the completed bodies.
Well, I hope you get your wish, Walter. All I can say, as I *did* say at the LMGIII event, is that LTGers have done their part by consuming a good percentage of these 'leccies!!! As they say, put up or shut up... I think we put up!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Walter Broes said:

While there are other interpretations possible, I got the distinct impression at LMG III that the electrics coming out now were based on bodies that were completed several years ago and never finished. Thus the decisions being made now are along the lines of whether the existing bodies are worth finishing and selling rather than which model to do next. There was a strong suggestion that there is an electric coming out for the 60th that was built recently and in New Hartford but I don't recall which model the speculation focused on. I heard "Aristocrat" mentioned a couple of times but I think it was mentioned as something that could be made overseas in the same plant that makes the Gretchs. Note that I am mixing what I heard from Guild, what I heard from non-Guild attendees and what makes sense to me so this post probably falls somewhere in the rumor and speculation end of things.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
As long as you guys understand that you are conjecturing/hypothesizing/wild-guessing about what Guild has in mind for the future electrics then I'm totally OK with this discussion. Let me be clear... the *fact* is that we don't know anything about what is coming in the future electrics, even for the 60th anniv. No one but a Guild/Fender employee right now has any insight into that. What we can say, definitively, is that we LTGers have clearly had an impact in the thinking of company to even go ahead with the GSRs that they've done to-date, even though those bodies pre-date New Hartford.

Honestly, Ralf, I don't think that the origin of 'leccie bodies is a given. Frankly, if it means more products that we love, like an AA or something, and they get assembled/built/finished in the US, then do you really care who bent the wood? Maybe I shouldn't ask that question, because I really don't want to start another political discussion... but think about what I'm saying. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but seriously.. think about the choices here.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Agreed Chazmo, sorry, I just had read Default's comment in the LMGIII discussion, so since I don't know the details I don't want to further comment. I deleted my previous post.
Ralf

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No, no, no.... Sorry back at you, Ralf. I didn't want to stop your discussion, but I did want you guys to think about what you want for the future! Sorry if I seemed to indicate otherwise. I *love* discussions about the future!

guildman63

Reaction score
Perhaps something completely new and unlike any other Guild previously produced? How's that for an idea? Afterall, while having a remake of a classic is always nice, the classics are still around and, in most cases, are still affordable. Consider that Guild is starting to release electrics again to re-enter the market, with the ultimate goal being to make a quality product that also makes money. Historically, how many companies do well by recycling the past? Probably not many. As Guild fanatics we all want something that either brings us back to our younger days, or reinforces our belief that the classic Guilds should have been more popular with the masses, and can be in the future. That may happen with the release of something like an Aristocrat, which I would love, but would that suddenly compete with the Les Paul or PRS in sales volume? Not likely, although most of us feel it is a superior guitar. I, for one, would love to see some creativity and new inovation that perhaps will attract new fans and please us older fans instead of just pleasing us LTG'ers.

Okay, you may all now proceed in calling me all sorts of vile names :lol: