Why the heck did Fender name their new Telecaster line this?

Alan_M

Reaction score
So Fender has released the Telecaster Cabronita. If you speak Spanish, you know what this word means. If you don't, Cabron is a slang word for a-hole. Putting an "ita" at the end makes it "little", so the whole word basically means "little a-hole". What in the world are they thinking? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Urban dictionary definition here. I'm not going to quote it because it would not get past the language filter. However that entry and several other sources say the non-slang meaning is "goat" (I hope CapnJuan is chuckling over this. I know default is).

Since some of the slang terms seem to imply an individual with an above average interest in certain activities that will not be discussed in a family friendly forum - I wonder if Fender was hoping people would translate it as "sexy b*tch' and people would think "Hot and ready to rock".

I agree, I can't figure out what they were thinking and suspect that if the innuendo implied is correct they are not aiming at female guitarists.

Or it may be just a corporate foul up. After all General Motors exported the Chevy Nova ("It does not go") to Spanish speaking markets.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
At TDPRI somebody said it means "little bastard", taken from the name on James Dean's Porsche.
If that is the truth, I don't know.

At the Fender forum somebody else said: "The La Cabronita is sort of the illegitimate son of a Tele and a Gretsch and it's a bad-a**, so the name is meant to be said with a smile and a wink."

http://www.fender.com/en-US/products/ca ... telecaster

spyder3-little-bastard-james-dean.jpg

Ralf

Alan_M

Reaction score
Considering the large number of Fenders being made in Mexico, you'd think that they'd maybe choose something else? :roll:
Any way you slice it... lame. Including the guitar itself. I like Tele's, but not gimmicks with stripped down features.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unbelievable.

I think I'm going to move to Scottsdale and open a restaurant called "Los Pollos Hermanos". Any opinions? Bet I'll get a lot of business from the Fender folks. :D :D

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But it's actually already 4 years old when the first single pickup Cabronita came out.

The custom shop version was called "La Cabronita Especial":
http://www.guitarmagazine.co.uk/reviews ... -especial/

There was a "Limited La Cabronita Especial 1" in 2009:
http://www.fendercustomshop.com/CDN/ima ... 1_1000.jpg
And a "Limited La Cabronita Especial 2", also in 2009:
http://www.fendercustomshop.com/CDN/ima ... 2_1000.jpg

Both were advertized as: "Probably the nastiest little guitar we've ever made."

Ralf

Alan_M

Reaction score
I guess if you accept that the translation is "Little Bastard" that's OK, makes sense. I'm in SoCal though, and my friends of Mexican descent all say that the translation is "little a-hole". No matter. The Custom Shop version in Ralf's link seems to be a winner, although I think the whole "relic" stuff is B.S. I don't need someone to beat up my guitar and make it look like I've played it forever. I'll do the honors myself through ACTUAL PLAY! At that price you can buy a vintage instrument anyway, if the 'look" is what you're after. The other versions aside from the newest low-end model are all way overpriced IMHO. For that kind of money I could get something much more tasty... like a GUILD!!!!

Chazmo, better watch out opening that restaurant.. you just might get involved with Walter White! LOL

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alan_M said:
I guess if you accept that the translation is "Little Bastard" that's OK, makes sense. I'm in SoCal though, and my friends of Mexican descent all say that the translation is "little a-hole". No matter. The Custom Shop version in Ralf's link seems to be a winner, although I think the whole "relic" stuff is B.S. I don't need someone to beat up my guitar and make it look like I've played it forever. I'll do the honors myself through ACTUAL PLAY! At that price you can buy a vintage instrument anyway, if the 'look" is what you're after. The other versions aside from the newest low-end model are all way overpriced IMHO. For that kind of money I could get something much more tasty... like a GUILD!!!!

Chazmo, better watch out opening that restaurant.. you just might get involved with Walter White! LOL
That's not my real concern. I just can't stomach the Pontiac Aztek!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
SFIV1967 said:
But it's actually already 4 years old when the first single pickup Cabronita came out.

The custom shop version was called "La Cabronita Especial":
http://www.guitarmagazine.co.uk/reviews ... -especial/

There was a "Limited La Cabronita Especial 1" in 2009:
http://www.fendercustomshop.com/CDN/ima ... 1_1000.jpg
And a "Limited La Cabronita Especial 2", also in 2009:
http://www.fendercustomshop.com/CDN/ima ... 2_1000.jpg

Both were advertized as: "Probably the nastiest little guitar we've ever made."

Ralf

Then the innuendo is probably exactly what Fender was looking for.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Alan_M said:
I guess if you accept that the translation is "Little Bastard" that's OK, makes sense. I'm in SoCal though, and my friends of Mexican descent all say that the translation is "little a-hole".
:lol:
Somehow to me that kind of implies "impudent little so-and-so", which would be a good thing in the grand Frank Zappa tradition of making the rudest noises possible, whereas
"big a---le" would just be a jerk, which would be a bad thing, no? :lol:
As for the whole "relic"-ing issue, yeah, I'm with you..

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
Alan_M said:
I guess if you accept that the translation is "Little Bastard" that's OK, makes sense. I'm in SoCal though, and my friends of Mexican descent all say that the translation is "little a-hole".
Somehow to me that kind of implies "impudent little so-and-so", which would be a good thing in the grand Frank Zappa tradition of making the rudest noises possible, whereas

Funny you should mention Frank. The first time I I heard "nasty" as sexual innuendo was in "Brown Shoes Don't Make It" as in "only 13 and she knows how to nasty". Amazing what making it a verb did.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
adorshki said:
Alan_M said:

Funny you should mention Frank. The first time I I heard "nasty" as sexual innuendo was in "Brown Shoes Don't Make It" as in "only 13 and she knows how to nasty". Amazing what making it a verb did.
I guess back then people didn't understand guitarish yet and needed some extra verbal cues... :lol: