"My First Guild" -- post your photos here.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have to go waaay back. This was a picture somebody took at a band practice, probably about 1985 or so.
I'm on the left with a '76 D-40.

SSJ.jpg

Multiple choice time.

I no longer have...

(a) the guitar
(b) the mustache
(c) most of the hair
(d) all of the above

Dave :D

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thunderface said:
Dave,

Why didn't you tell us before that you were a member of The Five Neat Guys?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry! I was trying to avoid the media attention.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I guess this isn't going back far enough for the striped pants, but nice stache regardless...
Not too much trouble when you were eating spaghettis in tomatoe sauce? :shock:

OK, I'll play: D. :lol:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
My first Guild, and still in the stable:

200%2526_09_05_Guild%2520012.jpg

'71 JS II and I really need to take better pictures with less distracting backgrounds.

Mrs. Fro's first Guild:

DSCN7242WEB.jpg

Seller's photo of her D-25.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
drc said:
maybe we should start a new post asking how many people still have there first Guild? OR did someone already do that? And yes I am too lazy to research it myself! :lol:

I can't recall that we have although it must be election season in the USA because I am having difficulty recalling many things. I've toyed with several variations because I am interested in people who bought their first Guild new and still have it, as well as people who still have their first Guild no matter how acquired. Feel free to make a thread with a Poll. If anyone has a better memory than I do and finds an old one we can merge. For the record my sense is that 20 responses to a poll is pretty good for LTG.

eltuce

Reaction score
Bill Ashton said:
Do amps count? Bought it at the Fresh Pond Rotory in Boston (Cambridge), out of a van...having answered an ad in the Boston Globe...March 1968...$35

Weber speaker in it now, but still have the original Jensen P12R. Thought the amp was really old and not really what I was expecting...turns out it was really only 5 years old. Wonder how hot it was? :lol:

HA, love this story. Especially since I know exactly where you are talking about. Looking back I'm betting my first drum set was hot or something sketchy.

gibsonjunkie

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I still have my first Guild; but then again, I only bought it Tuesday! :mrgreen:

PS. The Mrs. finally found out that I bought it and she's happy... not :evil:

Thunderface

Reaction score
gibsonjunkie said:
Well, I still have my first Guild; but then again, I only bought it Tuesday! :mrgreen:

PS. The Mrs. finally found out that I bought it and she's happy... not :evil:
So how comfy is the couch? Is she couchable mad?

charliea

Reaction score
The JF65-12 on the left got me started on my path of buy high/sell low Guild ownership. It now lives with Fixit, who probably means to sellit. If you're looking for an F412/JF65-12 it's a good one, and beautiful to boot. The G312 it's sharing time with is also an excellent guitar. I sold it to the late cap'njuan, who sold it to another forum member (I forget who). Man, that 312 is a loud 12-string!
IMG_2117a.jpg

idealassets

Reaction score
I rediscovered guitar playing in 2010, and bought a 2010 Guild F512 new shortly afterwords (on the right)
I bought it new in Oct, 2010, and still have it. Thats really no big thing, keeping the same guitar for 2 years.

What I have discovered after 2 years of playing the F512 is meeting just a few other players of Guild guitars nearby. I noticed the difference immediately after buying my Rickenbacker 360/12. (That there are a lot of Ric players everywhere) Fender electrics and Taylor acoustics have managed to dominate in this area. Guitar Center has managed to rule the day.

Any of my nice sounding Guild guitars has never resulted in anyone else asking me where they can get one. Still, I like what I have.

Craig

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
I guess this isn't going back far enough for the striped pants, but nice stache regardless...
Not too much trouble when you were eating spaghettis in tomatoe sauce? :shock:

OK, I'll play: D. :lol:

D it is! We have a winner.

The good thing about having a mustache is the fact that you can re-enjoy your sauce several times through the day.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
1990 SF-IV, bought in 2003, traded her for a 2007 Carr "The Vincent" Amplifier in 2009:
CIMG0895.jpg

ladytexan

Reaction score
Bought my '73 D25 all mahogany, arch back at Arthur's Music Store in Broad Ripple Village (Indianapolis). Went with the full intention of buying a Martin D35, but after playing the D25, I bought the superior guitar. :) Love it more now than I did then.

tonid25.png

Jahn

Reaction score
My first real guitar was a crappy korean made acoustic electric dread by Epiphone, a black beast with BRASS adjustable saddles with the worst quacky piezo you've ever heard. and then it got stolen. so now it's the early 90s, and I find a husk on a hook over in West Chester, PA. for $300 I buy it and have the store spruce it up to playability, and bingo, my first REAL guitar, a '67 Guild F30NT Aragon. I kept it for over a decade, and after the dust settled, I still have an F30, but kinda only in name since it's the F30R that has 16" minijumbo dimensions. The '69 F312NT Artist next to it, I still have:

60sMiniJumbosFronts.jpg

60sMiniJumboBacks.jpg

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Jahn said:
My first real guitar was a crappy korean made acoustic electric dread by Epiphone, a black beast with BRASS adjustable saddles with the worst quacky piezo you've ever heard. and then it got stolen. so now it's the early 90s, and I find a husk on a hook over in West Chester, PA. for $300 I buy it and have the store spruce it up to playability, and bingo, my first REAL guitar, a '67 Guild F30NT Aragon. I kept it for over a decade, and after the dust settled, I still have an F30, but kinda only in name since it's the F30R that has 16" minijumbo dimensions. The '69 F312NT Artist next to it, I still have:

60sMiniJumbosFronts.jpg

60sMiniJumboBacks.jpg

Sweet F30!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Same story with my D-25M, Toni - I was headed to the music store intending to buy a Martin. They carried Martins, Gibsons, and Guilds. After test driving hog models of all three brands, I bought the Guild. It beat out the others in terms of intrinsic beauty, sound, and price, what's not to like about that? :D

The Gibson came in second, and that's when they were still making them here in Kalamazoo, MI.

The Gibson was $500, the Martin D-18 was $600, the Guild was $300, all with hardshell cases.

There was just something intriguing about that Guild...the arched back, the fit and finish, and tone and sustain, I just re-strung it the other night and played 3 gigs with it. The DV-52 has only a slight edge in terms of balanced tone, but the D-25 really sings, especially the low tones. Many guitars are bright on the high end but muddy on the low striings - not the D-25M. I use the lower wound strings to mark the tempo of songs, and it sure is nice when the tone is clear and loud. :D