More sharing, more embarrassment, but also more fun!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
After posting some of these in the "Mug Shots" forum, a couple of LTG friends without access to said forum, have expressed some curiosity with respect to what quickly became an ongoing private joke about some purple tights, so in order to not leave anyone behind, and make the joke a little less private, I decided (since this forum is also an appropriate location for these pics), to throw some here.
The story behind these memories is that a couple of old friends were visiting last week end after a trip in Arizona and stopped by to see me and my lovely wife before heading back to France.
Little did I know they had a priceless gift for me in their suitcase: A full DVD of memories from my teenage band including clips, press articles, audio files and pictures, compiled by an ex member of the band, and who gave it to them to my attention.
Awesome gift indeed.... I can't put in words what sentiments seeing this 32 years later, are triggered in my mind.
Note to the jokers: Please keep in mind the period was 1979/1980, thank you for your understanding. :lol:

2j647lf.png

2zy93b5.png

2s0hidk.png

2gv4oyu.png

2wcodbk.png

Press articles:

64jzti.png

69dslx.png

1grtjt.png

2zylj69.png

Even a concert ticket!

1233w60.png

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you. It is amusing to see that facial expression has always been a part of your performance. While there are numerous things that can be said about the purple leggings, what gets me is the Flying V. Really?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tight purple pants, Flying V... wow.

B. B. Requin? B. B. Shark?

Dave :D

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Thank you. It is amusing to see that facial expression has always been a part of your performance.
Oh yeah, I never "worked" on that, it comes naturally when you "feel " the blues.

fronobulax said:
what gets me is the Flying V. Really?
Yep. Why so much aversion for the V? At least I don't have an acoustic V..... :roll: :lol:
Actually back then, I was mesmerized by a guitarist by the name of Michael Schenker (U.F.O.) and was sounding pretty close to his sound with the V/Marshall amps combo.....
Seeing Hendrix and Albert King playing one didn't help either.
And that reminds me of an old debate we had here before, regarding why Guild never made it to the top as Gibson and Fender did.... Had these guys played an S-100 back then, maybe that's the guitar you'd see on these pics. :|

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
Yep, that was the name.
And what? You never wore purple pants?..... What's wrong with you? :lol:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
dapmdave said:
Yep, that was the name.
And what? You never wore purple pants?..... What's wrong with you? :lol:

I'll plead the 5th. :lol:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
bluesypicky said:
fronobulax said:
Thank you. It is amusing to see that facial expression has always been a part of your performance.
Oh yeah, I never "worked" on that, it comes naturally when you "feel " the blues.

fronobulax said:
Yep. Why so much aversion for the V? At least I don't have an acoustic V..... :roll: :lol:
Actually back then, I was mesmerized by a guitarist by the name of Michael Schenker (U.F.O.) and was sounding pretty close to his sound with the V/Marshall amps combo.....
And that reminds me of an old debate we had here before, regarding why Guild never made it to the top as Gibson and Fender did.... Had these guys played an S-100 back then, maybe that's the guitar you'd see on these pics. :|

You pretty much can only play a V standing up and so many folks seem to use a V to mime various acts that used to be banned on American television. But I well remember the days when you played what your heroes did...

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
bluesypicky said:
fronobulax said:

fronobulax said:

You pretty much can only play a V standing up and so many folks seem to use a V to mime various acts that used to be banned on American television. But I well remember the days when you played what your heroes did...

Like a Starfire Bass? :wink:

Nice pants BTW, Pascal!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
twocorgis said:
Like a Starfire Bass? :wink:

Actually no. I never really got into the Dead and Grace Slick was the focal point of my Airplane worship back then. One of the folks in my circle of wannabe rock and rollers was Ray W. Ray had a Starfire bass. My strongest memory is that it was a maple body because the green still remains vivid in my mind. It was probably a II and probably pre-humbuckers but those are conjecture, not memory. When it came time to buy a non-beginner instrument the only brands I really had heard of were Fender and Guild and everyone else was playing Fenders so I bought the JS. Several years later I realized that my True Love was the Starfire and bought one used. I lost track of Ray when I left town but I heard that he had committed suicide so I have absolutely no idea what happened to his bass but I always wonder when a green bass comes to market.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pascal, you're really making my day here!!! :)

Love the outfit. I wish I had some pix of my leisure suit days!

The first girl I ever danced with, we must've been around 13 years old, I had a leisure suit on and this HUGE pewter medallion around my neck. That thing slammed me in the head while we were dancing, and I was too lovestruck to do anything about it. Oh man. Welts!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
You pretty much can only play a V standing up and so many folks seem to use a V to mime various acts that used to be banned on American television.
You mean to tell me that the 1st black and white pic I posted wouldn't have cleared the FCC censorship rulings? :shock:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Chazmo said:
That thing slammed me in the head while we were dancing, and I was too lovestruck to do anything about it. Oh man. Welts!
I remember being 13 too, so I know exactly what you mean, one had to bring more than that to derail our "goals" then! :lol:

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing these pics, Pascal! & What a cool memories, man!

Thank you!

All the best,
B.

P.S. Is there any available recording from that band? Just asking...

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bruno, as soon as my old computer illiterate behind, figures out how to capture some of the audio files from the DVD and convert them in MP3's, I'll be glad to PM you a few! :)

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
Thanks Bruno, as soon as my old computer illiterate behind, figures out how to capture some of the audio files from the DVD and convert them in MP3's, I'll be glad to PM you a few! :)
It would be great, Pascal! I'll wait, then...

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
B.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
gilded said:

Yep, that was shot a couple of months before my arrival as the new lead guitar (I replaced the guy with the strat).
The sound of the band had nothing to do with what you hear on this clip after I brought the stacks of Marshalls in :lol: (I'll try to share if I can figure out the DVD audio file extraction as I was telling Bruno)