Guitar Hero - circa 1950

ladytexan

Reaction score
(Did Fess Parker ever play the guitar in the TV series? I don't remember him playing the guitar. Or was it Buddy Ebsen (as George Russel) who played the guitar in the series? :roll:)

1950's Mattel Walt Disney Davy Crockett plastic Ge-tar.
DavyCrockettGe-tar.jpg

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
What a great find, Toni! That invokes lovely memories of coonskin caps, buckskins and an unforgettable ballad that I have found myself whistling, humming or singing repeatedly over the years...

I do not recall him playing a guitar in the film(s), although it has been many, many years since I have seen it.

Fess Parker certainly did play guitar, though. I have read that upon invitation to the Disney Studios he brought his guitar, played a song, met Walt Disney, and was informed weeks later he had been selected for the role of Davy Crockett.

I have to watch it again, now. Thanks for the inspiration!

Christopher

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow... A Ge-Tar. I'll bet it really "cranks".

So, is that Brazilian plastic?

Dave :D

ladytexan

Reaction score
I found a picture of Fess Parker playing a Davy Crocket ge-tar - looks like a D chord (must be a later model than the one posted above). I understand, that in real life, Fess Parker played a Martin D18. ;)

Dave, I imagine the early versions of the guitar were Brazil-plastic! :lol: :lol:

Fess_Parker+Walt500.jpeg

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Mario Maccaferri, who designed the Selmer guitar, which became famous as the guitar of choice for jazz artist Django Reinhardt, designed & marketed a serious plastic guitar:
In 1953, Maccaferri introduced his plastic guitars, which were not meant to be a cheap substitute for a wood guitar, but rather a highly functional instrument that happened to be constructed from plastic.
10458Maccaferriplasticguitarportrait.jpg

6470302_orig.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, the things we shoulda kept when we were kids! :roll:

Great photo of Fess, nice shot of ol' Walt, too!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
MandoSquirrel said:
Mario Maccaferri, who designed the Selmer guitar, which became famous as the guitar of choice for jazz artist Django Reinhardt, designed & marketed a serious plastic guitar:
In 1953, Maccaferri introduced his plastic guitars, which were not meant to be a cheap substitute for a wood guitar, but rather a highly functional instrument that happened to be constructed from plastic.

6470302_orig.jpg
OK, I seem to remember reading about a papier mache backed Maccaferri, but don't remember ever hearing a bout a plastic one...now I gotta go do some digging to find out how they've "held up". :eek:

Ravon

Reaction score
I think it was Jeff Beck showing off a plastic Maccaferri he got as a gift from Jimmy Page (?) on one of the Guitar Center video interviews.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
MandoSquirrel said:

6470302_orig.jpg
OK, I seem to remember reading about a papier mache backed Maccaferri, but don't remember ever hearing a bout a plastic one...now I gotta go do some digging to find out how they've "held up". :eek:

When I worked in a little vintage guitar shop in Alabama (back in the 80's) we had a few of these on the wall.

For me, they were only a curiosity... and a collector's item for those who have to have one of everything.

Dave :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ravon said:
I think it was Jeff Beck showing off a plastic Maccaferri he got as a gift from Jimmy Page (?) on one of the Guitar Center video interviews.
:eek:
Lordy, for all the stories about the rivalry and even animosity between 'em, they sure do seem to have been pretty good buddies in private...they just couldn't stand bein' in the same band together I guess.... :lol: (Jeff's another "tone king" and one of my all time top 5 heroes btw, but I was pretty darn sure you had to already know who he was when I was making suggestions over in the "eq" thread :wink: :D )
(end of veer :lol: )

Ravon

Reaction score
adorshki said:
Ravon said:
:eek:
Lordy, for all the stories about the rivalry and even animosity between 'em, they sure do seem to have been pretty good buddies in private...they just couldn't stand bein' in the same band together I guess.... :lol: (Jeff's another "tone king" and one of my all time top 5 heroes btw, but I was pretty darn sure you had to already know who he was when I was making suggestions over in the "eq" thread :wink: :D )
(end of veer :lol: )
Had both the 'Blow by Blow' and 'Wired' albums but really loved the jazz/fusion on the latter. Of course, any collaboration with Jan Hammer should make it cool 8) Ok here's the Jeff Beck interview but you have to watch him go through his collection of, ho hum, '57 strats and teles and old L-5's and stuff first before he talks about his gifted plastic Maccaferri http://www.vintageandrare.com/blog/2011 ... ollection/

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ravon said:
Had both the 'Blow by Blow' and 'Wired' albums but really loved the jazz/fusion on the latter.
Yeah, I preferred "Wired" over "Blow by Blow" too.
Ravon said:
Of course, any collaboration with Jan Hammer should make it cool 8) Ok here's the Jeff Beck interview but you have to watch him go through his collection of, ho hum, '57 strats and teles and old L-5's and stuff first before he talks about his gifted plastic Maccaferri http://www.vintageandrare.com/blog/2011 ... ollection/
Thanks Buddy!

JerryR

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way, way North East Texas, Wiltshire, England
ladytexan said:
(Did Fess Parker ever play the guitar in the TV series? I don't remember him playing the guitar. Or was it Buddy Ebsen (as George Russel) who played the guitar in the series? :roll:)

DavyCrockettGe-tar.jpg

From memory, Fess borrowed Buddy's (George Russel's) guitar to play 'My land is the biggest, my land is the best,
From the grassy plains, to the mountain crest....' while awaiting Santa Anna's attack when up on the 'battlements' of the Alamo. Buddy did all the 'Davy, Davy Crockett' verses through the rest of the movie. I had an old '78' with the Davy Crockett verses on one side and 'My Land' on the other :D

poser

Reaction score
ladytexan said:

DavyCrockettGe-tar.jpg

Oh My Golly. I think I had one of those. :shock: Unless it's an implanted memory. :lol:

poser

Reaction score
:lol: :lol:

Yup. That's the only way to play those. (literally) :lol: :lol:

I think I eventually broke it, or my brother did, or I took it apart to see the music mechanism. :roll: